The Visual/Music Discussion Thread

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
gessa

Re: The Music Discussion Thread

Post by gessa »

1964white wrote:We definitely need at least one Cave album if not more in our Prem/Champs/L1/L2 polls.

There must be 6 of us maybe more who enjoy his music on here 8-)

Which one though
NorfolkWhite
Manager
Manager

Post by NorfolkWhite »

1964white wrote:We definitely need at least one Cave album if not more in our Prem/Champs/L1/L2 polls.

There must be 6 of us maybe more who enjoy his music on here 8-)
One was on my selection shortlist :tup:
NorfolkWhite
Manager
Manager

Post by NorfolkWhite »

gessa wrote:Exactly the same mate.

What a night, as someome who's done in excess of 250 live shows, that one as to be up there with the best of them. I was a little apprehensive,wondering if that setlist was for a more intimate venue, rather than a 21000 arena but there was nothing to worry about, he as this knack of almost mesmerising the audience, they are completely taken in by his presence. My gripe about live shows nowadays are the number of folk who just stand around as though they're in a pub bar laughing and pissing about hardly taking any notice of the act that's on, only shutting up when the one hit is played, why spend money on a ticket and not listen really does piss me off, but not last night the first 3 songs played, you could almost hear a pin drop in the crowd, he draws you in so much.
Not a bad song all night, I'm sure you'll love it mate. Wish i could go to one of the other shows too.
He really does have a presence on stage that just draws people in....glad it translated well in a large venue.

I'm with you on the ignoring the show malarky, along with late comers who want to worm their way down the front or need to leave after 10 minutes - :?
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

gessa wrote:Which one though
That is a difficult question mate

One that appeals to others who may have not heard Cave's music previously
NorfolkWhite
Manager
Manager

Post by NorfolkWhite »

1964white wrote:That is a difficult question mate

One that appeals to others who may have not heard Cave's music previously
The Boatman's Call is usually touted a being a good starting point.
gessa

Post by gessa »

I think Nocturama..it has a bit of everything.
Gandalf
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Gandalf »

Of interest to 64. Went to see the Paul Middleton Angst Band last Thursday at the Duck and Drake in Leeds. "Went to see" is a bit of a misnomer, as we popped in for a drink and a bite, just as the band were about to start. Thoroughly enjoyed their set, however. Middleton, of course, is a former member of Wally. They do a gig the first Thursday of every month at the Duck and Drake, and they also do a weekly gig at the Harrogate Blues Bar. They also have an album out. Website http://www.paulmiddleton.com/contents.html
Delapsus Resurgam - When I fall I shall rise!
1964white

Post by 1964white »

gessa wrote:I think Nocturama..it has a bit of everything.
The Boatsman Call & Nocturama are both excellent :tup:
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Gandalf wrote:Of interest to 64. Went to see the Paul Middleton Angst Band last Thursday at the Duck and Drake in Leeds. "Went to see" is a bit of a misnomer, as we popped in for a drink and a bite, just as the band were about to start. Thoroughly enjoyed their set, however. Middleton, of course, is a former member of Wally. They do a gig the first Thursday of every month at the Duck and Drake, and they also do a weekly gig at the Harrogate Blues Bar. They also have an album out. Website http://www.paulmiddleton.com/contents.html
Nice :tup:

Never seen Paul's band, I believe a couple of the musicians who have worked with Wally play in the Angst Band . Middleton is a right old character

Do they play blues stuff Gandi ?

Any Wally songs covered ?
Gandalf
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Gandalf »

1964white wrote:Nice :tup:

Never seen Paul's band, I believe a couple of the musicians who have worked with Wally play in the Angst Band . Middleton is a right old character

Do they play blues stuff Gandi ?

Any Wally songs covered ?
They are not a Blues band, although there is some guitar blues in there occasionally. More foottappin' rock, with a lot of pedal steel. Not sure if they did any Wally stuff. as my knowledge of it is not strong, and Middleton's voice when announcing songs is gruff, to say the least.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Gandalf wrote:They are not a Blues band, although there is some guitar blues in there occasionally. More foottappin' rock, with a lot of pedal steel. Not sure if they did any Wally stuff. as my knowledge of it is not strong, and Middleton's voice when announcing songs is gruff, to say the least.
Yes gruff is a good description, probably had one too many as well :lol:

Pedal steel guitar is his forte although I think he can play bass & keyboard too
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Gandalf wrote:Of interest to 64. Went to see the Paul Middleton Angst Band last Thursday at the Duck and Drake in Leeds. "Went to see" is a bit of a misnomer, as we popped in for a drink and a bite, just as the band were about to start. Thoroughly enjoyed their set, however. Middleton, of course, is a former member of Wally. They do a gig the first Thursday of every month at the Duck and Drake, and they also do a weekly gig at the Harrogate Blues Bar. They also have an album out. Website http://www.paulmiddleton.com/contents.html

This song 'Surfing' was on the last Wally album Montpellier

Love the feel of the small bar atmosphere in this clip where Paul currently plays

Gandalf
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Gandalf »

1964white wrote:This song 'Surfing' was on the last Wally album Montpellier

Love the feel of the small bar atmosphere in this clip where Paul currently plays

Yeah, they did that one. Indicative of his vocals, that clip - would not suit everybody. The band were very good musically, as you can also see from the clip.

You should get along to Harrogate, if you like the feel.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Gandalf wrote:Yeah, they did that one. Indicative of his vocals, that clip - would not suit everybody. The band were very good musically, as you can also see from the clip.

You should get along to Harrogate, if you like the feel.
A few of our members on here had an enjoyable night in Harrogate seeing Wally play their last gig a few years ago but that concert was in a much larger venue.

As a young man I use to do loads of small venue gigs around West Yorkshire, much easier then living in Leeds

Jill & I like Harrogate, we'll have to consider staying there for the weekend, they have some very good restaurants too !
Gandalf
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Gandalf »

1964white wrote:A few of our members on here had an enjoyable night in Harrogate seeing Wally play their last gig a few years ago but that concert was in a much larger venue.

As a young man I use to do loads of small venue gigs around West Yorkshire, much easier then living in Leeds

Jill & I like Harrogate, we'll have to consider staying there for the weekend, they have some very good restaurants too !
The Angst Band play Harrogate every Wednesday.
hector

Post by hector »

I grew up in Harrogate, (my mum is from there) I also joined the Army there...

But I have no idea where the Blues bar is.....
Song machine is coming down....
And we're gonna have a party Uhuhu
John in Louisiana
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by John in Louisiana »

The wife and I are heading to Memphis this weekend to see one of our favorite Brits, James Hunter. Can't wait.

1964white

Post by 1964white »

Gandalf wrote:The Angst Band play Harrogate every Wednesday.
Cheers :tup:
John in Louisiana
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by John in Louisiana »

Another song from the James Hunter Six........

gessa

Post by gessa »

John in Louisiana wrote:Another song from the James Hunter Six........

When I go to a festival, that's the kind of thing I like to listen to early evening time. Nice