Favourite Albums Poll - Gangof4, Moore, Numan, Benson, Michael, Rafferty, Goldfrapp, Gonjasufi, Dead, G'n'R - VOTE NOW

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Haighy
First Team
First Team

Re: Favourite Albums Poll - Can/Parker/Isaak/Daughter/Gray/Dep Mode/Dexys/Ross/Straits/Fagan - VOTE NOW

Post by Haighy »

Hmmm..... I'll give these a miss !!!
Gandalf
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Favourite Albums Poll - Can/Parker/Isaak/Daughter/Gray/Dep Mode/Dexys/Ross/Straits/Fagan - VOTE NOW

Post by Gandalf »

Dexys Midnight Runners - Searching For The Young Soul Rebels

Dire Straits - Alchemy

Donald Fagan - The Nightfly
Delapsus Resurgam - When I fall I shall rise!
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Haighy wrote:Hmmm..... I'll give these a miss !!!
Just noticed Haighy, no heavy rock bands in this current poll
billie1
First Team
First Team

Post by billie1 »

Charlie Parker The Complete Dial and Savoy Sessions

Dire Straits Brothers in Arms
John in Louisiana
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by John in Louisiana »

Chris Isaak -- "Chris Isaak" from 1996, almost entirely for the brilliance that is James Calvin Wilsey's guitar (check him out on the cut "Wild Love").

Dire Straits -- Communique

Charlie Parker -- way too many to choose from, but if I have to, it will be "Bird in Paris"

Got to see Dire Straits at a tiny little night club in Connecticut called the Shaboo Inn back in September or October of '78 just after their first album dropped in the US. "Sultans of Swing" was, by then, a massive hit, and the band were playing arena-sized shows, but Mark Knopfler insisted upon keeping the Shaboo date as he wanted to reward the venue for signing the band before anyone in the US knew who they were. Knopfler is on my short list with Richard Thompson for the world's greatest living guitarist.

Have to go even more off-topic and tell a story about the Shaboo Inn. It was a dive of a club in an old thread mill in Mansfield, Connecticut, but would get the greatest bands on their way between Boston and New York because the owners, David "Lefty" Foster and Bruce John, were just great guys.

About the same time Dire Straits played, the Police also showed up. The Shaboo show was just the band's second in the United States, and Foster did it as a favor to drummer Stewart Copeland's brother Ian Copeland, who booked the band. "``He goes, `Lefty, do you want Iggy Pop in six weeks?''' Foster remembers. ``I said yes. He did the agent thing where he said, `If you want Iggy Pop, then you'll take my brother's band.''' So Foster took a band he had never heard of and set the cover charge at $1. ``The record hadn't come out yet, so we knew it was going to be dead,'' Foster says. Plus, the World Series was on, and the Yankees were playing the Dodgers. This didn't sit well with Sting.

"``It's a tie game, and Sting is in the barroom pacing, completely bored, going, `I really want to play,''' Foster says. ``He was driving everybody nuts, so finally, I say, `Look, what's your name? Sting? Sting, look, we're all going to watch your band, but it's a tie game; it's the World Series. Wait until 10 o'clock, and then go on.''

I was in the bar that night watching the game, but had no idea that drama was going on behind me. The Police went on afterward, with a crowd of just a couple hundred or so. To their credit, they put on a great show.
gessa

Post by gessa »

Dire Straits Making Movies
Daughter If You Leave
Haighy
First Team
First Team

Post by Haighy »

:tup:
1964white wrote:Just noticed Haighy, no heavy rock bands in this current poll
1964white

Re: Favourite Albums Poll

Post by 1964white »

Can Tago Mago - 4/5

Charlie Parker Charlie Parker With Strings - 4/5

Chris Isaak Heart Shaped World - 3/5

David Gray White Ladder - 3/5

Depeche Mode Violator - 4/5

Dexys Midnight Runners One Day I'm Going To Soar - 4/5

Diana Ross Diana Ross - 4/5

Dire Straits Brothers In Arms 4/5

Donald Fagan The Nightfly - 4/5
1964white

Post by 1964white »

gessa wrote:Both mine are 4/5
Cheers mate :tup:
Durly
First Team
First Team

Post by Durly »

Dexys Midnight Runners - Searching For The Young Soul Rebels
Daughter - If You Leave
1964white

Post by 1964white »

John in Louisiana wrote:Chris Isaak -- "Chris Isaak" from 1996, almost entirely for the brilliance that is James Calvin Wilsey's guitar (check him out on the cut "Wild Love").

Dire Straits -- Communique

Charlie Parker -- way too many to choose from, but if I have to, it will be "Bird in Paris"

Got to see Dire Straits at a tiny little night club in Connecticut called the Shaboo Inn back in September or October of '78 just after their first album dropped in the US. "Sultans of Swing" was, by then, a massive hit, and the band were playing arena-sized shows, but Mark Knopfler insisted upon keeping the Shaboo date as he wanted to reward the venue for signing the band before anyone in the US knew who they were. Knopfler is on my short list with Richard Thompson for the world's greatest living guitarist.

Have to go even more off-topic and tell a story about the Shaboo Inn. It was a dive of a club in an old thread mill in Mansfield, Connecticut, but would get the greatest bands on their way between Boston and New York because the owners, David "Lefty" Foster and Bruce John, were just great guys.

About the same time Dire Straits played, the Police also showed up. The Shaboo show was just the band's second in the United States, and Foster did it as a favor to drummer Stewart Copeland's brother Ian Copeland, who booked the band. "``He goes, `Lefty, do you want Iggy Pop in six weeks?''' Foster remembers. ``I said yes. He did the agent thing where he said, `If you want Iggy Pop, then you'll take my brother's band.''' So Foster took a band he had never heard of and set the cover charge at $1. ``The record hadn't come out yet, so we knew it was going to be dead,'' Foster says. Plus, the World Series was on, and the Yankees were playing the Dodgers. This didn't sit well with Sting.

"``It's a tie game, and Sting is in the barroom pacing, completely bored, going, `I really want to play,''' Foster says. ``He was driving everybody nuts, so finally, I say, `Look, what's your name? Sting? Sting, look, we're all going to watch your band, but it's a tie game; it's the World Series. Wait until 10 o'clock, and then go on.''

I was in the bar that night watching the game, but had no idea that drama was going on behind me. The Police went on afterward, with a crowd of just a couple hundred or so. To their credit, they put on a great show.
Revealing story John :tup:
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

Dire Straits - Making Movies
David Gray - Slow Motion
Diana Ross - The Force behind the Power
Depeche Mode - Speak and Spell
John in Louisiana
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by John in Louisiana »

Forgot to add David Gray......

Sell, Sell, Sell is still my favorite, although I love them all. Huge fan.
lufc1304
Superstar
Superstar
Twitter: @DrGonzo2411

Post by lufc1304 »

Can - Tago Mago
Charlie Parker - Bird in Paris
David Gray - White Ladder
Depeche Mode - Violator
"When the going gets weird, the weird get professional!" Hunter S Thompson
1964white

Post by 1964white »

lufc1304 wrote:Can - Tago Mago
Charlie Parker - Bird in Paris
David Gray - White Ladder
Depeche Mode - Violator
You've done it again Nick. :tup:

I almost voted for Bird In Paris too, would have been a full house :lol:
lufc1304
Superstar
Superstar
Twitter: @DrGonzo2411

Post by lufc1304 »

1964white wrote:You've done it again Nick. :tup:

I almost voted for Bird In Paris too, would have been a full house :lol:
Getting to be a habit this, Leon!! :wink:

Forgot about Dexys, Searching for the young soul rebels is their finest work and gets 5/5 from me
"When the going gets weird, the weird get professional!" Hunter S Thompson
1964white

Post by 1964white »

whiteswan wrote:Dire Straits - Making Movies
David Gray - Slow Motion
Diana Ross - The Force behind the Power
Depeche Mode - Speak and Spell
Blimey Swan you are putting Hector & others to shame :wink:
1964white

Re: Favourite Albums Poll

Post by 1964white »

Favourite Studio/Live Albums by any of these artists

ROUND 16

VOTE NOW + include your ratings out of five if you wish

Can

2 - Tago Mago

Charlie Parker

2 - Bird In Paris
1 - The Complete Dial and Savoy Sessions
1 - Charlie Parker With Strings

Chris Isaak

1 - Heart Shaped World
1 - Chris Isaak

Daughter

2 - If You Leave

David Gray

2 - White Ladder
1 - Slow Motion
1 - Sell, Sell, Sell

Depeche Mode

2 - Violator
1 - Speak & Spell

Dexys Midnight Runners

3 - Searching For The Young Soul Rebels
1 One Day I'm Going To Soar

Diana Ross

1 - Diana Ross (1970)
1 - The Force Behind The Power

Dire Straits

3 - Making Movies
2 - Brother In Arms
1 - Comminique
1 - Alchemy

Donald Fagan

2 - The Nightfly

Voted - Billie, Durly, Gandi, Ges, Hector, John, Whiteswan, 64, 1304
hector

Post by hector »

1964white wrote:Blimey Swan you are putting Hector & others to shame :wink:
It's not my fault that Swannies taste in music is "questionable" to say the least... :P :P

:mrgreen:
Song machine is coming down....
And we're gonna have a party Uhuhu