Leeds v Brighton - Team/News/Reports/Ratings

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Leeds v Brighton - Team/News/Reports/Ratings

Post by 1964white »

Another big game played at a silly time, at least we'll know what is expected with all the results in, no pressure lads. I have a feeling that our fluent style of play will return v the Seagulls as we look to peak again just at the right time !

Starting XI

Green

Berardi Bartley Jansson Taylor

Bridcutt Vieira

Doukara Hernandez Pedraza

Wood
paddy parrott
Manager
Manager

Re: Leeds v Brighton - Team/News/Reports/Ratings

Post by paddy parrott »

Nice balance to the line up mate one to expect possibly . We know that a tough game is ahead but tougher ones to follow so an improved and keep the ball longer for our midfield and offensive players we hope.
Gurj
Manager
Manager

Post by Gurj »

One's thing for sure, if we dont improve and improve immensely, Brighton will hammer us. They are as good an attacking side as I have seen in the Championship for quite some time. In Knockaert, Murray, Baldock and Hamed they have real quality so we will have to play out of our skins to get a win.

I've seen quite a few fans ( on various social media ) say now that when we play at Elland Road we dont create enough due to having 2 defensive midfielders ( whichever players form that combination ) who just sit trying to protect the back 4. Maybe its time to change this ? That way we can give Wood some real support rather than him being so isolated as he has been of late.
LEEDS AND FOREVER PROUD TO BE !!
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Gurj wrote:I've seen quite a few fans ( on various social media ) say now that when we play at Elland Road we dont create enough due to having 2 defensive midfielders ( whichever players form that combination ) who just sit trying to protect the back 4. Maybe its time to change this ? That way we can give Wood some real support rather than him being so isolated as he has been of late.
I don't get why all these fans want to change from a formula that has seen us win 8, draw 1 and only lose 1 of our last 10 home games.

The 2 teams not to lose, QPR and Cardiff, set out to counter attack us and as such it was fairly much stalemates with the first goal going to be all important. Hopefully the likes of Brighton and others will come to ER and take the game to us a bit more.
rab_rant

Post by rab_rant »

Brighton who have fought bravely but they will lose so badly, they just don’t know what to do. believe me, it's true
An ‘extremely credible source’ has called my office and told me that Brighton's race has been run. Loosers
Their football is so unattractive, not beautiful on or off the pitch... bad away record.. tremendously bad.
Brighton is one of the most over-rated teams in the league, We will build a great wall – and nobody builds
walls better than Leeds, believe me – Mark my words Okay.

When Brighton sends their players north, they’re not sending their best, they’re sending players that have lots of problems... big
problems... believe me... living on the south coast makes them all hoity toity nambi pambi lilly livered nonces that can't stand being
punched in the dick. I've seen it... believe me.

If I were running Brighton, I’d fire the manager. I mean, I’d look at him right in that scrawny, face of his, I’d say ‘Chris, you’re fired.’”
All of the managers in this league have flirted with me – consciously or unconsciously. That’s to be expected... they want me to invest
in their clubs... I have a tremendous record with investments... believe me Okay. One of they key problems today is that football is such a disgrace. Good people don’t go into management... if Massimo would take my advice he would replace Monk with Blackwell, or Hockaday. The beauty of me is that I’m very rich... and I do the right things... Okay?

The weather this weekend will be crucial... if it’s freezing and snowing in Leeds those southern pansies won't like it as I have said – we need global warming if football has to be played on a level playing field. I predict 10-0 for Leeds... believe me Okay.
Crude
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Crude »

rab_rant wrote:Brighton who have fought bravely but they will lose so badly, they just don’t know what to do. believe me, it's true
An ‘extremely credible source’ has called my office and told me that Brighton's race has been run. Loosers
Their football is so unattractive, not beautiful on or off the pitch... bad away record.. tremendously bad.
Brighton is one of the most over-rated teams in the league, We will build a great wall – and nobody builds

When Brighton sends their players north, they’re not sending their best, they’re sending players that have lots of problems... big
problems... believe me... living on the south coast makes them all hoity toity nambi pambi lilly livered nonces that can't stand being

If I were running Brighton, I’d fire the manager. I mean, I’d look at him right in that scrawny, face of his, I’d say ‘Chris, you’re fired.’”
All of the managers in this league have flirted with me – consciously or unconsciously. That’s to be expected... they want me to invest
in their clubs... I have a tremendous record with investments... believe me Okay. One of they key problems today is that football is such a disgrace. Good people don’t go into management... if Massimo would take my advice he would replace Monk with Blackwell, or Hockaday. The beauty of me is that I’m very rich... and I do the right things... Okay?

The weather this weekend will be crucial... if it’s freezing and snowing in Leeds those southern pansies won't like it as I have said – we need global warming if football has to be played on a level playing field. I predict 10-0 for Leeds... believe me Okay.
Making Leeds Great Again, unless we get wiretapped by Obama.
RIP Twiggster, March 5, 2023

Chris & Kevin | Never Forgotten | April 5, 2000

Gary Andrew Speed, MBE — Always In Our Hearts, 1969-2011
John in Louisiana
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by John in Louisiana »

Crude wrote:Making Leeds Great Again, unless we get wiretapped by Obama.
And for God's sake, whatever you do, don't use the microwave in the locker room.
Oscar
First Team
First Team

Post by Oscar »

Gurj wrote:One's thing for sure, if we dont improve and improve immensely, Brighton will hammer us. They are as good an attacking side as I have seen in the Championship for quite some time. In Knockaert, Murray, Baldock and Hamed they have real quality so we will have to play out of our skins to get a win.

I've seen quite a few fans ( on various social media ) say now that when we play at Elland Road we dont create enough due to having 2 defensive midfielders ( whichever players form that combination ) who just sit trying to protect the back 4. Maybe its time to change this ? That way we can give Wood some real support rather than him being so isolated as he has been of late.
Brighton look excellent going forward :( Knockaert, Murray and Hemed are all very impressive players at this level none of them are anywhere near as good as Chris Wood though in my opinion we still have the best player on the pitch out of the two teams. Kayal and Stephens are an excellent midfield 2 as well they work a lot like Kante and Matic do for Chelsea and the defence is very impressive as well. I think they are going to be going for the win especially if Huddersfield win tomorrow.
I would keep the 4-2-3-1 mate it has worked brilliantly for us this season and all 4 of our defensive midfielders have been crucial to us at different times and games this season. The attacking 3 has to start taking more responsibility, against QPR they all saw plenty of the ball, however, none of the 3 did anything with the ball I definitely think Pablo needs to start making more Frank Lampard esque late runs into the box to try and get more goals. Bridcutt, Viera and O'Kane (when he came on) all did well on Saturday and used the ball well and got the ball to the attacking 3 quickly, efficiently and in the right areas, however, none of the attacking 3 were brave enough on the ball and kept trying to play sideways passes. I think Pablo has to be the number 10 of the team and have the freedom to express himself on the pitch in order to get the very best of him, in a 4-1-4-1 or 4-3-3 I think we would require Pablo to be more disciplined on and off the ball and I just don't think that suits his game.
The other problem I can see with a 4-1-4-1 and 4-3-3 is that this is the type of game were I can't see us having more than 60% of the ball, therefore, there is a high chance that we would spend a lot of the game being overrun in the midfield especially if you tried to move Roofe and Hernandez in the centre as neither are great off the ball, Brighton are a very dangerous team on the counter attack as well in Knockaert, Stephens, Skalak and Baldock they have a lot of pace to cause us problems so I would like the idea of having 2 holding players trying to stop the counter attacks.
Bridcutt vs Kayal is one of the key battles imo, I would keep the 4-2-3-1, however, would move the 3 attackers 5-10 yards higher up the pitch than they were on Saturday and maybe bring in one of Dallas or Doukara so that one of the attacking 3 can help out defensively as well.
If we win are next few games and get into the play offs with a lot of games to spare, it might be a good idea to test out a 3-4-3, 4-3-3 or 4-1-4-1 in one or two of those last few games of the season :tup:
jindy30
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by jindy30 »

I can see why counter attacking football would work against us. At home, with the fans singing, the occasion, the push to win. Our midfield has to win midfield dominance, not just through skill and tackling but hard work.. I always felt that the Liverpool Quarter final taught the team what hard work can achieve. A higher intensity. This is 6 points.

Against Brighton we don't need to change a thing. We go for the win, same team as last week.

I know they have been in the top 5 all season but I thought they were pretty s**t against us at their place, although we lost. I remember, I was in a North London Boozer watching it, ironically there were three other Leeds fans in there. I flew from the states to see my folks. Anyway it was a horrible game, two penalties, and i thought we were the better team.

Do we need a good performance? Yes we want to see the players improve and see a style of football develop. Do we want three points? yes but we would probably take a draw.

Another 0-0. Same Players as last game. Pablo, Roofe, and Pedrazza in midfield but they have to work hard, win balls, be quick and turn it on.
jindy30
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by jindy30 »

rab_rant wrote:Brighton who have fought bravely but they will lose so badly, they just don’t know what to do. believe me, it's true

:tup: :roflmao:
billie1
First Team
First Team

Post by billie1 »

Cooper starts and Jansson on the bench . Err that's unexpected . The threat of another yellow card and subsequent ban . A big decision
Last edited by billie1 on Sat Mar 18, 2017 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

billie1 wrote:Cooper starts and Jansson on the bench . Err that's unexpected . The threat of another yellow card and subsequent ban . A big decision
:shock: If that's the reason then I don't agree with it. This is a game where all our best players available should play. If Jansson gets a yellow, then the next game is when you deal with it, not leave him out 'just in case'.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

I doubt that's the reason, either niggling injury or feeling off colour maybe. Possibly disciplinary.
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Cagey start from both teams

Leeds break ends with a Wood mis control, but nice pass from Sacko to spring Hernandez
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

22 minutes Bartley heads wide difficult chance
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

25 minutes Hernandez beats marker and bought down on edge of box, nothing from FK
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Hernandez delivers great cross headed behind by a defended, Wood misses a good chance from the corner

Goal chances

Leeds 4 Brighton 2
Last edited by The Subhuman on Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Green great save after Cooper deflection, then Beradi goal saving header away, Possible pen for Wood at the other end turned down
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Yellow - Rosenior, studs up on Sacko