Gianni Alioski

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Gianni Alioski

Post by Cjay »

Another defeat and another twitterfest of criticism for Alioski :hammer:

Cant help but feel that its over the top and if anything he is a victim of expectation.

The YouTube videos of Messi like stuff, the fantastic season, the "bigger club " interest.

Not suggesting that he has been fantastic but the main 2 suggestions to replace him are Stuart Dallas and Kemar Roofe.
Roofe- 51 games 6 goals in Championship.
His best season was at a lower level then Ali and he still hasnt shown that he is a consistent threat at this level.
Stuart Dallas - 120 games 15goals in the Championship. While improved this season still dont see him as a potential match winner, his stats show that he isnt a threat at a consistent level and is more a jack of all trades.

One fantastic season for Alioski and he was strongly linked with Leicester if Mahrez went. He turned down the swiss champions and Champions league football to come here.

You can see he is targeted because teams see him as a threat, potential match winner, his presence on the pitch worries teams.

He has shown that he has quality, matches where Wood missed he put in some great crosses and going back over match threads he was praised and "if only we had a number 9" was common.

Some players seem to be more immune to criticism and think thats because those players are average so often it goes unnoticed, then when they do have a good game they are suddenly the answer, Dallas and Roofe for example "put in a shift" and they should start all of a sudden.

I'm a huge fan of Alioski and remember when he signed those who knew more about him said he was a huge coup and expected him to go to a higher level.

Now we as a team are in poor form and because so much was expected of him he is getting a lot of the twitter spiel because he isnt beating 5 men and scoring a worldie.

Sorry for the rant but from those "in the know" we pulled of a shock by managing to sign him and people need to remember those early performances where he really did shine and understand he is new to this country, this division and it takes time to adapt. He played so well early on that people expect that to be the norm.

He should be praised for showing so much early promise and given the benifit of the doubt, criticised for not playing well of course, but "he was terrible" all over twitter isnt fair. Especially when the 2 players who people keep calling for have had longer to adapt and still havent proven themselves on a consistent basis.

End of rant

:oops:

Last edited by Cjay on Mon Aug 01, 2022 8:24 pm, edited 9 times in total.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Gianni Alioski

Post by The Subhuman »

Played on the left mostly today didn't he? Looks better on the right but skill players are notoriously inconsistent at this level. You have to take the rough with the jaw dropping. Happy to have him continue and sort out our central defence, central midfield and he becomes a weapon
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
gessa

Post by gessa »

Should have cushioned that header early on to Lasogga for 1-0 other tjan that not much worse than any of the others.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

gessa wrote:Should have cushioned that header early on to Lasogga for 1-0 other tjan that not much worse than any of the others.
He should and cant for the life of me see why he didnt seeing as he did exactly that for Wood, practically identical situation
Signed

King Cjay

Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

faaip wrote:Played on the left mostly today didn't he? Looks better on the right but skill players are notoriously inconsistent at this level. You have to take the rough with the jaw dropping. Happy to have him continue and sort out our central defence, central midfield and he becomes a weapon
Agreed.
Twitter abuse would suggest he is one of our biggest problems.

Far from the truth imo
Signed

King Cjay

Durly
First Team
First Team

Post by Durly »

He'll come Good, I'm sure. He clearly has potential but I think he's getting a bit frustrated not getting decisions from refs that he'd probably have got in Switzerland. As I said on the match thread, I'd be inclined to put him on the bench for Reading and bring him on as an impact sub.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Alioski is a luxury player & should be used sparingly

Impact sub for me too
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

1964white wrote:Alioski is a luxury player & should be used sparingly

Impact sub for me too
Maybe a spell as a sub to take some of the pressure of would do him good.

But cant see who replaces him.
Roofe and Dallas dont seem to be the answer and Sacko is still and enigma :duno:

Give grot a shot or Cibicki?
Signed

King Cjay

Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Durly wrote:He'll come Good, I'm sure. He clearly has potential but I think he's getting a bit frustrated not getting decisions from refs that he'd probably have got in Switzerland. As I said on the match thread, I'd be inclined to put him on the bench for Reading and bring him on as an impact sub.
Doesnt seem to cope with the physicality as well as Saiz has.
Fatigue maybe?
It all started after the last international break.
Signed

King Cjay

1964white

Post by 1964white »

Cjay wrote:Maybe a spell as a sub to take some of the pressure of would do him good.

But cant see who replaces him.
Roofe and Dallas dont seem to be the answer and Sacko is still and enigma :duno:

Give grot a shot or Cibicki?
I'd give Sacko another go
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

1964white wrote:I'd give Sacko another go

Out of desperation? Didn't see anything today that said he's back to form
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Based on his cameo today cant see that being an improvement.

Id try Cibicki, seems an intelligent player who played a few nice passes against burnley, bit of pace to.

If Ali is dropped prefer a chance for Cibicki
Signed

King Cjay

LUFC 1966
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by LUFC 1966 »

1964white wrote:Alioski is a luxury player & should be used sparingly

Impact sub for me too

:tup:
gessa

Post by gessa »

It's not that bad yet.....surely
1964white

Post by 1964white »

gessa wrote:It's not that bad yet.....surely
:lol: :lol:
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Played for Macedonia in there draw with Italy, should come back full of confidence :-D
Signed

King Cjay

1964white

Post by 1964white »

Cjay wrote:Played for Macedonia in there draw with Italy, should come back full of confidence :-D
Should come back knackered :lol:
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Same old story from the moronic element of fans supporting this club writing a player off after a handful of appearances.

1) He has never played in this league before and has been kicked from pillar to post with no protection from refs.
2) He has never played with any of our other players prior to this season.
3) Although his english is pretty good it is not perfect and as such he is having to try to communicate with other players many of who don't speak english or have english as a second language too.

But heck no cos he has had a couple of quiet matches write him off despite the glimpses of quality he has shown us which no doubt he will never be able to do ever again.

Support the team and maybe they will actually play well.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

weasel wrote:Same old story from the moronic element of fans supporting this club writing a player off after a handful of appearances.

1) He has never played in this league before and has been kicked from pillar to post with no protection from refs.
2) He has never played with any of our other players prior to this season.
3) Although his english is pretty good it is not perfect and as such he is having to try to communicate with other players many of who don't speak english or have english as a second language too.

But heck no cos he has had a couple of quiet matches write him off despite the glimpses of quality he has shown us which no doubt he will never be able to do ever again.

Support the team and maybe they will actually play well.
Who has written him off ?

Fans judge players on performances, he's had a couple of good ones so far with more to come hopefully.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

1964white wrote:Who has written him off ?

Fans judge players on performances, he's had a couple of good ones so far with more to come hopefully.
Couple of excellent games, couple of quiet games and a few average games - but to hear some comments you would think he was awful. His shot v Forest showed what he is capable shooting wise and given his record in Switzerland was no fluke. For years we have been crying out for more pace in this team and he has it in abundance. Unlike Sacko, despite his recent improvement, there is an end product even if sometimes he will pick the wrong option. Given time I feel he will be an excellent player for us but it does take more than 10 matches for a player to acclimatise.