Newcastle v Leeds - Team/News/Reports/Ratings

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Newcastle v Leeds - Team/News/Reports/Ratings

Post by The Subhuman »

Cracking Rab, Roofe' movement to beat his marker and then the foresight to work his way back to the ball to box out his marker a second time before looking up and picking out Wood for that pass...just wow. If that were Messi we'd all be gasping but as it was Roofe it's meh and he was poor all game (spoiler: he wasn't). Hernandez work in that goal also very clever and the understanding between the two is the second best partnership in the team right now...Don't bench Roofe again...don't blow it now Leeds

Can we start with how good that Newcastle line up was, can I add that was in front of 52,000, can I add that was at St James, can I add that was the best Newcastle played all season, the movement and passing was premiership quality, can I add they cost millions more to buy and pay, can I add they have a premiership manager, can I add we've been a second tier team for 15 years, can I add that we need to stop living in the past, can I add that was a terrific performance last night defensively from ALL 11 players

Can I add to say we were poor is a little scandalous, the midfield wasn't allowed to play on the ball, but still they closed down and broke up play whenever they could, Roofe ran with the ball well and played some nice passes into space which others just missed. Bridcutt battled all day the work rate was intense, Phillips put himself about, Pedraza unlucky not to have us one up.

Newcastle played Leeds at home last night and turned all their weapons on us and bought their A game. A heart stopping fantastic game (I haven't enjoyed one as much all season) which delivered the perfect twist at the end. Both sets of fans sang their heart out and it was a great advert for second level football.
Last edited by The Subhuman on Sat Apr 15, 2017 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

faaip wrote:Cracking Rab, Roofe' movement to beat his marker and then the foresight to work his way back to the ball to box out his marker a second time before looking up and picking out Wood for that pass...just wow. If that were Messi we'd all be gasping but as it was Roofe it's meh and he was poor all game. Hernandez work in that goal also very clever and the understanding between the two is the second best partnership in the team right now...Don't bench Roofe again...don't blow it now Leeds
Roofe & Pablo have to start however apart from a couple of telling moments I thought they were average for much of the game. Our midfield doesn't protect the defence or create enough chances up top. Poor Wood is isolated in many of our games & we are heavily reliant on our keeper & CB's contantly bailing us out of trouble
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

Brilliant end to the game. I was all for turning the telly off when Newcastle were time wasting but Mr Swan wouldnt let me. Glad he didn't or I would have missed that brilliant goal and Rafas look of total disgust. Really pleased for the Leeds fans who went to the game, I'm sure that moment must have been well worth waiting for...eh 64?
Ronan
Manager
Manager

Post by Ronan »

Just back from a wee break up the North coast....could only get radio coverage of match...great point...that could make all the difference between playoffs and missing out.
Great team spirit when backs against the wall.

MOT !!!! :shirt: :shirt: :shirt:
Most plagiarists, like the drone, have neither taste to select, industry to acquire, nor skill to improve, but impudently pilfer the honey ready prepared, from the hive......
1964white

Post by 1964white »

whiteswan wrote:Brilliant end to the game. I was all for turning the telly off when Newcastle were time wasting but Mr Swan wouldnt let me. Glad he didn't or I would have missed that brilliant goal and Rafas look of total disgust. Really pleased for the Leeds fans who went to the game, I'm sure that moment must have been well worth waiting for...eh 64?
Didn't see that coming as we never looked like scoring in the second half Swan

Massive relief & manic celebrations when Wood scored. By the time we'd stopped jumping about St James Park was more or less empty :lol:
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Saw that, couldn't believe how quickly the Newcastle fans left
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

1964white wrote:Roofe & Pablo have to start however apart from a couple of telling moments I thought they were average for much of the game. Our midfield doesn't protect the defence or create enough chances up top. Poor Wood is isolated in many of our games & we are heavily reliant on our keeper & CB's contantly bailing us out of trouble
Agree with your summation of Roofe & Pablo's performance. They both produced a moment of quality in the build up to the goal but both struggled to impose themselves on the game, Roofe tried but was out-muscled a lot of times and although he is quick he is up against equally quick players now rather than when he was in Div2.

I would however disagree with the suggestion the midfield doesn't protect the defence. I have repeatedly argued that the midfield by being disciplined and keeping their shape forces the opposition to have to play out wide rather than through the middle which plays into our hands as we are usually good at dealing with crosses - or preventing the crosses with our full backs. Newcastle created the ajority of their chances from corners rather than open play and even when they hit the post it wasn't them carving us open it was poor control from Hernandez that opened us up.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

weasel wrote:Agree with your summation of Roofe & Pablo's performance. They both produced a moment of quality in the build up to the goal but both struggled to impose themselves on the game, Roofe tried but was out-muscled a lot of times and although he is quick he is up against equally quick players now rather than when he was in Div2.

I would however disagree with the suggestion the midfield doesn't protect the defence. I have repeatedly argued that the midfield by being disciplined and keeping their shape forces the opposition to have to play out wide rather than through the middle which plays into our hands as we are usually good at dealing with crosses - or preventing the crosses with our full backs. Newcastle created the majority of their chances from corners rather than open play and even when they hit the post it wasn't them carving us open it was poor control from Hernandez that opened us up.
Sorry Weasel we give the ball away far too cheaply & often. Bridcutt, Vieira, Phillips & as you highlighted Hernandez last night, that's not protecting our defence, it's putting our defenders under constant pressure. Our midfield has been overrun in the majority of our games this season. Our passing was woeful which was totally opposite to the Geordies style of play who were comfortable on the ball. As I posted earlier our defenders have bailed us out time & time again!
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

1964white wrote:Sorry Weasel we give the ball away far too cheaply & often. Bridcutt, Vieira, Phillips & as you highlighted Hernandez last night, that's not protecting our defence, it's putting our defenders under constant pressure. Our midfield has been overrun in the majority of our games this season. Our passing was woeful which was totally opposite to the Geordies style of play who were comfortable on the ball. As I posted earlier our defenders have bailed us out time & time again!
I didn't say we didn't give the ball away too often - you are trying to argue against something that I have not argued against - so we can both agree the midfield gives the ball away too often.
The argument I made was that our midfield is disciplined positionally so they do protect the back 4. However by being disciplined positionally it then can leave them isolated when we are in possession as they are too far away from the likes of Hernandez, Wood and the wingers. As such it is then much harder to play our way out of our own half.
BobHirst
Manager
Manager

Post by BobHirst »

I agree with the negative assessments of that game rather than the positive opinions.
One positive was that we never gave up but I think we were totally outplayed.
Our passing was poor and ineffective and apart from the shot that hit the bar, we never looked like scoring.
In the end a fantastic point. But, unless we can afford to buy 6 premier level players, there is no way we need to go up this year.
Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Norm »

faaip » Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:42 am

Cracking Rab, Roofe' movement to beat his marker and then the foresight to work his way back to the ball to box out his marker a second time before looking up and picking out Wood for that pass...just wow. If that were Messi we'd all be gasping but as it was Roofe it's meh and he was poor all game (spoiler: he wasn't). Hernandez work in that goal also very clever and the understanding between the two is the second best partnership in the team right now...Don't bench Roofe again...don't blow it now Leeds

Can we start with how good that Newcastle line up was, can I add that was in front of 52,000, can I add that was at St James, can I add that was the best Newcastle played all season, the movement and passing was premiership quality, can I add they cost millions more to buy and pay, can I add they have a premiership manager, can I add we've been a second tier team for 15 years, can I add that we need to stop living in the past, can I add that was a terrific performance last night defensively from ALL 11 players

Can I add to say we were poor is a little scandalous, the midfield wasn't allowed to play on the ball, but still they closed down and broke up play whenever they could, Roofe ran with the ball well and played some nice passes into space which others just missed. Bridcutt battled all day the work rate was intense, Phillips put himself about, Pedraza unlucky not to have us one up.

Newcastle played Leeds at home last night and turned all their weapons on us and bought their A game. A heart stopping fantastic game (I haven't enjoyed one as much all season) which delivered the perfect twist at the end. Both sets of fans sang their heart out and it was a great advert for second level football.
Nice summation.

If we miss out on promotion, this could be our apprenticeship for next season - much the same manner as Brighton and Huddersfield did last season leading up to this one.

Maybe all the little bits we have - especially the never-say-die spirit - become amplified by more facets of our game coming together so that we don't lose the tenacity, fitness and will but other parts of our game improve so that we can dominate games and be a more complete outfit.

Don't get me wrong, yes I'd love us to go up by sheer blind luck, but if we don't, it would be good to build on what Monk has already done for us.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Norm wrote:Nice summation.

If we miss out on promotion, this could be our apprenticeship for next season - much the same manner as Brighton and Huddersfield did last season leading up to this one.

Maybe all the little bits we have - especially the never-say-die spirit - become amplified by more facets of our game coming together so that we don't lose the tenacity, fitness and will but other parts of our game improve so that we can dominate games and be a more complete outfit.

Don't get me wrong, yes I'd love us to go up by sheer blind luck, but if we don't, it would be good to build on what Monk has already done for us.
Agree Norm, always said we're a year away from being ready for promotion to the prem

Only problem with that scenario is will we be in a position to hold onto Monk & our best players

Pontus & Bartley are not officially signed up & I'm expecting there'll be a bid for Chris Wood at around £20m come the summer
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

BobHirst wrote:I agree with the negative assessments of that game rather than the positive opinions.
One positive was that we never gave up but I think we were totally outplayed.
Our passing was poor and ineffective and apart from the shot that hit the bar, we never looked like scoring.
In the end a fantastic point. But, unless we can afford to buy 6 premier level players, there is no way we need to go up this year.

Always a need to go up, prepared or not...and that reason is 100M pounds
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Highest point I've ever been in a football ground, felt like we were sat in the sky
Screenshot 2017-04-15 at 19.19.28.png
liggy
First Team
First Team

Post by liggy »

Well I woke up this morning with only one thought :pig: (but the snow queen wasn't interested :twisted: )
Back to the match, couldn't fault the effort,10/10.
Newcastle v Leeds should be a top flight game,
I mean Bournemouth v Watford ffs c'mon now.
If we miss out so be it, ( done Brighton no harm ) I think us & villa ,
Will be the teams to catch next season.
If we can add a couple of class midfielders we'll win the league next season.
Anyhow's enjoy the rest of easter ( can we still say easter? :roflmao: ) why not
Try one of liggys cocktails, Nightmares is A particular favourite ....ingredients .
1 a bottle of white lighting ( spar shop is fine )
2 a bottle of night nurse. ( any 24 hr chemist )
3 a spoonful Tabasco. ( optional )
Add all listed ingredients into a pint glass
Hold hand over said glass shake vigorously
At this point make sure the landlord 's not watching
Down in under 15 seconds enjoy.
Charity Shield 69
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Charity Shield 69 »

While our good work with the ball was very spasmodic, it was great to see that move late in the game to produce such as excellent goal, a terrific reward for the effort and intent on display.

Isn't that the best kind of point, the one achieved when it seems that we will get none?

I'll rate every player a 9 or 10 for effort and intent, the only categories on which I would judge players at this stage of the season.

Cheers,
CS69
Cheers,
CS69
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

1964white

Post by 1964white »

faaip wrote:like
And 6 or under for quality apart from five players

Unlike :wink:
Oscar
First Team
First Team

Post by Oscar »

Watched the game again this morning, as I was at a wedding on Friday so only saw the last 30 minutes. Having watched the game again defensively and off the ball we were outstanding unfortunately that affected us going forward, however, Newcastle ran out of ideas at times of how to break us down. I wasn't that impressed by Newcastle tbh I thought we handled Shelvey, Ritchie and Mitrovic really well.
Ratings:
Green 7- 2 good reaction saves and unlucky with the goal. His decision making on crosses and positioning was good again, his consistency has been exceptional in the second half of the season.
Ayling 6- Wasn't really tested often defensively, however, made 2 poor decisions in the 2nd half which could have cost us, going forward I thought he did well with some good movement and a Xavi-like pass to Sacko in the second half.
Bartley 7 - Some good decision making throughout the game did well against Mitrovic.
Pontus 9- Man Of The Match 2 crucial blocks and won everything, he really is on another level.
Berardi 7- Berardi won the battle against Ritchie imo.
Bridcutt 7- Excellent first half, his positioning was so so good. More difficult for him in the second half, however, I thought his passing throughout the game was excellent and he won his battle against Shelvey.
Phillips 6- He never hides no matter how difficult a game it is and he made some crucial interceptions, struggled in the second half.
Roofe 6- A mostly quiet game for Kemar, however, his bravery on the ball is outstanding to watch and his cross for the equaliser was outstanding.
Hernandez 4- Lost the ball far too often and easily throughout the game, however, his run which led to Kemar's cross was vital and shows why he has to start every game.
Pedraza 6- So unlucky not to score and worked hard throughout the game. He was quiet in the second half, however, I thought he was unlucky to be taken off.
Wood 8-Only had 28 touches of the ball, however, his use of the ball was incredibly efficient great run and finish, never stopped running and goal saving block at the end of the game.
Substitutions:
Sacko 4- Awful and didn't work hard enough to help Ayling.
Doukara 6- Allowed Roofe to move to the left and did ok.
Taylor 6- Got forward well, however, his passing wasn't great tbh defended well whenever he had to.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Gary Shaw wrote:Watched the game again this morning, as I was at a wedding on Friday so only saw the last 30 minutes. Having watched the game again defensively and off the ball we were outstanding unfortunately that affected us going forward, however, Newcastle ran out of ideas at times of how to break us down. I wasn't that impressed by Newcastle tbh I thought we handled Shelvey, Ritchie and Mitrovic really well.
Ratings:
Green 7- 2 good reaction saves and unlucky with the goal. His decision making on crosses and positioning was good again, his consistency has been exceptional in the second half of the season.
Ayling 6- Wasn't really tested often defensively, however, made 2 poor decisions in the 2nd half which could have cost us, going forward I thought he did well with some good movement and a Xavi-like pass to Sacko in the second half.
Bartley 7 - Some good decision making throughout the game did well against Mitrovic.
Pontus 9- Man Of The Match 2 crucial blocks and won everything, he really is on another level
Berardi 7- Berardi won the battle against Ritchie imo.
Bridcutt 7- Excellent first half, his positioning was so so good. More difficult for him in the second half, however, I thought his passing throughout the game was excellent and he won his battle against Shelvey.
Phillips 6- He never hides no matter how difficult a game it is and he made some crucial interceptions, struggled in the second half.
Roofe 6- A mostly quiet game for Kemar, however, his bravery on the ball is outstanding to watch and his cross for the equaliser was outstanding.
Hernandez 4- Lost the ball far too often and easily throughout the game, however, his run which led to Kemar's cross was vital and shows why he has to start every game.
Pedraza 6- So unlucky not to score and worked hard throughout the game. He was quiet in the second half, however, I thought he was unlucky to be taken off.
Wood 8-Only had 28 touches of the ball, however, his use of the ball was incredibly efficient great run and finish, never stopped running and goal saving block at the end of the game.
Substitutions:
Sacko 4- Awful and didn't work hard enough to help Ayling.
Doukara 6- Allowed Roofe to move to the left and did ok.
Taylor 6- Got forward well, however, his passing wasn't great tbh defended well whenever he had to.
He really is Oscar

The first time I clapped eyes on Pontus I immediately thought we have a class player here'

Some fans are unbelievably critical of him, some doubt him. I've never lost faith in Jansson as his quality/tenacity is top draw, the best CB I've seen at Leeds in a very long time

Grabbing a point right at the death was great however there was a distinct lack of quality from too many of our players for us to go on & win that game

I'd have taken a point before setting off so we have to be happy, could be a very crucial one point come the end of the season