Sunday's Breakfast Debate - NEXT 4 GAMES

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Sunday's Breakfast Debate - NEXT 4 GAMES

Post by The Subhuman »

5 points gets us within 9 with 8 games left..I'd be happy with that
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Norm »

faaip wrote:

Said it before we should really get a like option here ......
Really unsure about that faaip. I'd rather have people telling us what they think and why, rather than just look at a relatively meaningless couple of buttons showing x likes and x dislikes. It encourages lazy thought and knee-jerk reactions because you don't have to elaborate. Now, a 'Sarcastic Like', maybe, but we've already got that with "Right...!"

It's up to Adam and if everybody disagrees with me then that's fine too - I'd just hate this to turn into a Facebook-type trivialising of issues.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Norm wrote:Really unsure about that faaip. I'd rather have people telling us what they think and why, rather than just look at a relatively meaningless couple of buttons showing x likes and x dislikes. It encourages lazy thought and knee-jerk reactions because you don't have to elaborate. Now, a 'Sarcastic Like', maybe, but we've already got that with "Right...!"

It's up to Adam and if everybody disagrees with me then that's fine too - I'd just hate this to turn into a Facebook-type trivialising of issues.
:tup:
hector

Post by hector »

Norm wrote:Really unsure about that faaip. I'd rather have people telling us what they think and why, rather than just look at a relatively meaningless couple of buttons showing x likes and x dislikes. It encourages lazy thought and knee-jerk reactions because you don't have to elaborate. Now, a 'Sarcastic Like', maybe, but we've already got that with "Right...!"

Song machine is coming down....
And we're gonna have a party Uhuhu
hector

Post by hector »

By the way Norm.... I do not have a farcebook account....
Song machine is coming down....
And we're gonna have a party Uhuhu
Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Norm »

hector wrote:

:roflmao:
Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Norm »

hector » Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:39 am

By the way Norm.... I do not have a farcebook account...
I do and I use it sparingly for family contact.
My wife is somewhat discerning but some of her contacts live on the damn thing.
She shows me funny clips and jokes but, when I hear the 10th giggle of the morning and, "Hey look at this" my yawn quotient hits a plateau and I put my earphones on or retreat to the loo for a time out.
Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Norm »

hector wrote:
By the way Norm.... I do not have a farcebook account....
I need new glasses and didn't immediately pick up on the spelling.

Apt.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

I'm with you on this matter Norm
1964white

Post by 1964white »

hector wrote:By the way Norm.... I do not have a farcebook account....
I do but I've rarely use it.

Pictures of sprogs everywhere & adults posing on their holidays.
Reminds me of the embarrassing times when mum use to dig out albums of photos when we had relatives & friends visiting us
Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Norm »

1964white wrote:

I do but I've rarely use it.

Pictures of sprogs everywhere & adults posing on their holidays.
Reminds me of the embarrassing times when mum use to dig out albums of photos when we had relatives & friends visiting us
..or like my mother, bless her, who used to dig out this one photo of me sat on the floor in the nude, 9 months old, hands between legs whilst my head was turned to the camera, smiling (I think it was wind) - hell even I admit I looked like a trainee Benny Hill - every girlfriend I ever took home saw that bloody picture. Thank goodness Facebook wasn't around then because it would have been on there!
When my mum died I burned certain photos believe me.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

I said the same for waccoe but it works...personally I hate all the saccharine comments we get here but that's just me
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Norm »

faaip wrote:
I said the same for waccoe but it works...personally I hate all the saccharine comments we get here but that's just me
I could see replacing them with a like, but does having a like button reduce the healthy expression of views, or is it a bit of a mix? I like your erudition and brevity - you always get your intended point across. Like some others on here, I could see a mix of longform views and Like, but I see nothing wrong with the freeform 'Like' used so effectively by Hector, you and a couple of others. I suppose it would be an education for me to check out waccoe, but I was always deterred by the 'training' period or whatever they call it. Do they still insist on that btw?
Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Norm »

Now a 'Barf' button - that would be progress.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Norm wrote:I could see replacing them with a like, but does having a like button reduce the healthy expression of views, or is it a bit of a mix? I like your erudition and brevity - you always get your intended point across. Like some others on here, I could see a mix of longform views and Like, but I see nothing wrong with the freeform 'Like' used so effectively by Hector, you and a couple of others. I suppose it would be an education for me to check out waccoe, but I was always deterred by the 'training' period or whatever they call it. Do they still insist on that btw?

A like button for me would be an addition not a replacement, I think there are too many :roflmao: when someone posts something amusing. It's the internet equivalent of laughing way too hard at a joke...a like is a brief smile. Or a like can be an echo of someones opinion (it's fairly easy to distinguish) when a duplicate post in different words seems redundant. Waccoe limits likes and we could limit to say 4 per day here. (I don't think we'll get the oft seen waccoe post of "out of likes" here)

I don't think we're juvenile enough here to wear likes as a badge and facebook likes are a completely different thing, there it's used for ego stroking.

I'll always post when I disagree, I'll post when I agree and want to add something. I'm happy to post my in match ramblings posted under high emotion (well for me, I'm a bit Dataesque (If you liked Banksesque you're gonna love Dataesque unless you're not a Trekker then that newly minted word word was a waste)) whenever I'm online listening/watching the game

Lets take the post offered by your good self which caused you a little annoyance at the time. I saw it, I read it, I enjoyed it and then I either didn't think response necessary or I was only briefly online here. A like for that post would have told you it was read and it was enjoyed but I was short of time or felt no compulsion to reply.

A last thought though, no one likes/wants the like button for this forum, then why do we have the worlds most patronising set of emoticons here ?
Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Norm »

I've voiced an opinion based on a flawed dataset - in this case not knowing any other than the Facebook model, and my incorrect assumption that any 'like' system would be similar. Your amplification may cause others to be more inquisitive about such a system.
One caveat would be that, although you have outlined your strategy for day-to-day operation of the waccoe system, is it still capable of being used as I said originally (even if limited to 4 per day) and, lastly, in your experience, is it used that way? I would imagine that would be hard to answer given the size of waccoe and its number of members.

Maybe this should have its own thread and let this poor beleaguered one resume its original purpose - what do you think Leon/Adam? No pressure, just interest. Even if nothing changes, it's never too late to learn.
gessa

Post by gessa »

Like [pun intended] Faaip, I think it would be a good idea, quite often I read a post and agree with it but don't necessarily have anything to add and I don't often want to just post agree, a like would as Faaip says show you agree or simply like a post.
Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Norm »

So it's possibly worth a forum-wide discussion, if Adam says -
a) It's feasible and
b) He's willing to incorporate the necessary code (assuming it comes with this package).
??
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Norm wrote:So it's possibly worth a forum-wide discussion, if Adam says -
a) It's feasible and
b) He's willing to incorporate the necessary code (assuming it comes with this package).
??
The decision rests with the main man
Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Norm »

1964white wrote:

The decision rests with the main man
Understood