Goal line technology

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Goal line technology

Post by 1964white »

To feature in the championship play-off semis

http://c.newsnow.co.uk/A/880917502?-11130:816:0

Well we are honoured :lol:
John in Louisiana
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: Goal line technology

Post by John in Louisiana »

It's about time, too.

And the good news is there are still a countless number of ways the League can screw us.

:-D
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Post by HarryofOz »

The A-League trialled a system of Video Assistant Referees (VARs) last weekend. The VAR is able to watch the match using their technology and can advise the ref if they believe that the ref clearly made an error in relation to a goal, a penalty, a mistaken identity (booked the wrong player) or the issuing of a red card.

The VAR can't overrule the ref (just like the linesmen/assistant referees) but can advise. The ref will then look at a replay of the event and make a decision.

Last weekend my team Sydney FC should have been given penalty that the referee missed (handball), The VAR contacted the ref who had a look at the replay and correctly awarded the penalty.
Un Marcelo Bielsa, solo hay un Marcelo Bielsa. Gracias Marcello. Marsching on together.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

HarryofOz wrote:The A-League trialled a system of Video Assistant Referees (VARs) last weekend. The VAR is able to watch the match using their technology and can advise the ref if they believe that the ref clearly made an error in relation to a goal, a penalty, a mistaken identity (booked the wrong player) or the issuing of a red card.

The VAR can't overrule the ref (just like the linesmen/assistant referees) but can advise. The ref will then look at a replay of the event and make a decision.

Last weekend my team Sydney FC should have been given penalty that the referee missed (handball), The VAR contacted the ref who had a look at the replay and correctly awarded the penalty.
Sounds a fair system to me Harry :tup:
Ratscoot
Manager
Manager

Post by Ratscoot »

FL have just announced that when the Goal Line Tech is used in any Leeds game it will automatically count as two goals if scored against Leeds, any disputed calls will automatically deduct points from Leeds and if it's also a weekend game the Chairman of Leeds will be censored and taken to court, or that's how I think the new FL Rule Book is written.
A bumble bee under the laws of physics shouldnt be able to fly, but it does because no one has told it that it can't
paddy parrott
Manager
Manager

Post by paddy parrott »

Please don't give up hem and more ideas, you don't want to give 'em any encouragement.
Crude
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Crude »

HarryofOz wrote:The A-League trialled a system of Video Assistant Referees (VARs) last weekend. The VAR is able to watch the match using their technology and can advise the ref if they believe that the ref clearly made an error in relation to a goal, a penalty, a mistaken identity (booked the wrong player) or the issuing of a red card.

To contact the ref, does the system have a giant red button and the ref wears a shock collar to help notify him?
RIP Twiggster, March 5, 2023

Chris & Kevin | Never Forgotten | April 5, 2000

Gary Andrew Speed, MBE — Always In Our Hearts, 1969-2011
gessa

Post by gessa »

Not before time imo, people say it will slow the game down, would it make it any slower than it is now, with the players surrounding the ref demanding a decision or disagreeing with what's been given.
Crude
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Crude »

gessa wrote:Not before time imo, people say it will slow the game down, would it make it any slower than it is now, with the players surrounding the ref demanding a decision or disagreeing with what's been given.
Any player (other than the captain) that go the ref to argue, then it should be an automatic fine that rises each time it happens. Sprinkle in yellow/red cards, and the issue goes away swiftly.
RIP Twiggster, March 5, 2023

Chris & Kevin | Never Forgotten | April 5, 2000

Gary Andrew Speed, MBE — Always In Our Hearts, 1969-2011
gessa

Post by gessa »

Crude wrote:Any player (other than the captain) that go the ref to argue, then it should be an automatic fine that rises each time it happens. Sprinkle in yellow/red cards, and the issue goes away swiftly.
Rugby have it sorted but for some reason the football authorities shy away from it.
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Post by HarryofOz »

Crude wrote:To contact the ref, does the system have a giant red button and the ref wears a shock collar to help notify him?
:mrgreen:
Un Marcelo Bielsa, solo hay un Marcelo Bielsa. Gracias Marcello. Marsching on together.
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Post by HarryofOz »

gessa wrote:Not before time imo, people say it will slow the game down, would it make it any slower than it is now, with the players surrounding the ref demanding a decision or disagreeing with what's been given.
You still have player protests of course, though refs are supposed to give a yellow card if any player calls for the video replay. But then again refs are supposed book players who call for their opponents to be booked, which they don't.

But in terms of slowing the game down - in the five games over the weekend the VAR was only used once so there was no major impact.

It's really no different to any hold up caused when a ref consults with the linesman - the linesman is an assistant referee and the bloke with the technology is also an assistant referee
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Post by HarryofOz »

1964white wrote:Sounds a fair system to me Harry :tup:
I agree, though the fans of our opponents were complaining.
Kyle_5351
First Team
First Team

Post by Kyle_5351 »

I support goal line technology as it is pretty much an instant decision due to the sensors.

VAR's, which Harry has spoken about is another story. More time will be needed to determine whether this is a viable option and at the current time I am in the camp of being against it. I am all for being proved wrong though.