So what is the minimum requirement ?

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
paddy parrott
Manager
Manager

Re: So what is the minimum requirement ?

Post by paddy parrott »

Good on You Gessa we live on hope ! We live in hope mate. What a way to Celebrate eh?
gessa

Post by gessa »

paddy parrott wrote:Good on You Gessa we live on hope ! We live in hope mate. What a way to Celebrate eh?
Would be a nice present Paddy.
mav
First Team
First Team

Post by mav »

Minimum requirement is 0 points - but have a better goal diff than Fulham.

I think we need 6 points though, but 9 takes us into the play offs whatever anyone else does.
Every game I predict a 3 - 1 Leeds win, I am traditional like that.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

mav wrote:Minimum requirement is 0 points - but have a better goal diff than Fulham.

I think we need 6 points though, but 9 takes us into the play offs whatever anyone else does.
Winning three consecutive matches could be the stumbling block !
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Cellino & Rad have only themselves to blame !

Us fans could see what was required at Christmas time

It's both agonising and baffling that we didn't shore the team up in January. I fear we will once again live to rue this as history repeats itself. Without promotion to at least bring a semblance of stability, we may lose all we've somehow achieved this season

Remember this topic.....read my initial post

Sadly didn't happen did it :(

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=33831&p=604079&hili ... me#p604068
Durly
First Team
First Team

Post by Durly »

1964white wrote:Cellino & Rad have only themselves to blame !

It's both agonising and baffling that we didn't shore the team up in January. I fear we will once again live to rue this as history repeats itself. Without promotion to at least bring a semblance of stability, we may lose all we've somehow achieved this season

2010/11 Deja vu, mate. We could all see what we needed then as well.
Charity Shield 69
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Charity Shield 69 »

Now the season has got very exciting - hope the players & coaches are excited/motivated by this new challenge which requires a different mentality, as GM notes.

Still in our hands, as recognized by other posters. It's stating the obvious to say that we need to get the wins so that the Wed/Fulham game works for us, not against us.

Who would have thought that such a high points total is potentially needed to make playoffs in this (unlucky for one) 2017 season?
If we qualify we are going to be back on a more successful run of results which could take us all the way to the PL (Promised Land, that is).

Certainly we'll need to continue to rely on our recognized strengths of frugal defence and top striker but it must be topped up by a much more offensive outlook and performance with the ball through the midfield.

Team selection and player deployment is going to be fascinating to watch over these next 6 matches.

I'll go with 78 pts as a minimum qualifying target.

Cheers,
CS69
Cheers,
CS69
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

1964white wrote:Cellino & Rad have only themselves to blame !

The crux of the argument in relation to strengthening the team though was to a) get a back up centreback and b) get a back up striker.

Since then the only time we have changed the centreback pairing was by choice (v Brighton) and the game after where it looked like Cooper was going to start, by choice, even before Pontus's 'injury.' We have also only had Wood miss 1 match. As such the argument for strengthening is irrelevant.

Maybe we could have done with another midfielder bu we already have 4 central midfielders for 2 positions and Monk saw no need o strengthen even sending 2 central midfielders out on loan (Murphy and Dave).
Gurj
Manager
Manager

Post by Gurj »

In terms of team selection, given how Monk spoke after the wolves defeat, I would be amazed if the 2 defensive midfielder strategy continued. I have a feeling that our skipper will be on the bench versus Burton and other than a good display in the first half v Newcastle, its probably the right call as he has been very poor of late. I can see O'Kane coming in from the shadows with Vieira alongside him.

I think, with the shackles being taken off somewhat, we will also see Charlie Taylor regain the left back spot off Berardi as he provides far more going forward than the swiss.

Big question will be the wingers. I think for all he's flaws and detractors, Doukara has been as effective as anyone and he's extra power will help at Burton. I would go with him and Pedraza leaving it as a straight fight between Roofe and Pablo for the No 10 role behind Wood.
LEEDS AND FOREVER PROUD TO BE !!
John in Louisiana
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by John in Louisiana »

1964white wrote:I doubt the season-ticket holders/regular attenders would agree with you Faaip

Not pleasant seeing your team thumped once let alone being battered every other week
Indeed. But I think it may be necessary for a year or so. Without the TV revenue it will be difficult to put together a roster capable of staying in the PL permanently and you don't get that until after you've gone up. That makes the first year in the PL extremely difficult for a team like ours which wasn't relegated recently enough to be receiving parachute payments (as Newcastle are) The parachute payments might be just what's needed to put together a roster capable of not only getting to the PL, but staying there.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

weasel wrote:The crux of the argument in relation to strengthening the team though was to a) get a back up centreback and b) get a back up striker.

Since then the only time we have changed the centreback pairing was by choice (v Brighton) and the game after where it looked like Cooper was going to start, by choice, even before Pontus's 'injury.' We have also only had Wood miss 1 match. As such the argument for strengthening is irrelevant.

Maybe we could have done with another midfielder bu we already have 4 central midfielders for 2 positions and Monk saw no need o strengthen even sending 2 central midfielders out on loan (Murphy and Dave).
Totally disagree with you, my view is not irrelevant

Our players are looking shattered due to no quality back-up allowing our big players to rest. Wood & Pontus have played with slight injuries because of the situation. Also Wood & Pontus have travelled the world on international weekends putting more pressure on their physical well-being, they are not machines !
The CB scenario was always been a potential nightmare as proven with Cooper sent off at Sutton & then given a six match ban after his stamp at Ipswich in 2017. Jansson is sitting on a tightrope with his accumulation of yellow cards, pretty sure he fears mis-timing a tackle/challenge every match he plays, must be playing on his mind !

Three of our back-up defenders Taylor, Coyle & Denton have all suffered serious injuries which has left us somewhat vulnerable

Name me any other club in the championship who operate with just three centre-backs ?

Name me any top ten team that operates with one main striker ?

Why haven't we got a box to box midfielder ?

Why sign two wingers when we already had four players that could play on the flanks ?
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Gurj wrote:In terms of team selection, given how Monk spoke after the wolves defeat, I would be amazed if the 2 defensive midfielder strategy continued. I have a feeling that our skipper will be on the bench versus Burton and other than a good display in the first half v Newcastle, its probably the right call as he has been very poor of late. I can see O'Kane coming in from the shadows with Vieira alongside him.

I think, with the shackles being taken off somewhat, we will also see Charlie Taylor regain the left back spot off Berardi as he provides far more going forward than the swiss.

Big question will be the wingers. I think for all he's flaws and detractors, Doukara has been as effective as anyone and he's extra power will help at Burton. I would go with him and Pedraza leaving it as a straight fight between Roofe and Pablo for the No 10 role behind Wood.
Really disappointed with Liam Bridcutt especially as I thought he would be one of our star men this season, his form has been woeful !

Vieira & Doukara have to start v Burton
mav
First Team
First Team

Post by mav »

Lack of a box to box type midfielder has hurt us I think, bringing in cover would not have helped us I don't think.

As for who to play against Burton I think Dallas wide left with Taylor behind him should be done, with Roofe or the Duke playing as a striker along side Wood.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

1964white wrote:Totally disagree with you, my view is not irrelevant

Our players are looking shattered due to no quality back-up allowing our big players to rest. Wood & Pontus have played with slight injuries because of the situation. Also Wood & Pontus have travelled the world on international weekends putting more pressure on their physical well-being, they are not machines !
The CB scenario was always been a potential nightmare as proven with Cooper sent off at Sutton & then given a six match ban after his stamp at Ipswich in 2017. Jansson is sitting on a tightrope with his accumulation of yellow cards, pretty sure he fears mis-timing a tackle/challenge every match he plays, must be playing on his mind !

Three of our back-up defenders Taylor, Coyle & Denton have all suffered serious injuries which has left us somewhat vulnerable

Name me any other club in the championship who operate with just three centre-backs ?

Name me any top ten team that operates with one main striker ?

Why haven't we got a box to box midfielder ?

Why sign two wingers when we already had four players that could play on the flanks ?
The formation we play is with 1 striker - as such bringing in a striker to just play matches after Wood has been on international duty isn't really going to appeal to anyone that is looking to go out on loan cos they aren't playing. The main target seemed to be Fletcher as he could play up front and also out wide meaning he would cover Wood but also be able to keep match fit by getting time on the wing too. Due to the criteria above it is hardly like there would have been many available options that would be a better option than Doukara (fill in for Wood, occasionally get a start out wide, and sometimes come off the bench as more of a second striker or give Wood a breather if the game was won).

Likewise how many centrebacks of decent quality would come to simply be back up to Pontus? Given that Pontus is just on the fringes of the Swedish national team there was also no guarantee that Pontus would play when away on international duty (he did the last 2 games as the first choice centreback is out injured). I agree with you that it might affect Pontus's game in relation to not getting booked but I think that only came into play in the last match as he now has no margin for error. I certainly didn't see him shirking anything against Newcastle.

Saying what we need and being able to get what we needed are two completely different things and I doubt anyone fit the bill for the back-up centreback in quite the same way that Fletcher would have fit the requirements up front - and West Ham waited until the last day before deciding they weren't loaning him.

I agree with you in that we could have done with getting them in but don't see it as having made any difference yet as we haven't lost either player for a lengthy period.
mav
First Team
First Team

Post by mav »

2 wins and some luck now required.

Until it can't happen, I will have hope.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

mav wrote:2 wins and some luck now required.

Until it can't happen, I will have hope.
If you had witnessed how we've played generally apart from the TV games v Derby & Brighton you'd give us no chance. Our players reaction at the end at Burton says it all !

Roll on next season in the championship
Gurj
Manager
Manager

Post by Gurj »

That's the sad part of all this, a lot of us now have a lot less confidence in us pulling off two back to back wins than we have of the prospect of Wednesday/Fulham/Hudds slipping.

I honestly thought we would have gone for it far more than we did on Saturday. Not saying the commitment wasnt there but to have so few shots at their goal is extremely disappointing. As I suspected and advised on here some weeks ago, I think many of our players are mentally and physically shot. The lack of depth compared to say the Sheff Wednesday squad is glaringly obvious. This is where we badly needed say a Hooper who has hardly started for them all season to pop up and score a winner. We just dont have anyone of that quality sitting and waiting, with all due respect to Antonnson.
LEEDS AND FOREVER PROUD TO BE !!
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

1964white wrote:If you had witnessed how we've played generally apart from the TV games v Derby & Brighton you'd give us no chance. Our players reaction at the end at Burton says it all !

Roll on next season in the championship
What was their reaction 64?
1964white

Post by 1964white »

whiteswan wrote:What was their reaction 64?
I actually applauded the three players who came to the Leeds end.

Pontus & Ayling appeared very upset, can't understand fans booing them.

I generally give a muted applause although there are times when I've just stood there with my hands in my pockets. To be honest I wasn't too disappointed as I half anticipated another poor performance before the game kicked-off, I had resigned myself to the fact that our season was over after the disappointing Wolves home defeat
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Gurj wrote:That's the sad part of all this, a lot of us now have a lot less confidence in us pulling off two back to back wins than we have of the prospect of Wednesday/Fulham/Hudds slipping.

I honestly thought we would have gone for it far more than we did on Saturday. Not saying the commitment wasnt there but to have so few shots at their goal is extremely disappointing. As I suspected and advised on here some weeks ago, I think many of our players are mentally and physically shot. The lack of depth compared to say the Sheff Wednesday squad is glaringly obvious This is where we badly needed say a Hooper who has hardly started for them all season to pop up and score a winner. We just dont have anyone of that quality sitting and waiting, with all due respect to Antonnson.
Bang on Gurj :tup:

The board are to blame for our demise which is nothing unusual in world of Leeds United