UK Singles Charts Are So Strange Thesedays

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

UK Singles Charts Are So Strange Thesedays

Post by 1964white »

All calculated on downloads & streaming plays

Ed Sheeran has 16 songs in the Top 20 :roll:
Screenshot 2017-03-16 at 11.52.27.png
gessa

Re: UK Singles Charts Are So Strange Thesedays

Post by gessa »

I honestly can't remember the last time I looked at the charts, real no clue who most of the artists are, Ed Sheeran, Little Mix, Taylor Swift, Katy Perry, my little girl likes and a couple more I can't remember. She does like non chart music too.
lufc1304
Superstar
Superstar
Twitter: @DrGonzo2411

Post by lufc1304 »

Gone are the days when you spent Sunday afternoon poised to hit the record button on your tape recorder during the Top 40 run-down. And hoping you timed it right so you didn't get the DJ talking!! Charts these days are full of homogeneous sh*te punted out by record companies looking to make a quick buck. Mainstream music has become a commodity to be consumed then thrown away
"When the going gets weird, the weird get professional!" Hunter S Thompson
mav
First Team
First Team

Post by mav »

lufc1304 wrote:Charts these days are full of homogeneous sh*te punted out by record companies looking to make a quick buck.
which, I guess is what old people have been saying since there were charts.

I have two daughters and this listen to most of it (pop music) while it is not for me, Ed Sheran is a decent song writer and many of the others can actually sing.
Every game I predict a 3 - 1 Leeds win, I am traditional like that.
Ratscoot
Manager
Manager

Post by Ratscoot »

Nope just checked none of these are on Talk Sports playlist so not heard of any of them, I stopped listening to Radio One when Chris Moyles joined them
A bumble bee under the laws of physics shouldnt be able to fly, but it does because no one has told it that it can't
lufc1304
Superstar
Superstar
Twitter: @DrGonzo2411

Post by lufc1304 »

mav wrote:which, I guess is what old people have been saying since there were charts.

I have two daughters and this listen to most of it (pop music) while it is not for me, Ed Sheran is a decent song writer and many of the others can actually sing.
How dare you!!!! :shock: :lol:

My daughter listens it too, but I'm not convinced their 'talent' isn't manufactured, in the main, in the studio. If you seen them actually sing live, then fair enough, but I maintain that most of these acts are wholly disposable. We won't be talking about Taylor Swift in 10 years time, never mind 50
"When the going gets weird, the weird get professional!" Hunter S Thompson
gessa

Post by gessa »

lufc1304 wrote:
We won't be talking about Taylor Swift in 10 years time.

I might look at some of the old photo's though. :-D
hector

Post by hector »

You'll go blind you know..... :P :wink:
1964white

Post by 1964white »

As a kid in the formative years of my love for music I watched Top Of The Pops from the early 60's right through to the 80's. Also listened to Pick Of The Pops & the music chart programmes on Radio Caroline/Luxembourg
I use to buy the New Musical Express or the Melody Maker which listed not only the UK charts but also the American singles/albums ones too. Always found the charts a fascinating read especially as the USA market was significantly different in comparison to the British hit parade.
Sadly my knowledge of the singles chart is extremely limited particularly with artists/songs over the last twenty years
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Not really a legitimate chart is it? Hasn't been for years.
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
1964white

Post by 1964white »

faaip wrote:Not really a legitimate chart is it? Hasn't been for years.
All a bit farcical nowadays mate
Gurj
Manager
Manager

Post by Gurj »

Recall the days of listening to the chart run down on radio 1 every sunday , between 5 and 7pm and you were so excited to see what had got to No1. It was such a big thing in those days ( 80s). Just not the same now sadly.
LEEDS AND FOREVER PROUD TO BE !!
1964white

Post by 1964white »

This geek continues to dominate the charts

Yawn, yawn, yawn.....the music scene is shot to bits
Screenshot 2017-03-19 at 17.54.07.png
Ed Sheeran's domination of the UK music scene continues as he reigns supreme throughout the album and singles charts.

The singer-songwriter's hit track Shape Of You marks 10 weeks at the top of the Official Singles Charts while his third album, ÷, which became the fastest-selling album by a male artist in the UK ever last week, remains at the summit of the Official Albums Chart.

Shape Of You is now joint fourth in the ranking for the most consecutive weeks at number one, level with Whitney Houston and Rihanna with respective tracks I Will Always Love You and Umbrella, and David Whitfield's 1954 song Cara Mia.

The single went straight to the summit of the Official Singles Charts following its release back in January, and is now six weeks behind Bryan Adams's (Everything I Do) I Do It For You, which holds the record for the longest consecutive period at number one.

Between the Suffolk singer and Adams is Drake's One Dance, which reached 15 weeks at the top of the charts last year, Wet Wet Wet's Love Is All Around from 1994, also at 15 weeks, and Slim Whitman's 1955 track Rose Marie at 11 weeks.

For the second week running, Sheeran has all of his tracks from ÷ (divide) inside the top 40 and nine inside the top 10.

The only top 10 track which is not Sheeran's is The Chainsmokers and Coldplay's collaboration, Something Just Like This, which rebounds three places to four.

Elsewhere in the singles charts, pop group Steps's comeback single Scared Of The Dark marks the group's first top 40 appearance in 16 years at number 37.

Behind Sheeran in the album charts remains Rag'N'Bone Man's Human, in third is Sheeran's second album x (multiply), while Stormzy's Gang Signs & Prayer drops one place to fourth.

The only new entry in the top five is folk singer Laura Marling's Semper Femina, marking her fifth top 10 collection.