today I have been mostly listening to..............

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Durly
First Team
First Team

Re: today I have been mostly listening to..............

Post by Durly »

faaip wrote:Pearl Jam were never really grunge...Nirvana I agree I'd be happy never hearing again but Pearl Jam just wrote and play great rock music which probably only QOTSA betters
Can I have a word, son............ :red: ........... :wink:
Durly
First Team
First Team

Post by Durly »

Loving this at the moment. Album out early March.

The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Durly wrote:Can I have a word, son............ :red: ........... :wink:

If the word is genius ...then sure
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Durly
First Team
First Team

Post by Durly »

faaip wrote:If the word is genius ...then sure
:lol: Toooooshaaaaay!

I have to say though, never really got it with Pearl Jam. Maybe if I'd seen them live back in the 90s I might feel different. I don't mind them but they've just never really done it for me. I've dipped in and out a few times but never felt it really. Aside from Ten, I don't really know much of their other stuff well. Maybe I should give them another go.

Nirvana, however, were probably the best live band I saw (when they were on form). They could be erratic as hell live too mind.

Edited to say, vast overuse of the word "really" in that first paragraph. Reads like Neil Warnock.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Durly wrote:Loving this at the moment. Album out early March.

Really nice....I need to explore more of her music

New album released on the 3rd March
gessa

Post by gessa »

King Gizzard meets Jethro Tull
Durly
First Team
First Team

Post by Durly »

1964white wrote:Really nice....I need tp explore more of her music

New album released on the 3rd March
Will definitely be buying it. Had a listen through to the pre-release snippets. Sounds very good. The other full track I've heard from it 'Richard', is great too.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Durly wrote::lol: Toooooshaaaaay!

I have to say though, never really got it with Pearl Jam. Maybe if I'd seen them live back in the 90s I might feel different. I don't mind them but they've just never really done it for me. I've dipped in and out a few times but never felt it really. Aside from Ten, I don't really know much of their other stuff well. Maybe I should give them another go.

Nirvana, however, were probably the best live band I saw (when they were on form). They could be erratic as hell live too mind.

Edited to say, vast overuse of the word "really" in that first paragraph. Reads like Neil Warnock.

Seen Pearl Jam twice live and Vedder is a great lead. Never saw Nirvana in their limited time and that maybe a reason they sound dated as they never got the chance to evolve...Nevermind just got overplayed everywhere too including here and that didn't help. I can't listen to Smells like at all now...
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Now this is inventive & still sounds fresh

A wonderful ninety minutes listening today 8-) won't go down well on here :wink:

1964white

Post by 1964white »

Durly wrote:Will definitely be buying it. Had a listen through to the pre-release snippets. Sounds very good. The other full track I've heard from it 'Richard', is great too.
Yes that one is on Spotify
Durly
First Team
First Team

Post by Durly »

faaip wrote:Seen Pearl Jam twice live and Vedder is a great lead. Never saw Nirvana in their limited time and that maybe a reason they sound dated as they never got the chance to evolve...Nevermind just got overplayed everywhere too including here and that didn't help. I can't listen to Smells like at all now...
I think you could see the way Nirvana were evolving and the way they would have gone, had Kurt not killed himself, on the Unplugged album - albeit it was acoustic-ish versions of old songs and covers. I agree that Nevermind and Teen Spirit especially have been absolutely battered to death. It's been everywhere for years. It's still a great, great record though......albeit a little over-produced.

I actually was offered a ticket to go and see Pearl Jam, may even have been the first time they played in London. Was a small, intimate venue, the Borderline I think, if memory serves me correctly, around 1992. I can't remember why but I couldn't go but I think it was one of those "I was there" gigs, so it's a bugger I couldn't get to it.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Would have been the Borderline ..I had tickets to the Brixton gig later in the year but it got cancelled and had to wait til the same venue the following year for my first taste...Saw them again Reading 06. When we were fairly regular Reading goers
Durly
First Team
First Team

Post by Durly »

The very VERY wonderful Bing & Ruth have a new album out today, entitled 'No Home Of The Mind'. Their first release for 4AD and their third album overall. Beautiful, restrained piano music of the highest order. Here's a taster:

hector

Post by hector »

Nursery Crime
Selling England by the Pound

not heard either of these since I was a child at boarding school in the early 70's....

I now understand where Marillion are coming from..... they wish they were Genesis.. :shock: :shock: but are not as melodic or musical..... (ducks down to avoid flak) :lol:

I enjoyed both albums... they really went downhill (more commercial) after Hacket and Gabriel left....
1964white

Post by 1964white »

hector wrote:Nursery Crime
Selling England by the Pound

not heard either of these since I was a child at boarding school in the early 70's....

I now understand where Marillion are coming from..... they wish they were Genesis.. :shock: :shock: but are not as melodic or musical..... (ducks down to avoid flak) :lol:

I enjoyed both albums... they really went downhill (more commercial) after Hacket and Gabriel left....
Not many Marillion fans on here nowadays Hector
hector

Post by hector »

I always felt that I should like them, so have tried again recently.... but just can't..... Early Genesis on the other hand...

I intend to play more of them in the near future.
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

OK, I'm gonna get shot down for this, but Jane Mcdonald on channel 5, cruising with Jane Mcdonald singing Vienna. Listened to it time after time after time after bloomin time. It's now 2.00 am and I'm about to listen to it again, and then maybe again. Absolutely awesome. Pouring myself an Aberlour, here I go with Jane...again.
hector

Post by hector »

whiteswan wrote:OK, I'm gonna get shot down for this, but Jane Mcdonald on channel 5, cruising with Jane Mcdonald singing Vienna. Listened to it time after time after time after bloomin time. It's now 2.00 am and I'm about to listen to it again, and then maybe again. Absolutely awesome. Pouring myself an Aberlour, here I go with Jane...again.
:shoot: :shoot: :shoot:

:-D
hector

Post by hector »

Just for you Swanny.. :-D :-D

gessa

Post by gessa »

whiteswan wrote:OK, I'm gonna get shot down for this, but Jane Mcdonald on channel 5, cruising with Jane Mcdonald singing Vienna. Listened to it time after time after time after bloomin time. It's now 2.00 am and I'm about to listen to it again, and then maybe again. Absolutely awesome. Pouring myself an Aberlour, here I go with Jane...again.

Nothing wrong with Aberlour :wink: