NHS Cyber Attack

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

NHS Cyber Attack

Post by 1964white »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-39906019

Political organisation or a spotty little urchin ?

Whoever are responsible are mindless tw*ts
rich_leeds64
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @richleeds64

Re: NHS Cyber Attack

Post by rich_leeds64 »

Whoever it is, it's worrying that they can hack into virtually anything, as I understand it wasn't just the NHS but had a worldwide effect in several countries.I work in the telecomms industry and get bombarded with security alerts on a daily basis about possible threats to our systems so there's probably lots of individuals/groups who spend their time trying to do this type of thing. The thought of some terror group being able to do this doesn't bear thinking about.
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Post by HarryofOz »

A world wide cyber hack, supposedly with the aid of supposedly using tools stolen from the NSA.
Un Marcelo Bielsa, solo hay un Marcelo Bielsa. Gracias Marcello. Marsching on together.
YorkshireSquare
Administrator
Administrator
Twitter: @motforum

Post by YorkshireSquare »

Was a WCry (WannaCry/WanaCrypt0r) Ransomware attack, taking advantage of a known exploit in Windows 8.1 and below. Companies and organisations if over 90 countries affected. Telefonica also affected I hear. Infection likely happened via someone clicking in a link within a phishing email.

Can affect anyone running unpatched Windows OS but the fact that the NHS are still running Windows XP, an unsupported OS is a bit worrying.
Ratscoot
Manager
Manager

Post by Ratscoot »

Shields53 wrote:Was a WCry (WannaCry/WanaCrypt0r) Ransomware attack, taking advantage of a known exploit in Windows 8.1 and below. Companies and organisations if over 90 countries affected. Telefonica also affected I hear. Infection likely happened via someone clicking in a link within a phishing email.

Can affect anyone running unpatched Windows OS but the fact that the NHS are still running Windows XP, an unsupported OS is a bit worrying.
NHS not the only public owned group still using XP I know of a number XP machines running systems on our railways, luckily none of them safety critical
A bumble bee under the laws of physics shouldnt be able to fly, but it does because no one has told it that it can't
YorkshireSquare
Administrator
Administrator
Twitter: @motforum

Post by YorkshireSquare »

Ratscoot wrote:NHS not the only public owned group still using XP I know of a number XP machines running systems on our railways, luckily none of them safety critical
At work we are going through an audit. To bid on government work we musn't be running any unsupported OS and every machine must have a patch level within 3 months. Seems crazy the government don't meet the standards they demand from their contractors.
lufc1304
Superstar
Superstar
Twitter: @DrGonzo2411

Post by lufc1304 »

Tories wouldn't fund a software upgrade for £5.5m, but can find £200bn for Trident. Draw your own conclusions
"When the going gets weird, the weird get professional!" Hunter S Thompson
Haighy
First Team
First Team

Post by Haighy »

Apparently Nissan in Sunderland closed due to a cyber attack ....ffs.
Ronan
Manager
Manager

Post by Ronan »

lufc1304 wrote:Tories wouldn't fund a software upgrade for £5.5m, but can find £200bn for Trident. Draw your own conclusions
Subtly put Nick :tup:

We are currently "upgrading" to Windows 10 in work...but very slowy...i am still on Windows 7 on my PC...will be interesting to see if we have any problems when we all get in on Monday morning.

Running Lubuntu operating system here ....feel much safer with Linux...tends to be less virus prone.

Though i seem to have been hit with bloody William Hill Ads to the keft and right of my screen on this site.... :duno:
Most plagiarists, like the drone, have neither taste to select, industry to acquire, nor skill to improve, but impudently pilfer the honey ready prepared, from the hive......
barryanorak
Manager
Manager

Post by barryanorak »

lufc1304 wrote:Tories wouldn't fund a software upgrade for £5.5m, but can find £200bn for Trident. Draw your own conclusions

Spend the 5.5million to upgrade the remaining 4.7% of NHS computers that run on XP and disable huge swathes of the NHS, because the computers they link to, outwith the NHS, are also running outdated software...

If I remember correctly, all submarines in the Royal Navy run XP because it was a stable platform and so old that hackers were no longer interested. Maybe a nuclear equipped submarine isn't the best thing to be hacked...maybe they should consider upgrading it? :wink:

The fact that 200,000 operating systems were affected, in 190 countries really does emphasise that the NHS was not the target of this attack.
Music so wishes to be heard that it sometimes calls on unlikely characters to give it voice...

lufc1304
Superstar
Superstar
Twitter: @DrGonzo2411

Post by lufc1304 »

barryanorak wrote:Spend the 5.5million to upgrade the remaining 4.7% of NHS computers that run on XP and disable huge swathes of the NHS, because the computers they link to, outwith the NHS, are also running outdated software...

If I remember correctly, all submarines in the Royal Navy run XP because it was a stable platform and so old that hackers were no longer interested. Maybe a nuclear equipped submarine isn't the best thing to be hacked...maybe they should consider upgrading it? :wink:

The fact that 200,000 operating systems were affected, in 190 countries really does emphasise that the NHS was not the target of this attack.
I never suggested it was, Barry, I was pointing out that had the NHS' systems been updated in 2015 (as reported), they may not have been as susceptible to attack. I was unaware that a lot of systems external to the NHS are also outdated, sounds like the whole thing's a bit of a mess, tbh
"When the going gets weird, the weird get professional!" Hunter S Thompson
barryanorak
Manager
Manager

Post by barryanorak »

It's all a mess...

And all because some irritating twonk with a budget laptop felt like making some 'easy money'...
Music so wishes to be heard that it sometimes calls on unlikely characters to give it voice...

mav
First Team
First Team

Post by mav »

What should happen with the NHS.....................

Run on a NHS only WAN, with zero internet access.
Run a bespoke version of Linux - developed for the NHS.
All records should be held centrally - with Hospitals running essentially linked/client DB's.
All IT services should be back in house (IT companies make oodles of cash from the NHS and are, as a rule, s**t.
Any PC's requiring internet access in any part of the NHS would HAVE to be on separate physical networks rather than just VLANS.

Not cheap, nor easy, but I would imagine payback would take 10 - 15 years and would result in a much more stable, better health service.

(I have worked for the NHS as part of an IT team, so I do have some knowledge)
Every game I predict a 3 - 1 Leeds win, I am traditional like that.
Crude
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Crude »

Here in the US, UPS sent home something like 600k workers when computers went down. Apparently they got things back up again for the next shift. A friend who is high-up in the IT department of a major auto parts company was working all weekend to make sure things didn't go tits up. Think they made it through unscathed, but it was the biggest cyber attack he's ever seen in 30 years in the business. Crazy.
RIP Twiggster, March 5, 2023

Chris & Kevin | Never Forgotten | April 5, 2000

Gary Andrew Speed, MBE — Always In Our Hearts, 1969-2011
Gandalf
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Gandalf »

mav wrote:What should happen with the NHS.....................

Run on a NHS only WAN, with zero internet access.
Run a bespoke version of Linux - developed for the NHS.
All records should be held centrally - with Hospitals running essentially linked/client DB's.
All IT services should be back in house (IT companies make oodles of cash from the NHS and are, as a rule, s**t.
Any PC's requiring internet access in any part of the NHS would HAVE to be on separate physical networks rather than just VLANS.

Not cheap, nor easy, but I would imagine payback would take 10 - 15 years and would result in a much more stable, better health service.

(I have worked for the NHS as part of an IT team, so I do have some knowledge)
Or, you could save the NHS a s**t load of money, and just install the patch that Microsoft sent out on the 14th March. There was a reason why not all NHS sites and systems were affected. By the way, you have just used Corbyn's £35 Billion in one fell swoop.
Delapsus Resurgam - When I fall I shall rise!
mav
First Team
First Team

Post by mav »

Gandalf wrote:Or, you could save the NHS a s**t load of money, and just install the patch that Microsoft sent out on the 14th March. There was a reason why not all NHS sites and systems were affected. By the way, you have just used Corbyn's £35 Billion in one fell swoop.

Except, that would only delay things, while they are running out dated software that is on internet enabled networks it is always just a matter of time.
Every game I predict a 3 - 1 Leeds win, I am traditional like that.