Burton v Leeds - Team/News/Reports/Ratings

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
gessa

Burton v Leeds - Team/News/Reports/Ratings

Post by gessa »

Garry Monk press conference before Burton game

Lee Sobot:
Garry Monk tells LUTV: "Ronaldo Vieira had illness over the last 2 games, but he is back in training and will be available on Saturday
Monk: "Tyler Denton is back in training, so we only have Marco Silvestri and Liam Cooper unavailable"
Monk: "It's very clear, we have three games and we have the mentality that we have to win the three games
Monk: "It's perhaps easier now (the maths of it), if we win those three games we make the play-offs
Monk on Wolves: "Unfortunately this can happen. It's easy to forget that the group have come so far."
Monk: "It's a little bit unfortunate that we have found a year which is ultra competitive. 82 points could just get you in
Monk: "There will be no-one more determined than the players, for sure.
Monk: "Burton have done exceptionally well and Nigel has done a very good job there.
Garry Monk, on how he'd feel if #lufc miss out on the play-offs; "I don't envisage us missing out
Ronaldo Vieira had tonsillitis, hence his two-game absence. He's fine now and is back in training
Garry Monk, asked about this 'C'mon Leeds. 3 from 3. Let's get this s**t done' Tweet from @russellcrowe "Good man!" #lufc

Garry Monk, asked if he'd spoke to Jansson on Premier clubs 'interest': "There's absolutely no need. I don't talk about speculation"
Monk on Jansson:"Every single one of my players, they are fully focused and ready for these games starting with this game on Saturday

LUFC:
"We have no new injury concerns, Tyler Denton is back in training, so we only have Marco Silvestri and Liam Cooper unavailable"
"Ronaldo Vieira had illness over the last two games, but he is back in training and will be available on Saturday"
"Nigel Clough has done an exceptional job at @burtonalbionfc, he is a very good manager"
The Championship is so competitive this season, 73 points in previous years would have been enough for a Play-Off place"
"We are of the mindset now that we have to go and win the three games"
It is simple, if we win the three games, we have a place in the Play-Offs"
"It isn't going to be easy to win all three, but it is something we believe we can achieve
There isn't a better set of fans to have behind us, when we have a challenge"
gessa

Re: Leeds v Burton- Team/News/Reports/Ratings

Post by gessa »

--------------Green--------------

Berardi--- Bartley------Jansson-------Taylor

-------------Vieira--------Phillips

Roofe-----------Hernandez-----------Dallas

-----------------------Wood--------------'
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Maybe you starting the matchday topic will bring us some luck Ges :scarf1:
gessa

Post by gessa »

1964white wrote:Maybe you starting the matchday topic will bring us some luck Ges :scarf1:

I was wearing my lucky pants at the time too.
hector

Post by hector »

gessa wrote:I was wearing my lucky pants at the time too.
:shock: :shock:

TMI

:lol:
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

hector wrote::shock: :shock:

TMI

:lol:

for lucky pants read wifes knickers
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
1964white

Post by 1964white »

gessa wrote:I was wearing my lucky pants at the time too.
If we win on Saturday please don't change them until our next defeat :wink:
Gurj
Manager
Manager

Post by Gurj »

So nervous for 2moro already, no doubts this is the biggest game we have had since Bristol Rovers few years back.
Asbolutely imperative we get the 3 points and hopefully either Wednesday or Fulham slip up, preferably both !!

GM must get the team selection right. Way he spoke after Wolves was he was going to take off the shackles and go for it far more.
I hope thats true but we cant go totally gung ho and leave the defence exposed.
LEEDS AND FOREVER PROUD TO BE !!
NorfolkWhite
Manager
Manager

Post by NorfolkWhite »

gessa wrote:--------------Green--------------

Roofe-----------Hernandez-----------Dallas

-----------------------Wood--------------'
Don't think I'd be far off that but would shift Taylor up to LM and bring in Ayling (Berardi to LB)
mav
First Team
First Team

Post by mav »

--------------Green--------------

-------------Vieira--------OKane

Roofe------------------------------------Dallas

----------The Duke-------------Wood------------

Dallas because he allows Taylor to be far more aggressive, Roofe for his running, the Duke and Wood should keep defenders honest and allow OKane to get forward at times.
Every game I predict a 3 - 1 Leeds win, I am traditional like that.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Gurj wrote:So nervous for 2moro already, no doubts this is the biggest game we have had since Bristol Rovers few years back.
Asbolutely imperative we get the 3 points and hopefully either Wednesday or Fulham slip up, preferably both !!

GM must get the team selection right. Way he spoke after Wolves was he was going to take off the shackles and go for it far more
I hope thats true but we cant go totally gung ho and leave the defence exposed.
Should have done it months ago. I really rate Monk as a manager however my main quibble is he is far too cautious !
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Trouble is until the last 5 matches we had still been going along at 17/18 points for every 10 games despite shaky performances at times and the team/squad seemed best suited to a counter attacking style. It is very easy to say change the style but we could very easily simply come unstuck and take a battering against teams that are more experienced playing their way. Just changing our style doesn't automatically mean we will be able to pass better, keep the ball better and create more chances - just as easily we could become wide open and start conceding left, right and centre.

A good example would be the Leeds promotion winning team under Simon Grayson. First half of the season we were a counter attacking side built on an incredibly solid defence (similar to us under Monk). With the uncertainty surrounding Beckford's future and injuries cropping up in our defence SG switched to a more attacking formation in the second half of the season and we never looked the same, only just scraping promotion but getting hammered by the likes of Swindon who had an established way of playing and were far better at it than us.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

weasel wrote:Trouble is until the last 5 matches we had still been going along at 17/18 points for every 10 games despite shaky performances at times and the team/squad seemed best suited to a counter attacking style. It is very easy to say change the style but we could very easily simply come unstuck and take a battering against teams that are more experienced playing their way. Just changing our style doesn't automatically mean we will be able to pass better, keep the ball better and create more chances - just as easily we could become wide open and start conceding left, right and centre.

A good example would be the Leeds promotion winning team under Simon Grayson. First half of the season we were a counter attacking side built on an incredibly solid defence (similar to us under Monk). With the uncertainty surrounding Beckford's future and injuries cropping up in our defence SG switched to a more attacking formation in the second half of the season and we never looked the same, only just scraping promotion but getting hammered by the likes of Swindon who had an established way of playing and were far better at it than us.
We took batterings at Huddersfield, Barnsley, Brentford & Fulham/Newcastle (got lucky) = 2 points from those five games

Played poor/negatively v Reading, Wolves, QPR, Cardiff, Ipswich = 2 points from those five games

You can't continue to play poorly/negatively & expect to win games as was the case in the above ten games over the last three months
Ratscoot
Manager
Manager

Post by Ratscoot »

-------------Green--------------

Sacko-----------Roofe-----------Pedraza

-----------------------Wood--------------

Feel Pablos let us down in the last couple of games and is usually poor away from Elland Road so time for him to sit on the bench, we need to go for Burton, score a few goals to get the confidence back in the team
A bumble bee under the laws of physics shouldnt be able to fly, but it does because no one has told it that it can't
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

1964white wrote:We took batterings at Huddersfield, Barnsley, Brentford & Fulham/Newcastle (got lucky) = 2 points from those five games

Played poor/negatively v Reading, Wolves, QPR, Cardiff, Ipswich = 2 points from those five games

You can't continue to play poorly/negatively & expect to win games as was the case in the above ten games over the last three months
Yes but like I said despite the poor performances and losses in some of those games overall we were still maintaining promotion form of 17/18 points per 10 matches. Add 5/6 points to the last 5 matches (as had been our consistent average) and things would have looked much rosier.

Despite the 'batterings' we didn't lose by more than a goal in those matches and even picked up points in some - which meant that in games such as the Newcastle match we were able to get something out of the match. If we went more attacking v Newcastle they would have probably ripped us apart and beaten us 5-0. Why do you think we'd do better by simply playing attacking football - more likely other teams would have been better at playing that way and thrashed us. We have a way of playing which makes us hard to beat even when playing sh*t. That has seen us win/draw games where we haven't played well - yes we will also lose some matches but we do not have a team that is simply going to overpower teams because you say play attractive football lads.

I have maintained all along we have overachieved with what we/Monk has.
1964white

Re: Burton v Leeds - Team/News/Reports/Ratings

Post by 1964white »

For the first time this season I have serious reservations about us getting a result tomorrow

I generally fancy us to win games but I have a strange feeling about this one !

I just hope my fears are put to bed with a performance & a half from the lads

Play football & we'll win the game......play as we have in previous games & we'll suffer yet another defeat :(
rich_leeds64
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @richleeds64

Post by rich_leeds64 »

This is as tough as they get, Burton, who on their day can compete with anyone and are fighting for their championship survival against an out of sorts Leeds United. Gary Monk and the players have to be focused on one thing and that's a win, nothing less will do. We can't approach this game in a negative frame of mind, we need to dominate and to an extent throw caution to the wind in an effort to get the 3 points. If we lose then we will throw away all the hard work that's gone on throughout the season. I'm nervous, but will relax if , for a change , we can take an early lead and settle into the game. Come on Leeds lets do it.
Last edited by rich_leeds64 on Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gessa

Post by gessa »

NorfolkWhite wrote:Don't think I'd be far off that but would shift Taylor up to LM and bring in Ayling (Berardi to LB)
I could go with that NW.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

rich_leeds64 wrote:This is as tough as they get, Burton, who on their day can compete with anyone and are fighting for their championship survival against an out of sorts Leeds United. Gary Monk and the players have to be focused on one thing and that's a win, nothing less will do. We can't approach this game in a negative frame of mind, we need to dominate and to an extent throw caution to the wind in an effort to get the 3 points. If we lose then we will throw away all the hard work that's gone on throughout the season. I'm nervous, but will relax if , for a change , we can take an early lead and settle into the game. Come on Leeds lets do it.
Are you going Rich ?
rich_leeds64
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @richleeds64

Post by rich_leeds64 »

Unfortunately not, I've had a shocking away record this season. I missed too many aways early on therefore when all the loyalty games came along I hadn't enough games under my belt to qualify. I did go to Burton for a pre season when Luke Varneyscored on his debut in a 1-0 win