Wimbledon Women's and Men's Finals

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
John in Louisiana
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: Wimbledon Women's and Men's Finals

Post by John in Louisiana »

I feel privileged to have been able to watch Federer these many years.

Enjoy it while you can; we will never see his like again.
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

faaip wrote:Glad I missed it, poor end to the tournament with 6 one sided games to finish it...
I think it's been a poor tournament all around faaip. Far too many injured players turning up for the money, only to retire in the first or second set. Something needs to be sorted out by the governing body or people will get fed up of being short changed and stop attending tournaments altogether
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

whiteswan wrote:I think it's been a poor tournament all around faaip. Far too many injured players turning up for the money, only to retire in the first or second set. Something needs to be sorted out by the governing body or people will get fed up of being short changed and stop attending tournaments altogether
Yes losing some top seeds has put a dampener on this years Wimbledon

I suspect the All England Lawn Tennis Club Board will act fairly swiftly implementing new rules with regard to injured/unfit players involvement in the tournament
1964white

Post by 1964white »

John in Louisiana wrote:I feel privileged to have been able to watch Federer these many years.

Enjoy it while you can; we will never see his like again.
Along with Joe Root & Kevin Sinfield he is one of the few modern-day sports heroes for me

Federer plays the game how it should be played.....a proper gentleman
liggy
First Team
First Team

Post by liggy »

Aye he's a gooding I'd have him in my stock loft at stud,
Didn't realise the wifie's final was the lanky williams,it's usually the dumpy one with the huge pair of lungs on her.not that I follow it much
billie1
First Team
First Team

Post by billie1 »

I haven't watched a Wimbledon final for years . I used to be an avid follower . I appreciate that Federer is probably the best to have ever played the game . But there were so many great players to enjoy in the late 60's and 70's when I was growing up . Laver , Newcombe , Rosewall , Connors , McEnroe , Ashe , Borg , Billie Jean , Chris Evert , Martina , Evonne Cawley all immediately spring to mind . A marvellous era .
1964white

Post by 1964white »

billie1 wrote:I haven't watched a Wimbledon final for years . I used to be an avid follower . I appreciate that Federer is probably the best to have ever played the game . But there were so many great players to enjoy in the late 60's and 70's when I was growing up . Laver , Newcombe , Rosewall , Connors , McEnroe , Ashe , Borg , Billie Jean , Chris Evert , Martina , Evonne Cawley all immediately spring to mind . A marvellous era .
A wonderful era Billie, a fantastic array of players however Federer is worthy of a place amongst that group
1964white

Post by 1964white »

liggy wrote:Aye he's a gooding I'd have him in my stock loft at stud,
Didn't realise the wifie's final was the lanky williams,it's usually the dumpy one with the huge pair of lungs on her.not that I follow it much
God knows how the dumpy one gets round the court so quickly although her swift movement has been stunted as she is up the duff. Williams mum is built like a elephant !
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

1964white wrote:God knows how the dumpy one gets round the court so quickly although her swift movement has been stunted as she is up the duff. Williams mum is built like a elephant !
Leon! That is so not like you :roflmao:
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Post by HarryofOz »

Nadal in his mid-thirties won the French Open without dropping a set

Federer in his mid-thirties did the same at Wimbledon

Two true champions of the sport.
Un Marcelo Bielsa, solo hay un Marcelo Bielsa. Gracias Marcello. Marsching on together.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

whiteswan wrote:Leon! That is so not like you :roflmao:
I blame Liggy's influence :wink:
Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Norm »

I taped the match and have enjoyed watching all the nuances a couple of times.
RF looks damn near in the shape of his life. His 6 months break last year and not competing at Roland Garros this year has worked wonders for him. I hope he gets to no.1 this year. He's emulated Borg by not losing a set and also not losing his serve.
Regarding people dropping out, give RF credit for taking the breaks to let his injuries heal - others should perhaps do the same thing.
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

Norm wrote:I taped the match and have enjoyed watching all the nuances a couple of times.
RF looks damn near in the shape of his life. His 6 months break last year and not competing at Roland Garros this year has worked wonders for him. I hope he gets to no.1 this year. He's emulated Borg by not losing a set and also not losing his serve.
Regarding people dropping out, give RF credit for taking the breaks to let his injuries heal - others should perhaps do the same thing.
Totally agree Norm. Roger was so right to take the breaks he did, as did Rafa who won his tenth French open. The greedy players who came into Wimbledon knowing they were injured short changed the crowd and the tv audience. ( but a tennis mad friend of mine pointed out that Roger and Rafa don't need to turn up injured as they are mega bucks rich). But hopefully, the powers that be in tennis can stop this rot of players turing up injured, playing a few games, retiring, and getting a full pay cheque. As a tennis fan of many years, something needs to be done
Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Norm »

whiteswan wrote:

Totally agree Norm. Roger was so right to take the breaks he did, as did Rafa who won his tenth French open. The greedy players who came into Wimbledon knowing they were injured short changed the crowd and the tv audience. ( but a tennis mad friend of mine pointed out that Roger and Rafa don't need to turn up injured as they are mega bucks rich). But hopefully, the powers that be in tennis can stop this rot of players turing up injured, playing a few games, retiring, and getting a full pay cheque. As a tennis fan of many years, something needs to be done.
Don’t they get paid according to where they finish? If that’s so, how can they get a full pay cheque if they retire early? I must admit I don’t know anything about their pay structure but in industry it would be a sick-note holiday I suppose.
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Post by HarryofOz »

They get paid based on how far into the tournament they get. The four grand slam tournaments have different pay rules to other tournaments. If you pull out of another tournament before you play your first round match because of injury, you still get your 'first round' money and you get replaced by a lucky loser from the qualifying rounds

At the grand slams, you get paid nothing, and no-one replaces you. So the injured player has the incentive to start the match.
Un Marcelo Bielsa, solo hay un Marcelo Bielsa. Gracias Marcello. Marsching on together.
Durly
First Team
First Team

Post by Durly »

HarryofOz wrote:Nadal in his mid-thirties won the French Open without dropping a set

Federer in his mid-thirties did the same at Wimbledon

Two true champions of the sport.
I think mid-thirties is pushing it a bit with Rafa.............he's 31! Five years younger than RF.
I agree though.......both great achievements.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Problem with taking tournaments off is it will effect your ranking surely? ..Ranking effects seeding
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Norm »

It doesn't seem to have affected Rafa and RF - they're the top 2 by several thousand points.
Of course, if RF hadn't won 2 slams this year and Rafa one, plus the non-slam titles too, that would have been a different story.
The real point is that they got over niggling injuries, without which they wouldn't have won the slams probably, so it's a moot point.
Aging bodies need TLC, which includes plenty of recovery time.
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Post by HarryofOz »

Durly wrote:I think mid-thirties is pushing it a bit with Rafa.............he's 31! Five years younger than RF.
I agree though.......both great achievements.

True. I keep forgetting about how much younger than Federer Nadal is. They both seem to have been around for so long.