Why can't we find a Marcus Rashford

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Why can't we find a Marcus Rashford

Post by whiteswan »

What a brilliant you player this boy is. Why can't we bring a striker through the ranks?
MissSurreyWhite
Youth Team
Youth Team

Re: Why can't we find a Marcus Rashford

Post by MissSurreyWhite »

Because the big clubs poach them through the Academies when they are young.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

That is the trouble, the best young prospects are poached away many years before they reach the first team and even when teams are found guilty of illegally poaching young players the punishments are simply token slaps on the wrist.

Can't ever rememeber Leeds producing a prolific young striker, certainly not in my lifetime. Alan Smith and Noel Whelan being the only strikers to have made any impression at Premier League level and neither were prolific.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

whiteswan wrote:What a brilliant you player this boy is. Why can't we bring a striker through the ranks?
Fantastic player, we've never produced a striker as good as him, the lad has got everything in his locker !
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Post by HarryofOz »

To be fair - how often does any club unearth a Rashford.

I think our youth system has produced quality players over the years. Maybe not elite players but certainly good ones.
Un Marcelo Bielsa, solo hay un Marcelo Bielsa. Gracias Marcello. Marsching on together.
YorkshireSquare
Administrator
Administrator
Twitter: @motforum

Post by YorkshireSquare »

weasel wrote:That is the trouble, the best young prospects are poached away many years before they reach the first team and even when teams are found guilty of illegally poaching young players the punishments are simply token slaps on the wrist.

Can't ever rememeber Leeds producing a prolific young striker, certainly not in my lifetime. Alan Smith and Noel Whelan being the only strikers to have made any impression at Premier League level and neither were prolific.
Our academy produced an international level striker...... Warren Feeney!
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Shields53 wrote:Our academy produced an international level striker...... Warren Feeney!

:roflmao:
MissSurreyWhite
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by MissSurreyWhite »

weasel wrote:That is the trouble, the best young prospects are poached away many years before they reach the first team and even when teams are found guilty of illegally poaching young players the punishments are simply token slaps on the wrist.

Both my boys were at the Reading Academy for a few years. There was a boy above my eldest sons age group (Josh Barratt) who was scoring lots. The money and 'lures' Chelsea were offering were staggering. Reading only hung onto him because they got Category 'A' Academy rating which prevented their best players getting poached.

Josh made his debut for Reading first team last year (now a converted midfielder).