ER attendances

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

ER attendances

Post by 1964white »

637,053 fans came through the turnstiles at Elland Road this season with an average crowd of 27,698.

The last time this was bettered was back in the 2004/5 season when our average was 29,207. Some fanatics probably were mad enough to think the championship would be a doddle :lol: 1000's soon realised it was crap football especially with the price of tickets Bates was charging to watch 2nd tier football :(

Do we imagine with Rads expected takeover to complete in the next 10 days, that our average attendance will better this?

Elland Road enjoyed their very first sell out in six years with the visit of Newcastle last November. Similarly home tickets were also sold out for home fixtures against Villa, the Wendies and Norwich City.

Full Table
1. Newcastle United 51,106
2. Aston Villa 32,107
3. Derby County 29,042
4. Brighton and Hove Albion 27,966
5. Leeds United 27,698
6. Sheffield Wednesday 27,129
7. Norwich City 26,354
8. Wolverhampton Wanderers 21,570
9. Huddersfield Town 20,343
10. Nottingham Forest 20,333
11. Bristol City 19,526
12. Fulham 19,199
13. Birmingham City 18,717
14. Reading 17,505
15. Ipswich Town 16,981
16. Cardiff City 16,584
17. Queens Park Rangers 14,616
18. Barnsley 13,831
19. Blackburn Rovers 12,688
20. Preston North End 12,607
21. Wigan Athletic 11,722
22. Brentford 10,467
23. Rotherham United 9,783
24. Burton Albion 5,288
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Re: ER attendances

Post by weasel »

Interesting that Brighton, who I am sure many would consider a small club, had a higher attendance than us. I would hope that attendances would continue to rise although likely it will depend on how well we are doing o the pitch as this season attendances rose as we climbed the table.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

weasel wrote:Interesting that Brighton, who I am sure many would consider a small club, had a higher attendance than us. I would hope that attendances would continue to rise although likely it will depend on how well we are doing o the pitch as this season attendances rose as we climbed the table.
The likes of Newcastle, Brighton, Derby & Norwich have a very localised fanbase with little competition. Leeds fans are spread all over the globe, there were fans from Bournemouth & Southampton at the Wigan game. I also heard several Irish accents in the beer garden before the game

Leeds Rhinos regularly attract 15k+ at Headingley

Surprise for me is both Sheffield & Villa have two clubs in their city. The blunts have attracted 20k+ crowds so that's nearly 50,000 fans from the Steel city have been attending games, probably similar figures with Brum & Villa combined
Gurj
Manager
Manager

Post by Gurj »

Brighton and many other clubs support has surged thanks to the ' new stadium phenomenon ". There were not pulling these kind of crowds even in their heyday.

Villa are, despite their slump, and always will be a genuinely big club who will remain near the top of the attendance leagues on a regular basis.
LEEDS AND FOREVER PROUD TO BE !!
MissSurreyWhite
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by MissSurreyWhite »

Good point about the New Stadium Phenomenon.
Would be great to get back in the Prem and have a rebuild. ER is looking tired.
Crude
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Crude »

With MC nearly gone, that means all the TTGM 'friends' who boycotted the club will have step up and put their money where their mouth is. Or find something else to whine about and stay away, while slating everyone else.
RIP Twiggster, March 5, 2023

Chris & Kevin | Never Forgotten | April 5, 2000

Gary Andrew Speed, MBE — Always In Our Hearts, 1969-2011
Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Norm »

Crude wrote:
With MC nearly gone, that means all the TTGM 'friends' who boycotted the club will have step up and put their money where their mouth is. Or find something else to whine about and stay away, while slating everyone else.
Their mouths would sound better from their pockets.
Gurj
Manager
Manager

Post by Gurj »

MissSurreyWhite wrote:Good point about the New Stadium Phenomenon.
Would be great to get back in the Prem and have a rebuild. ER is looking tired.
My heart would never want us to leave ER or indeed rebuild it like Spurs are basically doing at WHL.

But my head agree's with you. ER does look very antiquated ( West stand is horrendously 19th century like ) and the groun in general is a pale shadow of its former self. But then again, these new stadia do lose a lot of the atmosphere generated by the old grounds. You can tell how torn I am about this debate lol. Lets get in the prem first and then worry about it I guess !
LEEDS AND FOREVER PROUD TO BE !!
lufc1304
Superstar
Superstar
Twitter: @DrGonzo2411

Post by lufc1304 »

If we had the choice, and the club had the money, I'd like to see us tart up ER much in the same way as Liverpool are doing at Anfield. Best of both worlds; we retain our spiritual home, and fans get modern facilities
"When the going gets weird, the weird get professional!" Hunter S Thompson
1964white

Post by 1964white »

lufc1304 wrote:If we had the choice, and the club had the money, I'd like to see us tart up ER much in the same way as Liverpool are doing at Anfield. Best of both worlds; we retain our spiritual home, and fans get modern facilities
Newcastle have done the same.

Anfield was a magical experience this season although much of the atmosphere was created in the Leeds end
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

lufc1304 wrote:If we had the choice, and the club had the money, I'd like to see us tart up ER much in the same way as Liverpool are doing at Anfield. Best of both worlds; we retain our spiritual home, and fans get modern facilities
Would agree with this as the stadium is a bit of an eyesore with 4 different styles of main stands and patched up bits for the corners.

I don't see AR as the type of buisnessman who will be happy to keep paying rent for ER so I think he will either repurchase or build a new stadium dependant on which makes more financial sense. Given the cost of re-acquiring ER and TA I wouldn't be surprised to see the club head to pastures new and build a stadium and training complex all in one.
lufc1304
Superstar
Superstar
Twitter: @DrGonzo2411

Post by lufc1304 »

weasel wrote:Would agree with this as the stadium is a bit of an eyesore with 4 different styles of main stands and patched up bits for the corners.

I don't see AR as the type of buisnessman who will be happy to keep paying rent for ER so I think he will either repurchase or build a new stadium dependant on which makes more financial sense. Given the cost of re-acquiring ER and TA I wouldn't be surprised to see the club head to pastures new and build a stadium and training complex all in one.
The most likely scenario, mate
"When the going gets weird, the weird get professional!" Hunter S Thompson
rich_leeds64
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @richleeds64

Post by rich_leeds64 »

If we get a good start to our 17/18 season then there's no reason why we won't have regular sell outs. A lot will depend on next seasons ticket prices and if they stop the stupid £5 on the day increase that would encourage more casual supporters to turn up. With the likes of Sunderland, Boro, Villa Sheff U, then there's possibly Huddersfield, Bradford and the Wendies we should get some cracking gates for those games