Sam Byram

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
hector

Sam Byram

Post by hector »

Looks like Sammy boy is about to be released from the hammers.......

Should we take him back?

If we did would it be for left back to replace Charlie Taylor?

or right back?
60sUnited
First Team
First Team

Re: Sam Byram

Post by 60sUnited »

Sorry but I don't think he is any better than the lads we have so for that reason I wouldn't take him back.
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Post by HarryofOz »

Not sure about getting him back but it seems that some players are destined to perform at their best at a particular club. I'm sure it applies to players at other clubs who have joined us and other transferred players, but just looking at it from our point of view.

Lee Bowyer never achieved the same heights after leaving us, nor did Alan Smith. Same with Luciano Becchio and Jermaine Beckford. And now it seems that Sam Byram is the same - though he is young and has plenty of time to succeed elsewhere.

I'm sure that there are others, but those are the ones that I can think of off the top of my head.
Un Marcelo Bielsa, solo hay un Marcelo Bielsa. Gracias Marcello. Marsching on together.
gessa

Post by gessa »

hector wrote:Looks like Sammy boy is about to be released from the hammers.......

Should we take him back?

If we did would it be for left back to replace Charlie Taylor?

or right back?
They say you should never go back, the problem now is , he's no left back and on his showing in his last year for us he isn't as good as Berardi or Ayling, I think he's more suited to Monks system as a right midfielder I'm not sure he'd come back, a bit embarrassing for him I'd think. I would take him back personally as a right midfielder and he would be defensive cover too, he would have to take a massive pay cut though. Having said that I couldn't see his agent and Cellino sitting around a table having a civilised discussion.
Take him back ...Yes.
Will he come.....No
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Definitely NO !

He couldn't wait to leave ER as he thought he was better than he is dreaming he was ready for the prem. The majority of fans realised he wasn't the same player we witnessed from his debut season at Leeds.
Why would we want him back when we already have two better RB's in Berardi & Ayling with the promising young Lewie Coyle coming through too ?
Sam could always join his mate Lewis at Bournemouth, hopefully our current players are progressing upwards whilst the likes of Sam & Cook are heading back to the championship :lol:
paddy parrott
Manager
Manager

Post by paddy parrott »

No for me nor do I think he is needed. Would he come back? I don't think so .. however should we express an interest ! We'd hopefully be in the premier league then but that is still some way off. What these big premier league clubs are all about nowadays is really squandering jeeps of cash around at the likes of Sam Bryan, Luke Shaw and many others is to nobody benefit and all they are buying is potentail . Most of these aren't or woun't get a look in either not good enough or more's the point they only a bit players and usually end up making the reserve teams there at more competive.
gessa

Post by gessa »

HarryofOz wrote:Not sure about getting him back but it seems that some players are destined to perform at their best at a particular club. I'm sure it applies to players at other clubs who have joined us and other transferred players, but just looking at it from our point of view.

Lee Bowyer never achieved the same heights after leaving us, nor did Alan Smith. Same with Luciano Becchio and Jermaine Beckford. And now it seems that Sam Byram is the same - though he is young and has plenty of time to succeed elsewhere.

I'm sure that there are others, but those are the ones that I can think of off the top of my head.
When you look at the O'Leary squad I would say only Ferdinand and Keane carried on at the same level as with us, Woodgate possibly but too many injuries.
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Post by HarryofOz »

gessa wrote:When you look at the O'Leary squad I would say only Ferdinand and Keane carried on at the same level as with us, Woodgate possibly but too many injuries.
Fair point. Probably one of those cases where the sum of the parts was greater than the individual parts added separately.
Un Marcelo Bielsa, solo hay un Marcelo Bielsa. Gracias Marcello. Marsching on together.
gessa

Post by gessa »

1964white wrote:Definitely NO !

He couldn't wait to leave ER as he thought he was better than he is dreaming he was ready for the prem. The majority of fans realised he wasn't the same player we witnessed from his debut season at Leeds.
Why would we want him back when we already have two better RB's in Berardi & Ayling with the promising young Lewie Coyle coming through too ?
Sam could always join his mate Lewis at Bournemouth, hopefully our current players are progressing upwards whilst the likes of Sam & Cook are heading back to the championship :lol:
I don't think you can blame any player leaving a team to quadruple their wages and play at an higher level, the only way they will find out if they are good enough is to have a go. Otherwise we'd not have Ayling for instance. Us oldies that saw players stay at clubs for 10 plus years, sometimes forget the game as changed, when my nephew went to Burton he was schooled that you don't play for teams you like or support you play for teams that look after you financially , players nowadays have a totally different mentality to ones years ago. We have to accept there is very little loyalty from either player or clubs, only the fans have that. Don't forget clubs cash in on their players as much as players go for the money. Remember Bates.
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Post by HarryofOz »

gessa wrote:I don't think you can blame any player leaving a team to quadruple their wages and play at an higher level, the only way they will find out if they are good enough is to have a go. Otherwise we'd not have Ayling for instance. Us oldies that saw players stay at clubs for 10 plus years, sometimes forget the game as changed, when my nephew went to Burton he was schooled that you don't play for teams you like or support you play for teams that look after you financially , players nowadays have a totally different mentality to ones years ago. We have to accept there is very little loyalty from either player or clubs, only the fans have that. Don't forget clubs cash in on their players as much as players go for the money. Remember Bates.
Fans my be loyal towards their clubs, but they are not loyal towards individual players. If we go up this season I guarantee you that the fan forums will be awash with discussions about which players we should dump because they are not good enough for the Premier League.

As you say, the game has changed and players can move far more easily than they could even ten years ago. There is also a lot more money around to entice players to other clubs and a huge difference between earnings in the top league and even the second tier leagues. Also clubs are have much bigger squads nowadays and players are prepared to be squad players at a top club rather than first team starters elsewhere.

And for Leeds in particular - it was very easy for the players during the Revie years to stay at Leeds, after all we were very successful.