Konta - Wimbledon

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Konta - Wimbledon

Post by Norm »

Slimmed down and fit Venus (37) making life difficult for the lass. 6-4 4-2, Jo winning the last game.
Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Norm »

6-4 5-2, she's going to need something really special now!
Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Norm »

105 mph serve Advantage Konta.
Every time her serve drops below 100 mph Venus reels her back.

Oops, Match Point.

105 mph - she claws back.

Match Point again

108 mph 40-40

2nd serve - 93 mph, Match Point

Venus wins 6-4 6-2

The lass played well but Venus triumphant.

Shame but that's reality.
Last edited by Norm on Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
lufc1304
Superstar
Superstar
Twitter: @DrGonzo2411

Post by lufc1304 »

Venus always looked a game too far for Konta. But no disgrace in making the Wimbledon semis and losing to a multi-champion
"When the going gets weird, the weird get professional!" Hunter S Thompson
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Now that will either be an experience she can build on or she's another Henman who couldn't play the big games. I thought she was poor today and both semi finals massive let downs in terms of good sport

Well played but remember she was the top seed left IIRC.
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Venus back to her best 8-)

Did i see one of her 2nd serves at 106 mph :shock:

Poor Jo Konta made too many unenforced errors especially her forehand shots & first serves, nevertheless playing such a powerful player in Williams will be a learning experience for Konta

Feel really sad for Jo however she can leave Wimbledon 2017 with pride as she has been a breath of fresh air during this tournament
Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Norm »

lufc1304 wrote:

Venus always looked a game too far for Konta. But no disgrace in making the Wimbledon semis and losing to a multi-champion
True, I think she was a little overawed, but faaip also has a point - it's whether you can keep your nerve when it really counts.

She has other chances to prove herself as a Slam champion. US Open next.

She's won 3 singles titles on the WTA Tour and she's actually 26, so quite experienced.
Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Norm »

I was disappointed with the Spaniard's Shriekathon. That ought to have been outlawed when it first became common practice in the Seles era I think, although it may have been earlier. I wish I could use some kind of a noise pitch filter because I like to hear the regular noises from a tennis court for the atmosphere.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Totally agree.
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

Jo did extremely well reaching the Wimbledon semi final. Remember, two years ago she was outside the top hundred players, now shes number six in the world. She's gradually improved her game and I think she will be there or there abouts in most tournaments. Venus was just awesome today. I hope she hasn't peaked! Seen it a lot when a player excels in a semi final only to be very poor in the final. Jo was interviewed a few hours after the match and had good things to say about Venus, also how even though she's disappointed she's very proud of reaching the semi. Her goal is to be world number one...let's hope she gets there. On to the next tournament now next week for Jo
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

Norm wrote:I was disappointed with the Spaniard's Shriekathon. That ought to have been outlawed when it first became common practice in the Seles era I think, although it may have been earlier. I wish I could use some kind of a noise pitch filter because I like to hear the regular noises from a tennis court for the atmosphere.
Totally agree with you Norm. The first semi was awful. And yes, I think it was Seles who starting the screaming. Awful just awful and should have been nipped in the bud there and then. One good thing about Sharapova missing these last months is that I haven't had to listen to her awful high pitched screaming
Haighy
First Team
First Team

Post by Haighy »

whiteswan wrote:What other sports (apart from football ) do you enjoy Haighy. I know you like your cricket....
It would be easier to list the ones i don't like !!
I like most sports.......except :- Golf, horse racing ( is that a sport? ) and tennis.
Athletics and boxing are corrupt.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Haighy wrote:It would be easier to list the ones i don't like !!
I like most sports.......except :- Golf, horse racing ( is that a sport? ) and tennis.
Athletics and boxing are corrupt.
Most definitely, probably the oldest sport in history

The Sport Of Kings as horse racing is known.

Modern horse racing in Britain dates back to the 17th century. Prior to this date, evidence of the origins of horse racing is sketchy. There are records of horse racing during Roman times in the 12th century,
Haighy
First Team
First Team

Post by Haighy »

1964white wrote:Most definitely, probably the oldest sport in history

The Sport Of Kings as horse racing is known.

Modern horse racing in Britain dates back to the 17th century. Prior to this date, evidence of the origins of horse racing is sketchy. There are records of horse racing during Roman times in the 12th century,
Sorry, but in my view it's a corrupt form of gambling !
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Haighy wrote:Sorry, but in my view it's a corrupt form of gambling !
Horse racing has cleaned it's act up over the years mate