Friday's Breakfast Debate......

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Friday's Breakfast Debate......

Post by 1964white »

Leeds expect Jansson's permanent 3 year transfer to be rubber sealed by July.
Surely, this means that assurances have been given to the player!

Does this mean Monk is definitely staying?

There are said to be 4 Premier league clubs ready to bid 20m for Chis Wood.

Good value for money or too good to be true?

If money were to be reinvested, should Leeds accept?
gessa

Re: Friday's Breakfast Debate......

Post by gessa »

1964white wrote:Leeds expect Jansson's permanent 3 year transfer to be rubber sealed by July.
Surely, this means that assurances have been given to the player!

Does this mean Monk is definitely staying?

There are said to be 4 Premier league clubs ready to bid 20m for Chis Wood.

Good value for money or too good to be true?

If money were to be reinvested, should Leeds accept?
I believe Monk will be our manager next season.

I don't believe any team will offer £20m for Wood , offers yes, but not for that amount. I don't think Wood will have another season like last season again, if it were to be £20m and the money was spent solely on team building then I'd take it.
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Post by HarryofOz »

Monk will most likely be there, not sure if that's a decisive factor in Jansson's decision making

I can't see anyone in the Premier League offering 20 million for Wood. A well-funded Championship team who believe that his goals will make the key difference between getting promoted or not mad be prepared to do so.

Should we take it if offered? If every penny was to be used to strengthen the team in key positions - and we'll need a couple of strikers, then yes. Twenty million is a lot of money for a striker who has really only had one good season in his career, albeit that you could argue that he is now approaching his peak time.
Un Marcelo Bielsa, solo hay un Marcelo Bielsa. Gracias Marcello. Marsching on together.
mav
First Team
First Team

Post by mav »

I would refuse to listen to bids for Wood, last season may have been his best ever but he is still a 20 goal a season striker.
Every game I predict a 3 - 1 Leeds win, I am traditional like that.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Surely Monk will be given a deserved contract

As for Wood.....a club with ambition should not be talking about selling its best asset.
lufc1304
Superstar
Superstar
Twitter: @DrGonzo2411

Post by lufc1304 »

Monk will be our manager next season

£20m is mad money for Wood. Don't believe anyone would pay that but, if they were prepared to do so, then I'd take it. That said, I also think a club with ambition should be telling suitors to do one.
"When the going gets weird, the weird get professional!" Hunter S Thompson
Oscar
First Team
First Team

Post by Oscar »

1. Hopefully means Monk is staying but I still think while Norwich, Middlesbrough and possibly other clubs don't have managers there is always a risk he will not be here next season. I am genuinely embarrased that Monk's situation hasn't been sorted out properly yet should have been offered a 2-3 year deal (minimum) in December.

2. If Jonathon Kodjia is worth £15 million then Wood is worth between £20-25 million.

Unless Woody wants to leave (which I highly doubt) I wouldn't take £20 million, whats the point really?

To replace him we would need to spend at least £10-15 million on a new striker in todays market (we can't f*** around again and replace him with an unproven player at this level, as I can virtually guarantee it will be another Morison for Becchio or Antenucci for McCormack situation), it would have to be a Tammy Abraham/Ross McCormack level of striker minimum, in fact there is no one outside the premier league's top 10 at Woody's level so it could easily cost £15 million (maybe even £20m) or over to properly replace him.
leaving us £5 million- £10 million (at the absolute maximum) for other players, really not worth it is it £5 million on top and you might have a striker in your team who doesn't fit your style at all.

Everything we do comes through Wood (taking chances, movement, link up play, gegenpressing, defending on corners, starting counter attacks and starting attacks in general) so much more than just a goalscorer the best player in the league.
He quite simply is our best player by a mile and the best player in the championship imo.
Payet at West Ham, Bale at Tottenham, Suarez at Liverpool those big fees for the heartbeat of the team just never work for the selling team do they?
We have a striker who absolutely loves playing here despite being given no respect for 3/4 of his time here so far and being booed on and off the pitch several times. To play as a striker for Leeds really does require a strong personality and a specific set of skills which only 4 strikers have shown since Viduka (Wood, McCormack, Beckford and Becchio) which out of the hundreds of strikers we have had fills me with zero confidence that we would replace him well (this isn't me having a go at Monk/Clotet by the way far from it, the board simply won't give Monk the funds required if they are anything like the last 3 owners.)

If Wood wants to stay and we are offered £20 million there is absolutely no way in a million years we should take it.

Woody isn't a one season wonder either:
last 4 full seasons at this level
27 in 44 (41 starts)
13 in 36 (33 starts)
13-14 he didn't really play much but still had a good minutes to goal return
20 in 39 (37 starts)
12 in 42 (25 starts)
Overall over his last 4 proper seasons at this level 72 goals in 161 appearances (136 starts)
Scoring at a rate of a goal every 168 minutes, which on average over a whole season (without injury) and playing every game is 25 goals a season.