Even if we don't make the play-offs......

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Gurj
Manager
Manager

Re: Even if we don't make the play-offs......

Post by Gurj »

1964white wrote:Would Brighton fans had been making the same comments just before their must win game at Boro where they drew & then lost in the play-offs ?

They retained Hughton, made key additions to their squad & look how they have progressed this season. The Seagulls were one of my tips to win the championship this time round.

I always judge a club by the manager. Benitez & Hughton had prem experience.
Hopefully Monk follows the same route as Chris Hughton who consolidated their position in his first season at Brighton with the knowledge he had something to work & build on for the 2016/17 season

Rome wasn't built in a day !
Huge difference between our squad and Brighton's when they narrowly failed to get promoted Leon.
Remember they got a huge 89 points last season, losing only 5 games throughout and only failed to go up automatically due to GD.
Therefore, they were in a much stronger position to ' go again ' this season only needing minor tweaks to the squad.

Whereas we are nowhere auto promotion, have lost 14 games and many of our key men are either only here on loan or subject to transfer speculation - our record of keeping hold of players is appalling.

So I dont think you can compare the Brighton of last year to LUFC right now at all I am afraid !
LEEDS AND FOREVER PROUD TO BE !!
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Gurj wrote:Huge difference between our squad and Brighton's when they narrowly failed to get promoted Leon.
Remember they got a huge 89 points last season, losing only 5 games throughout and only failed to go up automatically due to GD.
Therefore, they were in a much stronger position to ' go again ' this season only needing minor tweaks to the squad.

Whereas we are nowhere auto promotion, have lost 14 games and many of our key men are either only here on loan or subject to transfer speculation - our record of keeping hold of players is appalling.

So I dont think you can compare the Brighton of last year to LUFC right now at all I am afraid !

Agree with this, I would be surprised if Jansson is here next season and Torino would get any money from that sale, also we'd probably need to find close to 10 Mill minimum to secure him such are the inflated prices in the prem. Bartley could be sold by Swansea for more money that we can afford.

Taylor is out of contract, Green' performances may get him one more shot in the Prem. He's also out of contract. I'm not sure but I think Beradi maybe out of contract too

Monk will be headhunted so it'll be up to him basically to choose. Compensation for managers is not that high and good ones are tough to replace as it is always a lottery with managers.

We'll have anther ownership saga again this off season with I suspect a long drawn out will he won't he scenario as to whether Rad buys out Cellino. Always a distraction.

So as it stands next seasons team looks like this I guess

Silvestri
Ayling
Cooper
McKay
Denton
Vierra
Phillips
Dallas
Wood
Hernandez
Roofe
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
NorfolkWhite
Manager
Manager

Post by NorfolkWhite »

First time in a long time I've been proud of the team and how they've conducted themselves on and off the field for many a year. We have a group of players who have been committed to the cause and put their bodies on the line all season. At times we haven't been good enough and have been outplayed but we have had the character to pick ourselves up when beaten and stick in there in games we would previously have shipped bag fulls of goal, there is no way that any team we have had over the last 5 years would have got a point away at Newcastle.

On top of that we also have a manager who brings the team together and has got the absolute maximum out of them, ok there have been low points, but look at how abject Newcastle were against Ipswich and the resources and managerial experience they have. I think we do, quite rightly, focus intently on our own team and think that the things that go wrong only happen at our club, when in truth performances like Wolves happen everywhere. On top of this GM conducts himself in exemplary fashion with the media, he says the right things to the camera and does his plain talking in the dressing room and on the training pitch - it's plain the group have great respect for him and his ideas.

Irrespective of whether we make the playoffs and if we make the playoffs what happens this season should only be viewed as a success. It may be painful to fall at such a late hurdle when we have the dream in touching distance but all I want from a Leeds team is that they give their all - and if we do miss out this season it will be because ultimately we weren't quite good enough and not because we didn't put in the effort - I can live with that, it's then down to the board to sit down with GM and analyse where we weren't good enough and increase the quality whilst maintaining the same application levels. I don't buy this "we have to get up this season" stuff, what we need to do is maintain the upward trajectory, we are a big club and an attractive proposition (now more so than any time recently) so we may well lose players but there are plenty more good ones out there, nobody is irreplaceable, some may be more difficult to replace than others but with money in the pot we should be able to get the right people in. Job number one for me would be signing up GM, he is the key to long term future and success we want.
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

faaip wrote:Agree with this, I would be surprised if Jansson is here next season and Torino would get any money from that sale, also we'd probably need to find close to 10 Mill minimum to secure him such are the inflated prices in the prem. Bartley could be sold by Swansea for more money that we can afford.

Taylor is out of contract, Green' performances may get him one more shot in the Prem. He's also out of contract. I'm not sure but I think Beradi maybe out of contract too

Monk will be headhunted so it'll be up to him basically to choose. Compensation for managers is not that high and good ones are tough to replace as it is always a lottery with managers.

We'll have anther ownership saga again this off season with I suspect a long drawn out will he won't he scenario as to whether Rad buys out Cellino. Always a distraction.

Silvestri
Ayling
Cooper
McKay
Denton
Vierra
Phillips
Dallas
Wood
Hernandez
Roofe
I doubt Wood will be here either faaip :(
Ronan
Manager
Manager

Post by Ronan »

I am on the Guinness...let's be positive....3 points tomorrow and who knows....i just want us to sample the playoffs this year...it will give us the taste for it

MOT !!! :shirt: :shirt: :shirt:
Most plagiarists, like the drone, have neither taste to select, industry to acquire, nor skill to improve, but impudently pilfer the honey ready prepared, from the hive......
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

faaip wrote:Agree with this, I would be surprised if Jansson is here next season and Torino would get any money from that sale, also we'd probably need to find close to 10 Mill minimum to secure him such are the inflated prices in the prem. Bartley could be sold by Swansea for more money that we can afford.

Silvestri
Ayling
Cooper
McKay
Denton
Vierra
Phillips
Dallas
Wood
Hernandez
Roofe
Green signed a contract extension recently. There was a clause in his contract guaranteeing him another year if he played in so many matches and he took up the option. Berardi is under contract too - the only one out of contract is Taylor. Doukara is under contract too having got his contract extended this season.

I was under the impression that the Jansson deal is done but that we don't pay Torino until the end of the season. Jannson signed something so at the very least we'd get compensated if he broke the agreement.
Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Norm »

There seems to be a blithe consideration going the rounds where it is opined that we can replace the good players we have if they leave us for whatever reason.
This may be true if we have the money and the promotion but without one or both that's likely to be a no-no. Let's hope, in particular, that Pontus and Garry have made up properly, with tongue.

Sometimes, teams get a once-in-an-era chance to get a very good squad managed by someone who can suck his thumb at the right angle and make something of it. I have an immense hope that this fits us but, unfortunately, it also depends on the end-of-season Championship. We have been its first victims but can only hope for a sharing of its caprice.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

weasel wrote:Green signed a contract extension recently. There was a clause in his contract guaranteeing him another year if he played in so many matches and he took up the option. Berardi is under contract too - the only one out of contract is Taylor. Doukara is under contract too having got his contract extended this season.

I was under the impression that the Jansson deal is done but that we don't pay Torino until the end of the season. Jannson signed something so at the very least we'd get compensated if he broke the agreement.
Compensated by who?

I've found the Green extension for a year, but Wiki had the Beradi contract at 3 years starting in 14. So as I say not sure of his current status.
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Sure Berardi signed an extension at some point - have not seen it anywhere that he'd be out of contract. From what I can make of it - although no real facts either way - the Pontus deal is done and we pay £3.5m once the window opens and that Pontus himself has signed and there is no way it can be broken legally. What I meant by compensation would be that if Pontus broke the deal and signed elsewhere we could claim compensation against him as he has signed a deal with us. However whether he has signed something that is completely official etc who knows.
Oscar
First Team
First Team

Post by Oscar »

Turnbull
Taylor
Hernandez
Botaka
The only players out of contract this summer from what i've found.
Plus of course the loan signings: Bartley, Grimes, Sacko, Pedraza and Barrow (if we don't sign any of them permanently)

Pontus according to transfermarkt is our player and contracted until 2020 will officially be moving from Torino to Leeds on 1st July for £3.4 million. I'm 95% sure that will be correct, he can still sign for Southampton etc the only difference is it would be like a standard transfer i.e. we would be able to negotiate a proper transfer fee rather than compensation or Torino receiving the money.
That might not be totally correct but that was my understanding of it anyway.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

We have a 12 month extension option on Pablo so he should be staying which would be good news