Newcastle v Leeds - Team/News/Reports/Ratings

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Newcastle v Leeds - Team/News/Reports/Ratings

Post by 1964white »

Is this the game everyone has been waiting for ?

The last time I visited St James Park was in a pre-season friendly. 5,000 Leeds fans witnessed Fabian Delph running rings around Nicky Butt, Joey Barton & Alan Smith as we gained a 0-0 draw.

Toon duo Dwight Gayle and Ciaran Clark will miss the tie if the YEP are to be believed.
They claim claim striker Gayle is ruled out of the televised St James’ Park fixture with a hamstring injury that could end his season. Clark will also be absent with the injury that has kept him out of Newcastle’s last four matches

Cooper serves his 3rd of 5 match ban whilst Sacko is also ruled out with an ankle injury.

Will Monk stick with a winning team or consider going more defensive using the likes of Bridcutt, O'Kane, Doukara or Dallas in our midfield ?
rich_leeds64
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @richleeds64

Re: Newcastle v Leeds - Team/News/Reports/Ratings

Post by rich_leeds64 »

I went to that friendly too but more recently attended the cup game where 6,000 sang their hearts out despite the defeat.

Newcastle can be a bit dodgy at home and have lost to some average sides. Teams who go there and attack tend to come away with something, if it's not going their way then the home crowd soon turn on them. Monk should know this and pick a forward thinking side as he did on Saturday, I'd start with the same eleven with defensive options should we start to get overrun.
paddy parrott
Manager
Manager

Post by paddy parrott »

I suppose this is the game we've been mostly looking to. Recently anyway the one with and for me real feel about it though hopefully we keep our heads and put it up to them. I'm wanting to play Newcastle again quite soon this calendar year and don't mean no friendly or cup tie either. Come on Leeds MOT.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

rich_leeds64 wrote:I went to that friendly too but more recently attended the cup game where 6,000 sang their hearts out despite the defeat.

Newcastle can be a bit dodgy at home and have lost to some average sides. Teams who go there and attack tend to come away with something, if it's not going their way then the home crowd soon turn on them. Monk should know this and pick a forward thinking side as he did on Saturday, I'd start with the same eleven with defensive options should we start to get overrun.
I believe we lost the Reading/Brentford games & were poor at Fulham because of our negative tactics. We always look a better footballing side when we take the game to the opposition as oppose to sitting back putting immense pressure on our defence. We need to be more direct & positive in games, players are not comfortable chasing shadows for 90 minutes.
John in Louisiana
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by John in Louisiana »

1964white wrote:I believe we lost the Reading/Brentford games & were poor at Fulham because of our negative tactics. We always look a better footballing side when we take the game to the opposition as oppose to sitting back putting immense pressure on our defence. We need to be more direct & positive in games, players are not comfortable chasing shadows for 90 minutes.
I agree. In any event sitting in a defensive shell and looking to counter attack is a losing proposition against this team and in this place.

They're probably feeling more pressure than we are, what with the expectations of their fans and having fallen into second place. Let's press early; the first goal in this game is going to be crucial.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

John in Louisiana wrote:I agree. In any event sitting in a defensive shell and looking to counter attack is a losing proposition against this team and in this place.

They're probably feeling more pressure than we are, what with the expectations of their fans and having fallen into second place. Let's press early; the first goal in this game is going to be crucial.
I always think the first goal in a game can be crucial John

What's the point in sitting back & wasting 60 minutes of a game or in our case wasting the whole 90 minutes in a few games. Drive on & be positive i say !
Oscar
First Team
First Team

Post by Oscar »

I think Garry will set us up like he normally does against the leagues top top teams.
Meaning we might see two changes O'Kane (if Bridcutt isn't fit to play) and Doukara.
I would guess: Green, Ayling, Bartley, Pontus, Berardi, Phillips, O'Kane/Viera, Roofe, Hernandez, Doukara/Pedraza, Wood.
I am not sure he will play Ronaldo in a game like this and perhaps he will prefer to play O'Kane and Phillips, as O'Kane has excelled in the games were we have really needed to battle and keep it tight to win the points.
Not sure if it will be Doukara or Pedraza on the left, maybe Garry might even decide to rest Pablo for the Wolves game 3 days later?
I think we will be playing on the counter attack and trying to gegenpress them on the ball with the aim of trying stop Ritchie and Shelvey.
It's all about balance in a game like this and we cannot afford to give Ritchie and Shelvey space.
Gurj
Manager
Manager

Post by Gurj »

Travelling to St James Park for the first time for this match, really cant wait. Setting off nice and early with my friends given the expected 3 and 1/2 hour car journey from Birmingham and got a travelodge booked for the night so that we dont have to rush back after the game

Normally I would advocate an unchanged line up but given what transpired when Shelvey and Colback really outclassed our two kids in central midfield at ER, I think Bridcutt will be needed. Is there and argument to play Vieira, Phillips and the skipper possibly ?

One thing is for sure - Roofe has to start after an impressive performance on Saturday.
LEEDS AND FOREVER PROUD TO BE !!
lufc1304
Superstar
Superstar
Twitter: @DrGonzo2411

Post by lufc1304 »

The midfield is key in this game; get into Colbeck and, especially, Shelvey early, and they lose their composure. For that reason, I think Bridcutt has to start. Who Monk plays alongside him is a tricky one, maybe Phillips for his energy? I don't want to see us sit back, but neither should we go gung-ho. Keep our shape and discipline and go at them every chance we get. If we simply invite Newcastle on, we could find ourselves on the wrong end of a thrashing
"When the going gets weird, the weird get professional!" Hunter S Thompson
1964white

Post by 1964white »

lufc1304 wrote:The midfield is key in this game; get into Colbeck and, especially, Shelvey early, and they lose their composure. For that reason, I think Bridcutt has to start. Who Monk plays alongside him is a tricky one, maybe Phillips for his energy? I don't want to see us sit back but neither should we go gung-ho. Keep our shape and discipline and go at them every chance we get. If we simply invite Newcastle on, we could find ourselves on the wrong end of a thrashing
We need to be more positive on our travels :tup:

Sitting back at Reading, Brentford did us no favours & we got a fluky point at Craven Cottage with our negative tactics, no good leaving Wood isolated & hoping for one break !
lufc1304
Superstar
Superstar
Twitter: @DrGonzo2411

Post by lufc1304 »

1964white wrote:We need to be more positive on our travels :tup:

Sitting back at Reading, Brentford did us no favours & we got a fluky point at Craven Cottage with our negative tactics, no good leaving Wood isolated & hoping for one break !
It's a balancing act, Leon; we don't want to leave ourselves exposed by pouring forward, but we should be playing higher up the park away from home, give the opposition something to think about defensively
"When the going gets weird, the weird get professional!" Hunter S Thompson
Crude
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Crude »

lufc1304 wrote:It's a balancing act, Leon; we don't want to leave ourselves exposed by pouring forward, but we should be playing higher up the park away from home, give the opposition something to think about defensively
Definitely! Part of me wants Monk to really throw all caution to the wind, but the more sensible thing would be to make sure our GD does go tits up, ala Reading. Should be a great atmosphere.
RIP Twiggster, March 5, 2023

Chris & Kevin | Never Forgotten | April 5, 2000

Gary Andrew Speed, MBE — Always In Our Hearts, 1969-2011
rab_rant

Post by rab_rant »

Memo from Souleymane Doukara

You stupid Geordie soccer players... you don't frighten us with your
silly knees-bent running around advancing behaviour!
You don't frighten us, Geordie pig-dogs! Go and boil your bottom,
sons of a silly persons. You frog spawn jelly you. I blow my nose at you,
so-called footballers, I will raise my armpits and let the smell waft in your
general direction you and all your silly so called garlic eating onion munching
Spanish manager. I don't wanna talk to you no more, you empty headed animal
food trough wiper! Go eat your Pan Haggerty and your disgusting Saveloy Dip.
The grease on your chins does not frighten us. I slap your faces with Craster Kippers.
I fart in your general direction! Your mother was a Blackpool donkey and your
father smelt of stale Newcastle brown ale and a month old ham and pease sandwich!
Do not bother turning up for the game cos we will beat you so hard you would wish
you were Scotsmen. Your are all ladies running around the Gallowgate in high heels,
fish net stockings, tank tops and miniskirts. We will love it just love it when you succumb
to our superior footballing skills. You will weep and gnash the teeth when we punch you
in the dick so hard. You will moan like Helen Keeler. Now go away or I shall taunt
you a second time-a
hector

Post by hector »

:roflmao:

If the air is not thin where you are......

I want what you have been taking....... :shock: :shock:

Excellent speech ala the Holy Grail ... :-D
Song machine is coming down....
And we're gonna have a party Uhuhu
rab_rant

Post by rab_rant »

No pasta for the barcodes. The players have to have Saveloy Dip

and for desert some Craster Kippers.

1964white

Post by 1964white »

The Jolly Fisherman Arms is the place to be for crab or prawn sandwiches....delicious

Looking forward to our visit at Craster again in the autumn

Northumbria is lovely, a secret location.....not anymore :wink:
Screenshot 2017-04-14 at 10.42.38.png
Screenshot 2017-04-14 at 10.44.25.png
gessa

Post by gessa »

Gayle will be a big miss for them.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
John in Louisiana
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

1964white wrote:The Jolly Fisherman Arms is the place to be for crab or prawn sandwiches....delicious

Looking forward to our visit at Craster again in the autumn
You're going to Craster's Keep?

Careful. Winter's coming.
John in Louisiana
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

I like this lineup tonight, particularly the back four.