Chris Froome - Vuelta and Tour Double

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
NorfolkWhite
Manager
Manager

Chris Froome - Vuelta and Tour Double

Post by NorfolkWhite »

What an achievement, only the third man in the history of cycling to complete this historic double (others were Hinault and Anquetil) out of the three Grand Tours of the season. Also the first Britain ever to win the Vuelta.

Both the Vuelta and the Tour are 3 weeks of mountains, heat, suffering and mental effort on a daily basis. You need to be fit, fearless and immune to pain to get anywhere near the podium in just one of these events - to win two in one year is a supreme sporting effort.

For all those of you who complain about the new breed of softee footballers these guys need to be dragged off their bikes when injured and there is a real pride in finishing what you started no matter what.

Froome seems a genuine down to earth bloke and I hope he gets the recognition he deserves - certainly gets my vote in SPOTY.
liggy
First Team
First Team

Re: Chris Froome - Vuelta and Tour Double

Post by liggy »

If he won the tour de France on a Raleigh Chopper

Hall the numptys who vote for spoty would still vote for a Zara Phillips type superstar
gessa

Post by gessa »

Brilliant achievement , the fitness of these guys is frightening
NorfolkWhite
Manager
Manager

Post by NorfolkWhite »

liggy wrote:If he won the tour de France on a Raleigh Chopper

Hall the numptys who vote for spoty would still vote for a Zara Phillips type superstar
Few years back an ex pro rode the TDF route on a Chopper for charity!1 was modified a bit on the gearing, went to a talk he did, said it was the downhills that were the scariest :(
paddy parrott
Manager
Manager

Post by paddy parrott »

Just ask former England and Crystal Palace player how hard these events are..? He done a book for his charity some years ago.
Clacton White
First Team
First Team

Post by Clacton White »

I think both the Vuelta and /giro are generally harder races than the TDF ,though the TDF is the prestige race .
I didn't think Froome had much chance after his TDF exploits , thought he'd be knackered , but in away he was lucky because all his main opposition have done either the tour or Giro - so all went in pretty much in the same condition . What Froome has done is so far unique ' all others who have won TDF and Vuelta did the Vuelta in early spring/summer BEFORE the TDF , only more recently was it moved to September . I love watching these events though this year is the first time I've seen all 3 in the same year ( haven't got Sky ) . Surely Froome will be up for sportsperson of the year , should have won it a few years ago but instead they gave it to no personality Murray .

WEL DONE CHRIS FROOME .
NorfolkWhite
Manager
Manager

Post by NorfolkWhite »

http://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/lates ... ies-351650

Told you they made em tough, after the crash she got on a standard road bike and finished the race with these horrific injuries - absolutely no chance of winning but wanted to finish. Amazing bravery.