What do we need for promotion?

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Re: What do we need for promotion?

Post by The Subhuman »

lufc1304 wrote:As I said in my response to Leon, it might be unfair to judge Dave on one game, but I can't recall hearing his name mentioned (though I did miss first half). What is patently clear to me is that Grimes is not cut out for this league and Dave will need someone decent (Bridcutt?) beside him. Concur with everything else you say, three changes to the starting line-up and keep Roofe on. Needs game time to settle at the higher level.

I rewatched the game yesterday and what is apparent is commentators probably only mention 1 touch in 4 ....so as teams play the ball around in defence the commentary focus' on everything bar player name, they virtually never mention a tacklers name unless bad or spectacular. So not hearing his name means little and maybe they ignore naming him as Diagouraga hardly trips off the tongue

As I say nothing much came through the middle...(Goals from corners, a penalty from a move down the right and a speculative cross field FK catching Coyle asleep cost us the 3 goals) Last season it was through the middle that was the problem a lot of the time.

Grimes may need time, I see him as a left sided midfielder and I think he'll give us options later in the season, he doesn't appear to be a number 10.
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
mav
First Team
First Team

Post by mav »

We need more guys in midfield that can help control a game, Viera and Grimes did little to stop QPR, Toumy was a yard short all the time.
Every game I predict a 3 - 1 Leeds win, I am traditional like that.
lufc1304
Superstar
Superstar
Twitter: @DrGonzo2411

Post by lufc1304 »

weasel wrote:Hhm unfair to judge Dave on one game yet you then judge Grimes on one game.....

Grimes was poor but it can be argued that we never really got the ball to him especially in the first half. I am not willing to write any players off yet as players can look amazing if the team is playing well and awful if the team is playing awful.
What I should have said is unfair to judge Dave on one game as the main DM, if that makes sense. Saw enough of him last year alongside Bridcutt to think he could play that role, but Sunday planted some doubt. As for Grimes, yes, first to admit it's a harsh judgement, but he looked completely out of his depth. I'll be happy to be proven wrong, but looked no more than a bench player to me.
"When the going gets weird, the weird get professional!" Hunter S Thompson
lufc1304
Superstar
Superstar
Twitter: @DrGonzo2411

Post by lufc1304 »

faaip wrote:I rewatched the game yesterday and what is apparent is commentators probably only mention 1 touch in 4 ....so as teams play the ball around in defence the commentary focus' on everything bar player name, they virtually never mention a tacklers name unless bad or spectacular. So not hearing his name means little and maybe they ignore naming him as Diagouraga hardly trips off the tongue

As I say nothing much came through the middle...(Goals from corners, a penalty from a move down the right and a speculative cross field FK catching Coyle asleep cost us the 3 goals) Last season it was through the middle that was the problem a lot of the time.

Grimes may need time, I see him as a left sided midfielder and I think he'll give us options later in the season, he doesn't appear to be a number 10.
I've actually been thinking about what I said and perhaps not hearing his name repeatedly is a positive rather than a negative thing. And you're right regarding the 'route' of the goals, so maybe he did good work I didn't notice? Judgement deferred until further evidence is presented! As for Grimes, may be one for the future, but I thought he was wholly ineffective as a number 10 too. Monk got that one wrong, it would seem, Mowatt is much more a natural in that role.
"When the going gets weird, the weird get professional!" Hunter S Thompson
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

what we actually need for promotion is a level playing field in terms of money for the squad...about 30M should see us compete
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
dezzy
Manager
Manager

Post by dezzy »

Things seem a little more positive now in terms of how we are going, still a tough ask and long way to go but Mabey a bit more squad depth a and top 6 looks good?
Well done Garry Monk. Fantastic effort
I realised I was dyslexic when I went to a toga party dressed as a goat..
dezzy
Manager
Manager

Post by dezzy »

1964white wrote:After yesterday's shambles you are exactly right Dan, never had us down for a play-off before the QPR fiasco

I keep saying the spine isn't right

We need a proper keeper, one who doesn't flap like a bird
A commanding CB to play along side of Bartley
A defensive midfielder, Bridcutt would be ideal
And a Jermaine Beckford type striker who sits on the shoulder of a defender & frightens the living daylights out of them as oppose to the immobility of the pedestrian Wood
How right you were 64, Pontus coming in and birdcutt, alone with wood and green coming good eventually we had a bit of excitement
I realised I was dyslexic when I went to a toga party dressed as a goat..
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

dezzy wrote:How right you were 64, Pontus coming in and birdcutt, alone with wood and green coming good eventually we had a bit of excitement
We never got the type of striker to complement Wood unfortunately

Pontus made the difference, it wasn't long after his arrival everything started to click into place & we became a difficult team to beat
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

about 25 points from our last 9 games