We Came Bottom....

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

We Came Bottom....

Post by 1964white »

Just goes to show how poor our youth set-up is, it's not as if we are playing against premiership youngsters
Screenshot 2017-05-18 at 10.32.16.png
mav
First Team
First Team

Re: We Came Bottom....

Post by mav »

as our average squad age is 25, I am not sure it is a problem.....
Every game I predict a 3 - 1 Leeds win, I am traditional like that.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

mav wrote:as our average squad age is 25, I am not sure it is a problem.....
For a city the size of Leeds situated in the largest county in Britain I would suggest it is a problem if we are not picking up on some of the cream in our local area
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Although one could argue that we are a victim of our success as surely the team would have done much better with the likes of Cook, Phillips, Vieira, Peacock-Farrell all playing as well. Also worth noting that our FA Youth Cup winning side of years back didn't produce a single player that became a star so youth success doesn't guarantee anything.
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

1964white wrote:For a city the size of Leeds situated in the largest county in Britain I would suggest it is a problem if we are not picking up on some of the cream in our local area
I do agree with you 64. I said as much last week when I asked the question why can't we find a Marcus Rashford. I don't expect us to unveil a whole team but yes, the odd gem coming through ought to be a possibility
mav
First Team
First Team

Post by mav »

1964white wrote:For a city the size of Leeds situated in the largest county in Britain I would suggest it is a problem if we are not picking up on some of the cream in our local area

Sacko, Roofe, Viera, Philips, Taylor, Barrow, Coyle, Denton, Grimes, Pedrazza all would have qualified for this squad, as they were in the first team (some more often than others) squad I am not sure it is an issue.
Every game I predict a 3 - 1 Leeds win, I am traditional like that.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

mav wrote:Sacko, Roofe, Viera, Philips, Taylor, Barrow, Coyle, Denton, Grimes, Pedrazza all would have qualified for this squad, as they were in the first team (some more often than others) squad I am not sure it is an issue.
We were bottom to a group of ordinary teams. Two played in League 1 & Crewe in League 2. Two of the championship teams were in a relegation battle

And that isn't an issue :shock:

Only two of those players you mentioned were good enough to play in our first team, god knows how poor they performed in the U23 matches

Having a poor midfield & no decent back-up players says it all & are probably the two main reasons why we missed out on the a top six place
paddy parrott
Manager
Manager

Post by paddy parrott »

Sad really '64 but sign o 'times to a degree with the rugby league and so forth. Though Leeds United aren't capable anymore in monetary terms as was proven many times . Though you are right a big club with pedigree and that's Leeds for a long time should be better at underage. The club is set back a long way giving the huge fall and are light years now behind Manchester , London and probably Liverpool to name a few.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

whiteswan wrote:I do agree with you 64. I said as much last week when I asked the question why can't we find a Marcus Rashford. I don't expect us to unveil a whole team but yes, the odd gem coming through ought to be a possibility
Glad I'm not the only one to think like this Swan

Revie will be turning in his grave. He always insisted a club needs to be run efficiently from the top management right down to the tea-lady

We are bottom of that table because of a lack of decent resources

Our fans accept & big up average players where as the cream are plying their trade elsewhere
Gurj
Manager
Manager

Post by Gurj »

Redfearn was doing a great job with the Academy few years back.......wonder if/when Cellino is gone, he would ever return in that role ( he has only been doing radio work recently ) or have we burnt our bridges given what transpired with him and also he's partner.
LEEDS AND FOREVER PROUD TO BE !!
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

Gurj wrote:Redfearn was doing a great job with the Academy few years back.......wonder if/when Cellino is gone, he would ever return in that role ( he has only been doing radio work recently ) or have we burnt our bridges given what transpired with him and also he's partner.
Very good point Gurj. Redfearn had the respect of the academy kids and most of the folks at Elland Road, including the senior players. Like you, not sure if we burnt our bridges.....although I don't think his partner helped matters.
liggy
First Team
First Team

Post by liggy »

Well first of all I'm not surprised that moggy would mention local cream.
That table is a shocker tho
Crikey look at Southampton's youth setup envy of every top team :bear:
1964white

Post by 1964white »

liggy wrote:Well first of all I'm not surprised that moggy would mention local cream.
That table is a shocker tho
Crikey look at Southampton's youth setup envy of every top team :bear:
Yep the Saints have been producing decent young players since before our League One days & have continued to do so in the last ten years, a treadmill of superb talent to compete with the prem's best

We do have Kalvin Phillips in our ranks :roll:
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

We have produced a steady stream such as Byram, Mowatt, Cook, Taylor, Phillips, Vieira and before that the likes of Howson and Delph. However we have also had various players poached from us before they got anywhere near the first team, the likes of Garbutt at Everton, a couple of lads to Chelsea and Danny Rose at Tottenham. Add those and our youth production has been decent rather than spectacular.

Too easy to say that because we finished bottom all the players are sh*t. We may have had 16 year olds playing in an under 23 league for example and as such they would struggle. Likewise if we had 8 good players and 3 sh*t ones then the team would struggle.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

weasel wrote:We have produced a steady stream such as Byram, Mowatt, Cook, Taylor, Phillips, Vieira and before that the likes of Howson and Delph. However we have also had various players poached from us before they got anywhere near the first team, the likes of Garbutt at Everton, a couple of lads to Chelsea and Danny Rose at Tottenham. Add those and our youth production has been decent rather than spectacular.

Too easy to say that because we finished bottom all the players are sh*t. We may have had 16 year olds playing in an under 23 league for example and as such they would struggle. Likewise if we had 8 good players and 3 sh*t ones then the team would struggle.
Howson, Delph plus add Lennon & Milner was an awful long time ago who are all better than those who you mentioned in your first line

Byram, Cook, Taylor & Vieira haven't proved nothing of note at the highest level yet. Mowatt is playing his football at Barnsley

Phillips can't even pass a ball so I can't see him progressing far !
liggy
First Team
First Team

Post by liggy »

Agree weasel it's too simple to say that.
But a good coach wouldn't throw 16 year olds in with the big lads,
Because it can destroy them easily,
Unless they're like an Edwards or a Bale
Maybe we should look at Cardiff civil service
Like Southampton did.!!
liggy
First Team
First Team

Post by liggy »

Anyhoo good coaches no when to throw a baby in
Sheff u knew young William Foulke could handle it & he went on to play for England
1964white

Post by 1964white »

liggy wrote:Anyhoo good coaches no when to throw a baby in
Sheff u knew young William Foulke could handle it & he went on to play for England
My god he was a big lad :shock:
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Chris Dawson released by Rotherham

Another Leeds academy player overrated by our fans