Monday's Breakfast Debate - Next Season

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Monday's Breakfast Debate - Next Season

Post by 1964white »

Good Morning Everyone,

Hull City will join Boro and Sunderland in the Championship next season.

They will be joined by the Blunts and Bolton who came up automatically from league 1.

In total there could be 8 Yorkshire (or thereabouts) teams in the Championship next season.

Leeds

Hull

Blunts

Wendies

Dog botherers

Bantams or the Wall

Boro

Let's not forget Derby, Norwich and Villa will all be in the mix !

Will this make it a harder or an easier league next season?
Ratscoot
Manager
Manager

Re: Monday's Breakfast Debate - Next Season

Post by Ratscoot »

1964white wrote:Good Morning Everyone,

Hull City will join Boro and Sunderland in the Championship next season.

They will be joined by the Blunts and Bolton who came up automatically from league 1.

In total there could be 8 Yorkshire (or thereabouts) teams in the Championship next season.

Leeds

Hull

Blunts

Wendies

Dog botherers

Wendies

Bantams or the Wall

Boro

Let's not forget Derby, Norwich and Villa will all be in the mix !

Will this make it a harder or an easier league next season?
Agree Leon but I think it will be even harder with the Wendies having two teams in the league :roflmao:
A bumble bee under the laws of physics shouldnt be able to fly, but it does because no one has told it that it can't
1964white

Post by 1964white »

In most fans eyes on here Newcastle & Brighton were touted as champions & runners-up from day one leaving only one promotion place available for the rest.

Sunderland, Hull & Boro relegated from the prem will no doubt be competitive however don't scare me so I reckon as long as we maintain stability at ER during the summer we have a much better chance of nicking a promotion place next term

Personally I & travelling fans love derbies, plenty of short journey's too. Looking forward to it all already :-D
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Ratscoot wrote:Agree Leon but I think it will be even harder with the Wendies having two teams in the league :roflmao:
Amended mate :lol:

Wendies reserves would have been a doddle :roflmao:
lufc1304
Superstar
Superstar
Twitter: @DrGonzo2411

Post by lufc1304 »

There's always talk about how difficult the league will be next season at the end of every campaign, but it often isn't borne out. Newcastle were, along with Burnley, only the second club to bounce straight back after relegation in the last 10 years (IIRC). The championship is, for me, the toughest league in Europe. That's not going to change, but I don't see it being any more difficult to attain promotion next year as it was this. Most fans could see Brighton and Geordies were nailed on, not convinced there'll be overwhelming favourites for promotion next season. As Leon says, if we get our own house in order over the summer, then we shouldn't fear anyone. We only just fell short this year with a squad that patently wasn't good enough; invest well, and we'll be in the mix
"When the going gets weird, the weird get professional!" Hunter S Thompson
NorfolkWhite
Manager
Manager

Post by NorfolkWhite »

Can't see any of the teams that came down being as strong as Newcastle - all 3 seem a bit in disarray really and more akin to Villa this season. As for teams already here, Villa will probably have regrouped somewhat and will no doubt strengthen. Teams that miss out in playoffs I don't see doing as well as Brighton did this year next campaign. All in all if we have a good close season and show some intent I don't see why we can't push on from this season.
Gandalf
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Gandalf »

Not worried about the teams coming down but I am worried about the number of local derbies, where we notoriously underperform, and the opposition produces their best performances of the season against us.
Delapsus Resurgam - When I fall I shall rise!
MissSurreyWhite
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by MissSurreyWhite »

I agree with Gandalf - its the number of local derbies. Others will be playing extra hard against us. Will be tough for any Yorkshire club next year because of this.
Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Norm »

Gandi's right - we do seem to get caned by our Yorkshire rivals, even if we did the double over the wendies this last season.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Maybe if we strengthen our squad with better class players we'll have a team that can cope with the pressures of local derbies. I think some of you are forgetting we beat three of our four Yorkshire rivals last season :

Sheff Wed x 2
Rotherham x 2
Barnsley x 1

Yes the dog botherers caught us with our tails between our legs & the tykes had their game of 2017 v us but it wasn't as bad as it seemed with Leeds collecting 15 out of the 24 points available
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

MissSurreyWhite wrote:I agree with Gandalf - its the number of local derbies. Others will be playing extra hard against us. Will be tough for any Yorkshire club next year because of this.
Me too. I've said before that for me personally I would prefer non Yorkshire clubs in the Championship for the reasons above. But I also understand where our local away supporters are coming from, not so far to travel etc.
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

But, a conundrum for me.....another Yorkshire team Bradford....or the very dreadful Millwall. So who would we prefer?
1964white

Post by 1964white »

whiteswan wrote:Me too. I've said before that for me personally I would prefer non Yorkshire clubs in the Championship for the reasons above. But I also understand where our local away supporters are coming from, not so far to travel etc.
If we want to become a premiership club we have to learn to cope with the local derbies just as the Mancs/Liverpool/London clubs do my dear Swan
1964white

Post by 1964white »

whiteswan wrote:But, a conundrum for me.....another Yorkshire team Bradford....or the very dreadful Millwall. So who would we prefer?
Bradford for me, two big crowds at ER & Valley Parade as oppose to Millwall's poxy den who I don't want anywhere near the championship, too close for comfort now !
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

1964white wrote:If we want to become a premiership club we have to learn to cope with the local derbies just as the Mancs/Liverpool/London clubs do my dear Swan
Aye I know. It just seems as though half the ruddy Championship will be Yorkies :(
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

1964white wrote:Bradford for me, two big crowds at ER & Valley Parade as oppose to Millwall's poxy den who I don't want anywhere near the championship, too close for comfort now !
Think I agree with you 64. We don't want Millscum anywhere near us!
MissSurreyWhite
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by MissSurreyWhite »

Bradford every time. Can't stand Millwall in any shape or form.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

I definitely feel that Newcastle and Brighton were better sides than what we'd expect to see from Boro, Sunderland or Hull. Last year I was confident Villa wouldn't be in the promotion mix given how little fight they had shown when they were relegated and I felt they'd need a whole new team and time to gel. Sunderland I feel will be the same as Vila were. Hull have been a bit of a shambles of the field and did better than I expected in the fight they put up but they need new players and I don't see them splashing the cash. Boro were knocking on the door a few times before they got promoted so should be the best of the relegated teams but some of the players that helped them to promotion will have been replaced and either left or been second choice. Likewise their promotion winning manager has gone so they probably won't be as good as they were 2 seasons ago. The promoted teams shouldn't be causing us problems but of course they will as they will be fired up yorkshire derbies, we just have to deal with that but we play so many derbies that it shouldn't make much difference. I would expect Norwich to be stronger and maybe have them as favourites to win the league. That said they aren't anything amazing. The teams that fail in the play-offs will be interesting. Huddersfield hit the jackpot with their loan signings this season and if they don't go up then you would think it is unlikely they'd be able to get those players again be it loan or permanent signings so they may drop down into mid table again. Sheff Wed keep banging on the door but whilst I would expect them to be up and around the play-offs I saw nothing amazing in them. Reading seemed to just keep pulling results out when they needed them despite looking awful a lot of the time and getting some right good beatings. As such Fulham would probably be the ones I would fear most if they stayed in the division as they really have got their act together - however if they don't go up then the vultures will be after their better players.

All in all I think next season the quality of opposition is poorer but the crux of the matter is if we get our house in order, get Monk re-appointed quickly and can keep the likes of Wood, Bartley and Jannson or replace them with players of a similar standard.
Oscar
First Team
First Team

Post by Oscar »

Personally I really can't see any teams other than Norwich (only if they make a good managerial appointment) winning over 90 points over next season. Which in theory makes it easier for us next season, we have still got to make signings otherwise we won't finish higher than 7th again (most likely much lower than this) unless Monk can work another miracle like he has this season. If we do make 3-4 quality signings (2 wingers, box to box midfielder) with the addition of a good second choice striker option and maybe one or two lesser quality squad players, I think we have a real chance of automatic.

We only need to spend serious money on 3 players imo, convinced either of these two teams would get us promoted next season:
Green, Ayling, Bartley, Pontus, Berardi, Bridcutt, (new midfielder), (new winger), Hernandez, (new winger), Wood
Or alternatively in the big games:
Green, Ayling, Bartley, Pontus, Berardi, Bridcutt, O'Kane/Viera, (new winger), (new attacking midfielder), (new winger), Wood
In the games like Norwich (away) I really do think we need a player with more tactical discipline than Pablo playing in the number 10 role.

Out of the teams going down only Middlesbrough (if they bring in a good manager) will have a realistic chance of automatic imo.