Monday's Breakfast Debate -

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Monday's Breakfast Debate -

Post by 1964white »

Good Morning Everyone

Christiansen has told the Leeds fans that he wants to make it up to the hundreds of Leeds fans that travelled to the Kufstein Arena expecting to see a game yesterday.

Should the Austria authorities/German police be held accountable for cancelling the game at the last minute; surely they had weeks to make that decision!

Meanwhile closer to home Leeds director of football has switched his attention to defenders with Bristol City man mountain Aden Flint heading the list.

The 6'5" giant was signed from Alfreton Town in 2013 for just £300,000. Today his value is in the region of 5m.

Personally I don't much about him, maybe Ayling has had a word in the scouts ears.

Is he that good or will we go for a European CB ?
NorfolkWhite
Manager
Manager

Re: Monday's Breakfast Debate -

Post by NorfolkWhite »

Very disappointing for the travelling fans but as soon as the authorities cite "safety concerns" there is only one outcome.

On Aiden Flint - if £5m was a lot for Jonny Howson then that is a staggering sum for him.......would have thought we could do better elsewhere for that sort of cash.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Should the Austria authorities/German police be held accountable for cancelling the game at the last minute; surely they had weeks to make that decision!

Definitely - it almost would appear that they waited until after fans would have booked flights and hotels before they announced the decision. Happy to take the revenue but then panicking about the risk of trouble. I am surprised there wasn't any trouble from disgruntled fans although maybe the fans were spread about in neighbouring towns/cities rather than all being in the one place.

Is Flint that good or will we go for a European CB ?

Had never heard of him prior to us supposedly being linked to him and don't think Bristol City's defensive record is anything special. I would be very surprised if there is any truth in this as £5m for a 28 year old defender is a lot of money - no resale value and unproven at a higher level and not even that much experience at this level. If we were spending that sort of money it would appear more sensible to try to sign Bartley. I would expect a foreign centreback to more likely be the case, probably no older than 24 and of scandinavian/german origin as they are more used to the toughness that they will need in the championship.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

My understanding is that Austrian authorities were given intelligence from Germany that hundreds maybe a couple of thousand German ultras were going to go to the Leeds match.

Were a section of German fans involved in crowd trouble at a Leeds game or one of the other friendlies last season ?

I can't see us spending £5m on Flint, as we all agree surely we'd be better off spending that amount of money on Bartley. I do think we'll bring in two European CB's possibly from one of the Scandinavian countries such as Sweden, Denmark, Iceland,etc
Fordy181
Youth Team
Youth Team
Twitter: @richard67293755

Post by Fordy181 »

we are also linked with Harold Voyer this morning from PSG. hes 20 year old and refused a contract offer because he wants first team football.

As for Flint all the Bristol fans sound genuinely gutted he might be leaving and say he is the real deal so i would be happy if we got him personally. and i still dont know why people keep saying go for Bartley its starting to look increasingly likely he will start for them next yer. He is not going to give up first team premier league football to play for Leeds. if it goes wrong for him we might be able to get him in January but hopefully by then we wont need him.
Fordy181
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Fordy181 »

1964white wrote:My understanding is that Austrian authorities were given intelligence from Germany that hundreds maybe a couple of thousand German ultras were going to go to the Leeds match.

Were a section of German fans involved in crowd trouble at a Leeds game or one of the other friendlies last season ?

I can't see us spending £5m on Flint, as we all agree surely we'd be better off spending that amount of money on Bartley. I do think we'll bring in two European CB's possibly from one of the Scandinavian countries such as Sweden, Denmark, Iceland,etc
I did read something at the weekend about a 23 year old CB from Denmark been linked to us.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Flint, 27, is coming off some dominant seasons with The Robins. In 2014/2015, Flint scored 14 League One goals – as a central defender – when Bristol won the title. The following year Flint won the club’s Player of the Year award in 2015/2016.
Last season, Flint accrued an impressive 7.32 WhoScored aggregate in league play. He averaged 6.3 aerials won per match while adding five goals and a further assist from set pieces. Moreover, Flint showed calm resolve as well – evidenced by just four yellow cards in 4,140 minutes of play.
Flint fits better in a 4-back system alongside a tactical centre back
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Sounds like a goal scoring CB, calm under pressure and wins in the air...Sounds like he could be ideal and surely not every signing needs to make money at the back end. He's more likely to be a part of getting us up than what's come in so far. My mantra has always been build from defence, we've not done that so far in fact up to now we've been weakening the defence. This could be a step in the right direction.
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
1964white

Post by 1964white »

faaip wrote:Sounds like a goal scoring CB, calm under pressure and wins in the air...Sounds like he could be ideal and surely not every signing needs to make money at the back end. He's more likely to be a part of getting us up than what's come in so far. My mantra has always been build from defence, we've not done that so far in fact up to now we've been weakening the defence. This could be a step in the right direction.
He could be the man we badly require, CB's do mature with age

Now Diagouraga is out of the way anyone decent than Cooper & Ayling playing in central defence
Fordy181
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Fordy181 »

faaip wrote:Sounds like a goal scoring CB, calm under pressure and wins in the air...Sounds like he could be ideal and surely not every signing needs to make money at the back end. He's more likely to be a part of getting us up than what's come in so far. My mantra has always been build from defense, we've not done that so far in fact up to now we've been weakening the defence. This could be a step in the right direction.
I agree, on paper he sounds like the perfect fit and he has the experience people keep craving don't know why some don't like the idea. As for 5 million price tag and the fact people say we didn't buy Howsen, there is nothing to even suggest we tried to sign him other than papers putting 2 and 2 together. Its very likely we didn't get him because we dint want him not the 5 million price tag.
gessa

Post by gessa »

1964white wrote:Good Morning Everyone

Christiansen has told the Leeds fans that he wants to make it up to the hundreds of Leeds fans that travelled to the Kufstein Arena expecting to see a game yesterday.

Meanwhile closer to home Leeds director of football has switched his attention to defenders with Bristol City man mountain Aden Flint heading the list.

The 6'5" giant was signed from Alfreton Town in 2013 for just £300,000. Today his value is in the region of 5m.

Personally I don't much about him, maybe Ayling has had a word in the scouts ears.

Is he that good or will we go for a European CB ?
I would imagine it was last minute intelligence the Police picked up.

Know nothing about Flint, looking less likely that Bartley will return, £7M far too much for someone they were happy to see the back of last season, who has only 12 months left on His contract. The only problem I see with Flint from the little I've read is if we're playing the system thats been talked about, surely we would be looking for more of a ball playing CB to partner Jansson. Helander(sp) looks more likely a better fit
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

I'd suggest both, we need 2 and a starting LB
NorfolkWhite
Manager
Manager

Post by NorfolkWhite »

Fordy181 wrote:I agree, on paper he sounds like the perfect fit and he has the experience people keep craving don't know why some don't like the idea. As for 5 million price tag and the fact people say we didn't buy Howsen, there is nothing to even suggest we tried to sign him other than papers putting 2 and 2 together. Its very likely we didn't get him because we dint want him not the 5 million price tag.
Was merely a comparison between the value for a player who's been promoted and done ok personally in the PL being the same as a CB without similar credentials, seems way overpriced to me, not saying he wouldn't be a decent addition just not for what they are asking.
Fordy181
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Fordy181 »

NorfolkWhite wrote:Was merely a comparison between the value for a player who's been promoted and done ok personally in the PL being the same as a CB without similar credentials, seems way overpriced to me, not saying he wouldn't be a decent addition just not for what they are asking.
i see your point but theirs some proper poor players go for 5 - 10 million these days, clubs know Leeds have money now and if you want championship experience its probably going to cost us.
Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Norm »

Spend the bloody money - we need a superlative partner for PJ and just think how much he'll have been worth it if we once again have a miserly defence and get to the playoffs or better.
Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Norm »

Defence is the key to promotion and winning things, we all know that in our heart of hearts. Come on Radz - do us proud.
rab_rant

Post by rab_rant »

Is this a joke??? Given the history between Leeds and Turkish teams I would severely question the wisdom of putting a game like this on.

In their fourth outing of pre-season, Leeds United will continue their preparations ahead of the new season by contesting the first of a trinity of friendlies to be played in Austria - Thomas Christiansen’s charges face Turkish side Bursaspor this evening (17:00 GMT).

No mention of it on the official site only on NewsNow. Has to be a joke right???

https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/ ... ews/45993/
Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Norm »

At least, if it's correct, it's not in Turkey Rab. I don't know if that would make a big difference and whether all Turkish sides would have the same view of Leeds. If we ever get back in Europe we may find we have to go there sometime anyway.
Crude
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Crude »

Norm wrote:Spend the bloody money - we need a superlative partner for PJ and just think how much he'll have been worth it if we once again have a miserly defence and get to the playoffs or better.
Getting the attacking players we got was key. They are usually the first to go in a transfer window, while suitable CB's will still be around later in the window. Sure Rads/Orta/TC got some serious irons in the fire for a proper couple of defenders.
RIP Twiggster, March 5, 2023

Chris & Kevin | Never Forgotten | April 5, 2000

Gary Andrew Speed, MBE — Always In Our Hearts, 1969-2011
Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Norm »

Crude wrote:

Getting the attacking players we got was key. They are usually the first to go in a transfer window, while suitable CB's will still be around later in the window. Sure Rads/Orta/TC got some serious irons in the fire for a proper couple of defenders.
I understand Dan - they're being canny. It's just that we really do need good defenders, not necessarily cheap.
Maybe we'll be lucky and get both in a couple of good ones.

So far Radz has done well I think, and won't 'do a Ridsdale' on spending. If our football management and scouting 'team' are doing their job right the biggie is to give them all (including any new defenders) time to gel, and there isn't that much time left now for that to happen.