Newcastle v Leeds - Team/News/Reports/Ratings

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Newcastle v Leeds - Team/News/Reports/Ratings

Post by weasel »

liggy wrote:We where absolutely slaughtered 2nd half.
The toons squad is nowhere near good enough for the P/L
We'd struggle to get into double figures points wise if we win the playoffs.
Say what you want ,but that was a reality check .
Where effing light years away,
Newcastle are a decent side and would have survived in the premiership with that squad this season. Too often teams go down because they have too many players who aren't prepared to fight when the going gets tough and just quit knowing that at the end of the season another club will buy them. We have a team who will fight for every point and have got points and wins when not playing well.

You just have to look at how disorganised and sh*t Hull looked at the beginning of the season to take confidence if we got promoted because they have a chance of survival. Let's get there first before we write off our chances of survival.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

faaip wrote:Green - 9
Ayling - 6
Jansson 10 MOTM
Bartley - 9

those two CB's just form the perfect defensive partnership

Beradi - 7

Bridcutt - 6 (faded after a good start)
Philips - 7
Roofe - 9 (Kept trying all night and a sublime ball of the highest quality unlocked the door)
Hernandez - 7, (good start, got kicked in the head and went quiet before adding some very late urgency)
Pedraza - 7 - (Hit the crossbar and should not have come off)

Wood - 8 Quiet all night but a quality touch finish to salvage a long lost point

Doukara - 5 - just well off the pace
Sacko - 5 - Did nothing with his possession
Taylor 6 - Same as Sacko but not on as long
Fully agree Jansson was outstanding as was Green. Once again Pontus proved how crucial he is to our back four covering the hides of Ayling, Berardi & our midfielders throughout the game. Had it not been for our best CB & Rob Green we'd have got battered last night.

Time for bed :sleep3:
abundegas
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by abundegas »

I woke up this morning with two thoughts...

1. Leeds' fitness this season is phenomenal compared with how it's been for a long time. That was a class goal at any point in a match, but the thoughtful patient build up, two clinical passes and killer finish were clear signs that the players were physically and mentally fresh in the 95th minute. And that's after the runaround that Newcastle gave them.

2. If there is still no song for Chris Wood, how about something based on Fatboy Slim's "Praise You" (my fuzzy early morning brain can't be sure whether I got this idea from somewhere else or not, I just found myself humming the tune).

We've come a long long way together,
Through the hard times and the good,
We've got to celebrate your goals,
We've got to praise you, oh Chris Wood

Kind of captures the essence of MoT and Woods' transformation this season.

Clacton White
First Team
First Team

Post by Clacton White »

weasel wrote:All players in the changing room will have ideas and it is usually the way that certain players would be vocal anyway. The way I heard it Monk allows them to take stock and think, rather than just react straightaway, let them have their say and then make suggestions/orders etc. Very good man-management as he will have to have the final say over what pans etc they will use in the second half but it makes the players feel involved and also, like the sky sports pundit suggested, enables the players to also be able to think for themselves and work out problems if things are going wrong on the pitch.
Yes - getting players involved and making THEM think it over and come up with solutions , rather than " do this ,do that " . A more inspirational way and a good way of teamwork and involving everyone equally . If you feel you are involved in a decision or strategy , maybe more likely to buy into it and make it work .
rab_rant

Post by rab_rant »

To sum it all up... the passes.

Jannson-Hernandez-Roofe-Wood = the mother of all dick punches
rab_rant

Post by rab_rant »

Oh and it was priceless that Rafa was pointing at his watch and complaining to the ref
about where all the extra minutes were coming from... well he should not have instructed
JohnJo and Mitrovic to play tippy tappy toe in the corner and bounce the ball off the billboards.
The extra time came from their time wasting... poetic justice.
jindy30
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by jindy30 »

Well just about lost my mind when woody scored... Reminded me of Roofes goal against villa. Up till then though we were pretty bad,and should have lost by a couple, but how many times have I said that this season. IMHO Kalvin Philips is a gem... Assisted the goal against reading and seems to always be there. Generally i felt the whole team was off the pace, it was a fast pace game but there was not a lot of movement... and out play seemed desperate... Dourkara what an improved player. He brings a lot of confidence to our side, he can hold the ball up too. It just seems we can't be beaten, even against all the odds and then run of play.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

rab_rant wrote:Oh and it was priceless that Rafa was pointing at his watch and complaining to the ref
about where all the extra minutes were coming from... well he should not have instructed
JohnJo and Mitrovic to play tippy tappy toe in the corner and bounce the ball off the billboards.
The extra time came from their time wasting... poetic justice.
To be honest I think Leeds were short changed by the amount of injury time as the ref blew the full time whistle after 6 1/2 minutes but this was despite there initially being 5 minutes then a delay at the start of injury time by some sort of pitch invasion and also the time wasting by Shelvey, for which he got booked. The initial 5 minutes seemed about right given that there was 6 substitutions (so 6 * 30 seconds as per the rules) and at least 1 injury (Ritchie's after the foul by Taylor) that caused a sizeable delay.

I really couldn't see what Benitez was moaning about as at least 2 of his substitutions were very late in the game and just designed to slow down any momentum that Leeds were trying to build up. Like others have said we weren't building up any momentum and Benitez would have been better off not making the subs, and his players time wasting and just seeing out the match that they had control of.
Ratscoot
Manager
Manager

Post by Ratscoot »

Great draw just coming down from the emotion of it all, I was going nuts at all the time wasting by Newcastle I hate that so for that alone we deserved to score the look on their faces was priceless - brilliant

Let's go on and smash the Wolves Monday expect a big crowd for the game and a great atmosphere Come On Leeds
A bumble bee under the laws of physics shouldnt be able to fly, but it does because no one has told it that it can't
1964white

Post by 1964white »

faaip wrote:Green - 9
Ayling - 6
Jansson 10 MOTM
Bartley - 9

those two CB's just form the perfect defensive partnership

Beradi - 7

Bridcutt - 6 (faded after a good start)
Philips - 7
Roofe - 9 (Kept trying all night and a sublime ball of the highest quality unlocked the door)
Hernandez - 7, (good start, got kicked in the head and went quiet before adding some very late urgency)
Pedraza - 7 - (Hit the crossbar and should not have come off)

Wood - 8 Quiet all night but a quality touch finish to salvage a long lost point

Doukara - 5 - just well off the pace
Sacko - 5 - Did nothing with his possession
Taylor 6 - Same as Sacko but not on as long
I really think you are somewhat over the top with some of your ratings, yes it was an improvement on our last three aways (couldn't be any worse tbh) but there were only two players who were outstanding......our midfield was totally overrun.....two fullbacks were poor....attacking ideas were very scarce & limited

Your imo mate :tup:
MissSurreyWhite
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by MissSurreyWhite »

Clacton White wrote:Yes - getting players involved and making THEM think it over and come up with solutions , rather than " do this ,do that " . A more inspirational way and a good way of teamwork and involving everyone equally . If you feel you are involved in a decision or strategy , maybe more likely to buy into it and make it work .
Interesting insight to the dressing room and shows what a progressive manager we have.
Also seems like a much better longer term strategy. As opposed to a Warnock who I assume would be a 'Do it this way' type of manager. Ok for a short while but not much to build on.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

rab_rant wrote:Interesting fact came out about GM method of delivering the HT talk.
Apparently he writes three things down that he wants the team to improve
on and gives the list to the players to discuss and come up with a plan on
how to deal the the points that GM has made.

So the solution comes from players themselves rather than listening to
an inspirational talk from the manager.
So that's why we are so clueless at times :wink:

Do footballers have brains ?
1964white

Post by 1964white »

liggy wrote:We where absolutely slaughtered 2nd half.
The toons squad is nowhere near good enough for the P/L
We'd struggle to get into double figures points wise if we win the playoffs.
Say what you want ,but that was a reality check .
Where effing light years away,
Welcome to MOT liggy :tup:

True mate we are nowhere near ready for the prem, lets face it we can't pass a football unlike the Barcodes, Brentford & Fulham who all played us off the park however we do have a hard-working ethic, bags of effort/energy with a never say die attitude right to the end
A major concern is certain players have saved us from a battering of late, lets hope we don't witness a hammering between now & the end of this season
1964white

Post by 1964white »

abundegas wrote:I woke up this morning with two thoughts...

1. Leeds' fitness this season is phenomenal compared with how it's been for a long time. That was a class goal at any point in a match, but the thoughtful patient build up, two clinical passes and killer finish were clear signs that the players were physically and mentally fresh in the 95th minute. And that's after the runaround that Newcastle gave them.

2. If there is still no song for Chris Wood, how about something based on Fatboy Slim's "Praise You" (my fuzzy early morning brain can't be sure whether I got this idea from somewhere else or not, I just found myself humming the tune).

We've come a long long way together,
Through the hard times and the good,
We've got to celebrate your goals,
We've got to praise you, oh Chris Wood

Kind of captures the essence of MoT and Woods' transformation this season.

We have a Chris Wood song as sung last night & the last 6 or 7 away games

Chris Wood, Chris Wood, Chrissy Chrissy Wood
He hits the ball & scores a goal
Chrissy Chrissy Wood
1964white

Post by 1964white »

weasel wrote:To be honest I think Leeds were short changed by the amount of injury time as the ref blew the full time whistle after 6 1/2 minutes but this was despite there initially being 5 minutes then a delay at the start of injury time by some sort of pitch invasion and also the time wasting by Shelvey, for which he got booked. The initial 5 minutes seemed about right given that there was 6 substitutions (so 6 * 30 seconds as per the rules) and at least 1 injury (Ritchie's after the foul by Taylor) that caused a sizeable delay.

I really couldn't see what Benitez was moaning about as at least 2 of his substitutions were very late in the game and just designed to slow down any momentum that Leeds were trying to build up. Like others have said we weren't building up any momentum and Benitez would have been better off not making the subs, and his players time wasting and just seeing out the match that they had control of.
All what i detest about football these days :chair:

So much time-wasting, feigning injury to stop a game, subs used to slow down the game, it takes more than 30 seconds for players to leave the pitch when subs are made

Cheating generally. I reckon us fans watch about 60 to 70 minutes of the 90 minute game

It doesn't happen in Rugby League where it is full on end to end play for 80 minutes.
Football could learn a lot from RL
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Apart from the first 15 minutes, and the last 10 seconds, we were poor !

9 Green
5 Ayling
7 Bartley
9.5 Jansson MOTM....outstanding
6 Berardi
5 Bridcutt
5 Phillips
6 Roofe
5 Hernandez
6 Pedraza
7 Wood
4 Sacko
4 Doukara
5 Taylor
paddy parrott
Manager
Manager

Post by paddy parrott »

Taken a point last night really does highlight how far we are from lying down to anyone though. We went toe to toe last night and after 15 mins we took a right battering and in fact didn't force a single corner kick that I'm aware of. The big forward Mitrovic was certainly a handful and showed what the highest level of defending will need to make the big time. Bartley and Pontus Jansson stood up to it all night and we have a top keeper in Rob Green .. my how they proved their worth ? immeasurably really. Physically we didn't nor couldn't match them in midfield or out wide but at least we are standing up and making ourselves hard to break down and I don't see anyone to good for us. MOT.
Durly
First Team
First Team

Post by Durly »

Well....well.....well......as if we didn't all know it already........this team has massive balls. Green and the back 4 were utterly immense. Threw themselves at everything and made sure we were still in the game at the end before Woody's sucker punch. Could be an absolutely vital point could that.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Durly wrote:Well....well.....well......as if we didn't all know it already........this team has massive balls. Green and the back 4 were utterly immense. Threw themselves at everything and made sure we were still in the game at the end before Woody's sucker punch. Could be an absolutely vital point could that
Said the same as we left the ground

That point could make the difference

Great celebrations at the end, absolute manic scenes in the Leeds end up there in the sky :wink:
rab_rant

Post by rab_rant »

If Fatboy Slim supported Leeds through the hard times and the good :-)
he would probably written this song.

Chris Wood scoring against Newcastle (the mother of all dick punches)