Leeds v Birmingham - Team,News,Reports & Ratings

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Leeds v Birmingham - Team,News,Reports & Ratings

Post by weasel »

gessa wrote:We've added to our problems by giving the ball the away far too easily, this is a more typical Championship game than Saturday was, hopefully we can grind it out.
I think Saturday was a game where nearly everything seemed to click and as you say today was more typical of the championship and perhaps more typical of a group of players that are not the finished article. A great battling performance though to grind out the win and it will be these types of performances that will decide where we finish this season rather than the occasional Burton-esque performance.
gessa

Post by gessa »

weasel wrote:I think Saturday was a game where nearly everything seemed to click and as you say today was more typical of the championship and perhaps more typical of a group of players that are not the finished article. A great battling performance though to grind out the win and it will be these types of performances that will decide where we finish this season rather than the occasional Burton-esque performance.

Exactly, those Burton type games come round once a season if you're lucky, just text the same thing to a mate." a big contrast to Saturday but great to know we can dig deep and win this type of game too"
gessa

Post by gessa »

Chuffed for Dallas 2 goals now in games where he has finished the game off for us, looking a better player under TC's regime.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Top of the league :shirt: :shirt: :shirt:

Tough, gritty, hard fought.
Gave the ball away bit much though and forget Jota, Jeremie Boga was giving the defence nightmares.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

paddy parrott
Manager
Manager

Post by paddy parrott »

Great night to be Leeds fan and well done all you supporters who made the trip to watch us go top. Weasel you are quite right about having to grind out results. And this was one such night though I only had texts to update me. MOT.
Haighy
First Team
First Team

Post by Haighy »

A good battleing performance.
I thought through out the game we looked the team most likely to score.
Even the second half, despite their pressure, we looked the most threatening.
Any way.... sod it.. TOP OF THE LEAGUE !!
And I'm just drying out !!
60sUnited
First Team
First Team

Post by 60sUnited »

We certainly didn't click tonight, but that said we won when we didn't play well so thats a bonus ! Brum certainly deserved a point and yes as others have said we gave the ball away far too often. I thought Phillips had a good game and Pontus as usual. Dallas could become our very own super sub but personally I would like to see him start.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

60sUnited wrote:We certainly didn't click tonight, but that said we won when we didn't play well so thats a bonus ! Brum certainly deserved a point and yes as others have said we gave the ball away far too often. I thought Phillips had a good game and Pontus as usual. Dallas could become our very own super sub but personally I would like to see him start.
Just back !

Pontus & Phillips were superb tonight :tup:
LUFC_BOS
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by LUFC_BOS »

Have not posted much, but am absolutely buzzing tonight !

MOT lads and lasses
Oscar
First Team
First Team

Post by Oscar »

We weren't at our best tonight and had to put more focus towards our off the ball work and looking for counter attacking opportunities which I think we managed to do very well. Birmingham definitely had most of the game but didn't create any clear cut chances really they got into some really good positions but we were able to cope when this happened. It was a little bit similar to the Preston game, however, this time we had a Plan B and the counter attack worked really well for us.
We definitely had the better of the chances created quite a few clear cut ones we had three 1 on 1 chances in the second half two for Lasogga and one for Saiz, as well as the two chances we scored from.
I felt we deserved the win, there were definitely things we could have done better but has Wiedwald needed to make a serious save?

Player Ratings:
Wiedwald 7- Made a slight mistake just before half time which could have led to a goal but for Ayling but, however, on 1-2 occasions had to be really quick off his line and he was. Some wonderful distribution from goal kicks and long throws once again.
Ayling 8- Brilliant work to clear off the line just before half time.
Jansson 8- Dealt with everything he had to defensively.
Cooper 8- Outstanding, made a lot of crucial challenges and for me he outshone Pontus tonight.
Anita 7- Caught out of position a few times and some really poor passing but did make a crucial block at 1-0.
Phillips 7- Some crucial interceptions and always tried to push forward.
O'Kane 7- Had a poor first half, however, started to run the game at times in the second half one or two poor decisions but once again was in the right place at the right time on various occasions defensively.
Alioski 5- At times brilliant tonight but lost the ball too easily at times and very poor marking for Birmingham's chance before half time.
Saiz 7- Got on the score sheet and at times brilliant but lost the ball too easily at times wasn't quite at his creative best but still another good performance.
Hernandez 8- Man Of The Match A quiet first half, however, had some sublime moments in the second half particularly in creating 1 on 1 chances for Lasogga and Saiz. He won the ball off Jota ran 20 yards and slid in Lasogga expertly and then a lovely reverse pass to create a chance for Saiz as well.
Lasogga 6- Great work for the first goal and a clever pass for the second goal but in general his link up play and hold up play was non existant. Had two big chances as well in the second half, definitely should have done better with the second one.
Subs:
Roofe 5- Struggled to have an impact on the game.
Berardi 7- Looked as comfortable as ever.
Dallas 8- Once again came on and made a significant contribution to the game a brilliant goal on his weaker foot.
Last edited by Oscar on Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Norm »

The main thing is, a few of us have maybe overcome an occasional tendency to boast (however jokingly) about what our team is going to do to their team. This is not yet "ANFIELD" (please see my other post for that explanation).

We had a 'bad' game but still got a 2-0 win, 3 points and top of the league - don't care how we did it but it gives me such joy to see Leeds topping the table, no matter how transiently. I tell you folks, for a few years there I thought we would never be in this position again as long as I lived. We may not stay there but I hope to heck we do. MOT
Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Norm »

Oh, and I agree with Oscar - I said before that we should keep Dallas no matter what - even if Manchester Moneybags offered us 20 million - that guy's worth his weight in some precious metal. He's almost re-born the way he scores this season - every bit as important as the best of the new lads because he can do it off the bench, and his attitude is class.
rab_rant

Post by rab_rant »

Slept like a baby. There is something about being top of the league that gives you a good nights sleep,
and when you wake up in the morning, the bacon sausage and egg with brown sauce never tasted better.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Oscar wrote:
Player Ratings:
Jansson 7- Dealt with everything he had to defensively.
Cooper 8- Outstanding, made a lot of crucial challenges and for me he outshone Pontus tonight.
Not sure what you were watching Oscar
Screenshot 2017-09-13 at 07.29.38.png
Screenshot 2017-09-13 at 07.29.38.png (53.64 KiB) Viewed 3710 times
Screenshot 2017-09-13 at 07.33.43.png
Screenshot 2017-09-13 at 07.33.43.png (42.32 KiB) Viewed 3710 times
gessa

Post by gessa »

Watching last night i did think the attack got all the plaudits on Saturday, it will be the defenders tonight.
gessa

Post by gessa »

Cjay wrote:Top of the league :shirt: :shirt: :shirt:

Tough, gritty, hard fought.
Gave the ball away bit much though and forget Jota, Jeremie Boga was giving the defence nightmares.

Boga did cat h the eye, is he the one on loan from Chelski.???
1964white

Post by 1964white »

gessa wrote:Watching last night i did think the attack got all the plaudits on Saturday, it will be the defenders tonight.
Correct mate

Pontus was top class contrary to Oscar's review

Phillips was our best midfielder, made loads of interceptions tackles
All our other midfielders constantly gave the ball away, some in dangerous areas including two from Hernandez & O'Kane which were horrendous !
gessa

Post by gessa »

weasel wrote:Brief highlights are up http://www.goalsarena.org/en/video/engl ... nship.html
Well done to the ref on the second goal, playing the advantage, then going back and booking the player for the foul on Lassie.
Well done too to Dallas for not running the ball in the corner trying to waste time, a tactic that times does backfire.
rich_leeds64
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @richleeds64

Post by rich_leeds64 »

I said before the game that I'd settle for a scrappy 1-0 as we're not going to go out and dominate every game and win 5-0.

Had we seen a performance like that last season we'd probably all have been saying we played really well to stop a good Birmingham side and win 2-0 but because we're so much better this season some people on social media are saying we were average/poor. I personally thought we dealt very well with a Birmingham side who have some very good individuals and we did have to do much more defensively and through midfield but once again because of our work rate we kept another clean sheet. TC does his homework on teams and knows when and where to change things to keep us competing.
Pontus was immense last night and he's so cool bringing the ball forward and Phillips ran his socks off and took a booking for the team late on when they broke away and he tripped one of the brum players. No one in the side can marked down for not trying this season but there were a couple of players who made s few sloppy mistakes. Great win, top of the league, wish it was May 6th about 14.15