Leeds v QPR - Team/News/Reports/Ratings

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Leeds v QPR - Team/News/Reports/Ratings

Post by 1964white »

Another tough encounter v the hoops at ER on Saturday

Rangers have won four of their last five matches scoring twelve goals in the process. I've been quite impressed with them when seeing them on the telly a couple of times, they look a good footballing side

What side will Monk select is anyone's guess although amazingly he said he was very happy with the performance at Craven Cottage :shock: our defence worked their socks off under immense pressure whilst the rest ran around like headless chickens. 7,000 Leeds fans were not happy with what they witnessed, the majority thought we got lucky !

Hopefully Wood is fit to play & Ayling is available from fatherhood duties

I would go with......won't happen though

Green

Berardi Bartley Jansson Taylor

O'Kane, Vieira

Ayling Hernadez Pedraza

Wood

Subs : Silvestri Cooper Bridcutt Sacko Dallas Doukara Roofe
Oscar
First Team
First Team

Post by Oscar »

The difficult one is choosing 2 out of: Ayling, Berardi and Taylor, we could play all 3 if we adjusted the formation a little bit but I wouldn't do that yet.
4-2-3-1:
Green

Berardi
Bartley
Pontus
Taylor

Bridcutt
O'Kane

Roofe
Hernandez
Pedraza

Wood

Subs:
Silvestri, Ayling, Viera, Dallas, Sacko, Barrow, Doukara

Went for Berardi and Taylor for 4 reasons:
a. The Fulham game
b. To avoid Ayling getting suspended
c. I want us to use this game to test out Taylor and Pedraza on the left in time for the key games vs Brighton and Reading
d. I think Berardi and Taylor are marginally better defensively than Ayling.
Obviously I have absolutely no problem with Ayling playing instead though.

Would give O'Kane another game alongside Bridcutt, as I think they can both compliment eachother really well it wasn't great against Birmingham but it was a key factor in winning us the game vs Wednesday. O'Kane and Bridcutt have started 5 games together and we have won all 5 :-D . In the 429 minutes Bridcutt and O'Kane have played together we have only conceded 1 goal :shock:
Gurj
Manager
Manager

Post by Gurj »

Another huge game.......with Fulham at Newcastle ( not to say they cany win there tho ) we could hopefully extend the gap between us and 7th spot.

I would go with this team, leaving out Ayling due to the suspension threat but also because I believe Berardi is the better defender.

Green

Berardi
Pontus
Bartley
Taylor

Bridcutt
Vieira

Dallas
Pablo
Pedraza

Wood
LEEDS AND FOREVER PROUD TO BE !!
lufc1304
Superstar
Superstar
Twitter: @DrGonzo2411

Post by lufc1304 »

Same back 5 as Tuesday night, but not sure who to partner Bridcutt with. I'd probably go with O'Kane with Vieira on the bench. whomever it is needs to get a grip of the midfield from the off, we've been powder puff there in the last two games. Dallas to start wide right, with Roofe to come on once we're in control of the game and hopefully at least 2 up!
"When the going gets weird, the weird get professional!" Hunter S Thompson
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Gary Shaw wrote:
Would give O'Kane another game alongside Bridcutt, as I think they can both compliment eachother really well it wasn't great against Birmingham but it was a key factor in winning us the game vs Wednesday. O'Kane and Bridcutt have started 5 games together and we have won all 5 :-D . In the 429 minutes Bridcutt and O'Kane have played together we have only conceded 1 goal :shock:
An excellent and overlooked point is the defensive work those 2 do and how they make it difficult for teams to come through the middle against us. Forcing teams to go wide when attacking us plays into our hands as our full backs are strong and even if crosses come in Pontus, Bartley ad Green are fairly good at dealing with them. With our two defensive midfielders it also makes the opposition try long shots and whilst Birmingham and Fulham both scored from long range the % of shots scoring from distance will always be a lot lower than from shots in the box. If we don't concede many then no matter how badly we seem to be playing style and possession wise we will always have a chance to win especially with the form Wood has been in.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

weasel wrote:An excellent and overlooked point is the defensive work those 2 do and how they make it difficult for teams to come through the middle against usForcing teams to go wide when attacking us plays into our hands as our full backs are strong and even if crosses come in Pontus, Bartley ad Green are fairly good at dealing with them. With our two defensive midfielders it also makes the opposition try long shots and whilst Birmingham and Fulham both scored from long range the % of shots scoring from distance will always be a lot lower than from shots in the box. If we don't concede many then no matter how badly we seem to be playing style and possession wise we will always have a chance to win especially with the form Wood has been in.
What defensive work :shock: Fulham & Birmingham ran rings round our defensive mids as if they weren't there, we hardly won a 50/50 let alone a tackle all night. Bridcutt & Phillips must have forgot we we were playing in blue as they kept passing the ball back to Fulham

Yes great defending from our defensive midfield pair :roll: they deserve no credit whatsoever contrary to what you & Gary Shaw think. I was there watching the fiasco's, just ask Gandi what he thought of our midfield v Fulham....Pedraza was the liveliest of the lot by a country mile !
paddy parrott
Manager
Manager

Post by paddy parrott »

Yeah I agree Weasel and with Gary also that the midfield do that job well and do compliment one another. But at home come tomorrow I feel that our offensive game needs to shine and get more like the Derby Co. game and go at the opposition. Though GM has the selection fairly sound and won't tinker that much I feel.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

paddy parrott wrote:Yeah I agree Weasel and with Gary also that the midfield do that job well and do compliment one another. But at home come tomorrow I feel that our offensive game needs to shine and get more like the Derby Co. game and go at the opposition. Though GM has the selection fairly sound and won't tinker that much I feel.
Sorry Paddy our midfield pair have been woeful !
paddy parrott
Manager
Manager

Post by paddy parrott »

Woefull ! I'm not sure but to me quite frustrating mostly . But '64 you see much more of it than me so I can't be certain. Though both men have lots of experience in this league and GM does seem to be happy with them.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

paddy parrott wrote:Woefull ! I'm not sure but to me quite frustrating mostly . But '64 you see much more of it than me so I can't be certain. Though both men have lots of experience in this league and GM does seem to be happy with them.
I'm hoping they find some of their old spark mate as having 39% & 27% possession at Birmingham & Fulham respectively is not good enough continually putting our defence under immense pressure which shouldn't be the case. Monk plays two defensive midfielders to protect his defenders not hinder them !
gessa

Post by gessa »

1964white wrote:Another tough encounter v the hoops at ER on Saturday

Rangers have won four of their last five matches scoring twelve goals in the process. I've been quite impressed with them when seeing them on the telly a couple of times, they look a good footballing side

What side will Monk select is anyone's guess although amazingly he said he was very happy with the performance at Craven Cottage :shock: our defence worked their socks off under immense pressure whilst the rest ran around like headless chickens. 7,000 Leeds fans were not happy with what they witnessed, the majority thought we got lucky !
I don't think he could be happy with that but he is a manager who takes pressure off his players by either coming out with that kind of statement or shouldering the blame for a defeat, possibly why he gets all the squad playing as a unit and fighting for one another.
Complete opposite to the last one and complete opposite player mentality because of it.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

gessa wrote:I don't think he could be happy with that but he is a manager who takes pressure off his players by either coming out with that kind of statement or shouldering the blame for a defeat, possibly why he gets all the squad playing as a unit and fighting for one another.
Complete opposite to the last one and complete opposite player mentality because of it.
Yes I see his logic & rightly so, as you imply Monk has to keep their morale up mate

Monk made 5 changes (2 enforced) v Fulham, will be interesting to see if he makes changes tomorrow. I'm usually against players been played out of position however i would be tempted playing Ayling in front of Berardi down the right flank, can't see it though as we have plenty of wingers albeit being totally ineffective of late
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

1964white wrote:I'm hoping they find some of their old spark mate as having 39% & 27% possession at Birmingham & Fulham respectively is not good enough continually putting our defence under immense pressure which shouldn't be the case. Monk plays two defensive midfielders to protect his defenders not hinder them !
The possession stats were irrelevant in the point I made as I praised their defensive work. Defensive work is not always about putting tackles or blocks in but about good positioning. If they take up good positions then the opposition will usually then decide not to play the ball into those areas which is the point I was making in saying that the opposition went wide or took mainly long range pot shots.

As a centreback I found that as the years progressed and my reading of the game improved I ended up doing much less actual tackling/heading/blocking etc as the opposition would be playing the ball to a player/area where there was more space.

Monk sets his teams up to make the opposition play in areas where their threat is limited. Yes they may end up with great possession stats but not actually carry much threat which means that even if we are playing poorly (I'm sure losing possession isn't part of the plan) we still have the chance to win by just creating 1 or 2 chances. Now if we actually started to pass to each other too....
Crude
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Crude »

Hernandez has to start. He is due a big game, as been fairly quiet lately.
RIP Twiggster, March 5, 2023

Chris & Kevin | Never Forgotten | April 5, 2000

Gary Andrew Speed, MBE — Always In Our Hearts, 1969-2011
60sUnited
First Team
First Team

Post by 60sUnited »

Some interesting and informed comments from all of you guys, but although we are in a great position, going forward one fact is certain....WE MUST HOLD ON TO THE BALL MUCH BETTER !! No matter how good our defence is, give a good team 75% of the ball and it doesn't bode well. We have done this for several games now and somehow got away with it but I hope tomorrow I see us taking the game to QPR from the start and imposing ourselves on them. Hernandez and Padraza to start.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

60sUnited wrote:Some interesting and informed comments from all of you guys, but although we are in a great position, going forward one fact is certain....WE MUST HOLD ON TO THE BALL MUCH BETTER !! No matter how good our defence is, give a good team 75% of the ball and it doesn't bode well. We have done this for several games now and somehow got away with it but I hope tomorrow I see us taking the game to QPR from the start and imposing ourselves on them. Hernandez and Padraza to start.
Hallelujah :clap2:
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Crude wrote:Hernandez has to start. He is due a big game, as been fairly quiet lately.

It's a reason why players should get game time, if you keep rotating them you'll probably miss the games they're destined to play well in.
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
1964white

Post by 1964white »

faaip wrote:It's a reason why players should get game time, if you keep rotating them you'll probably miss the games they're destined to play well in.
Indeed :tup: not only that Pablo is our most creative midfielder
gessa

Post by gessa »

Off now meet up with friends for a breakfast and then the drive up . Hope we get the win today as my lad as converted his mate to being a Leeds fan from Villa, he's coming too so a win will cement that. ( his dad hates it)
paddy parrott
Manager
Manager

Post by paddy parrott »

Hopefully the lad will stick with us for the long haul . A win today we hope could strengtening his desire and become a Leeds lad. MOT.