Sunday Breakfast Debate - Christiansen speaks out/Charlie

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Sunday Breakfast Debate - Christiansen speaks out/Charlie

Post by 1964white »

Thomas Christiansen has stated that star striker Chris Wood will not be sold this summer, despite speculation linking the centre forward with a move to the Premier League

“Chris is very important and that is why he will not leave,” the Leeds boss is quoted as saying by The Guardian.

“Many bids can come, of course, he is a good striker. But if we want to achieve something this season, you cannot sell your best players. If we want to go up, we need to keep good players.”

I see Charlie boy was on the bench v Chelsea yesterday

Taylor watched on as Irish international LB Stephen Ward scored a sceamer v Chelsea. Enjoy your splinter experience on those wooden seats at Turf Moor Charlie :lol:

Thoughts ?
Ratscoot
Manager
Manager

Re: Sunday Breakfast Debate - Christiansen speaks out/Charlie

Post by Ratscoot »

Good to hear from TC but as many have said before if a £20+million bid comes in he'll be gone

Again I think many on here said this would happen but his Bank Manager will be happy
A bumble bee under the laws of physics shouldnt be able to fly, but it does because no one has told it that it can't
billie1
First Team
First Team

Post by billie1 »

I agree it's good to hear that from TC about Wood . What does Wood want to do though ? Hopefully he doesn't want to join Taylor on the Burnley bench .
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

billie1 wrote:I agree it's good to hear that from TC about Wood . What does Wood want to do though ? Hopefully he doesn't want to join Taylor on the Burnley bench .
Exactly Billie that's where he'll end up if he moves to Burnley although his bank account will be £2m richer
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Seriously TC is just posturing, right offer and he should be gone. I have no idea what anyone else earns here but if someone highly reputable offered to quadruple it overnight ...you'd wanna go too.

It just depends on the offer

Plus if we turn down 20 and he's scored 5 by christmas and is no longer first team?
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

It is always a double edged sword when it comes to selling players. If we sell Wood now we would get top value and even if he was to score a bucketload again his value wouldn't significantly rise and may even fall due to the fact he'd only have a year left on his contract next summer. If he has a poor season then his value would be £5m max next summer. Of course the hope is that he stays and his goals fire us to promotion but many teams have taken gambles and it hasn't paid off (if Robbie Fowler had scored the goals that won us the premier league then Ridsdale would have been the best chairman in our history etc).
I would think that if we struggle this month and look unlikely to mount a challenge then he may get shipped out before the window shuts. If we have a reasonable start then I would be expecting AR to reject all offers and the only way Wood would leave would be if he formally demanded a transfer etc.

Taylor may just be another in a long list of players who sacrifice their career to make more money in the short term. That said he has a lot of years ahead of him so may make the breakthrough. Probably kicking himself though as with Berardi injured he would have probably been in our first team.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Had Taylor signed a new contract I'd imagine he'd have started irrespective of Beradi' health.
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"