Paying the price

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Paying the price

Post by Cjay »

For trying to be to clever . :duno:

So if figures are to be believed then we got about £20-23mill in transfer fees this summer;
Charlie Taylor-£5-7m
Liam Bridcutt-£1m
Chris Wood-£15m

Then we spent;
Hadi Sacko £1.5m
Pontus Jansson £3.5m
Mateusz Klich £1.5m
Felix Wiedwald £500k
Ezgjan Alioski Undisclosed (rumoured about £2.5m)
Samuel Sáiz £3m
Caleb Ekuban £500k
Andy Lonergan Free
Paweł Cibicki £1.5m
Vurnon Anita Free
Jay Roy Grot £1.5m (500k upfront)

So if my maths is right thats about £15m spent.

£5-8m profit, not a bad thing, searching Europe for hidden gems rather then paying stupid prices, again not a bad thing.

But are we now seeing the downside of our recruitment?

Tried to be clever with our money, but should Radz and Orta have bit the bullet and paid Bristol City the money they wanted for Aden Flint and Joe Bryan?
According to Whoscored stats Joe Bryan is rated as the best Left Back in the division this season, Flint one of the two best center backs so far, with Bamba interestingly.

Or should they have stuck with there foreign policy and paid the reported £4m for Filip Helander, who is performing solidly for Bologna in Italy now.

Or, is this just a minor blip and we will get back to the side who kept 6 clean sheets in a row and march on till January where we will have a healthy transfer kitty available ?
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Paying the price

Post by 1964white »

We should have invested in a top CB & LB during the summer.

Every Leeds fan knows this apart from our new owners

Another decent striker would have been handy as well.

I don't think Grot & Ekuban are ready yet !
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Saiz was a snip

Samuel will be playing in the premiership next season
gessa

Post by gessa »

I understand there is supposedly better value abroad but they are higher risk than home players imo, a thought at the time and still do, a mixture of the 2 would have been better . False economy and all that.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Cjay wrote:
Then we spent;
Hadi Sacko £1.5m
Pontus Jansson £3.5m
Mateusz Klich £1.5m
Felix Wiedwald £500k
Ezgjan Alioski Undisclosed (rumoured about £2.5m)
Samuel Sáiz £3m
Caleb Ekuban £500k
Andy Lonergan Free
Paweł Cibicki £1.5m
Vurnon Anita Free
Jay Roy Grot £1.5m (500k upfront)
We also brought in loans/freebie signings Pennington, Shaughnessy, Borthwick-Jackson & Gomes

Out of those 15 players above only 3 started last Saturday :roll:
BobHirst
Manager
Manager

Post by BobHirst »

1964white wrote:Saiz was a snip

Samuel will be playing in the premiership next season
Ah...so you're that confident we are getting promoted this season! :wink:
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

I wanted Adam Flint, seemed a direct replacement for Bartley. Captain material and scores goals, no brainer imo
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
1964white

Post by 1964white »

faaip wrote:I wanted Adam Flint, seemed a direct replacement for Bartley. Captain material and scores goals, no brainer imo
Missed a trick there mate, too busy looking at loan signings who had no chance of playing for their respective premiership clubs who are now struggling to find a place in our team

I'll have a first hand look of Adam Flint on Saturday
danhirons
Manager
Manager

Post by danhirons »

1964white wrote:We also brought in loans/freebie signings Pennington, Shaughnessy, Borthwick-Jackson & Gomes

Out of those 15 players above only 3 started last Saturday :roll:
This.

Saiz is covering up a load of average/failed signings. Appreciate some are with an eye to the future but think we’ve signed a load of crap in cibicki, grot, ekuban, sacko, borthwick, klich etc
1964white

Post by 1964white »

danhirons wrote:This.

Saiz is covering up a load of average/failed signings. Appreciate some are with an eye to the future but think we’ve signed a load of crap in cibicki, grot, ekuban, sacko, borthwick, klich etc
We seem to have gone for the scattergun approach.

Saiz & Pontus are quality signings at championship level, these two were the only two outfield players who started on Saturday. The rest is Monk's team in the main !
lufc1304
Superstar
Superstar
Twitter: @DrGonzo2411

Post by lufc1304 »

F**k sake, some of the players now being consigned to the failure bin were being raved about a month ago!! Every signing is a gamble; some work, some don't. But to write off players who haven't had a much of a chance yet is a bit premature, imo. Yes, we should have signed a CB (Flint would have been my choice too with Bartley seemingly uninterested/unavailable/too expensive) and a LB, and that fault lies squarely with TC and Orta. But I personally think the current squad has more talent (some of it untapped, granted) than Monk's had last season. We're neither world-beaters, nor are we sh*te, we are a work in progress who will get better as the season progresses
"When the going gets weird, the weird get professional!" Hunter S Thompson
1964white

Post by 1964white »

lufc1304 wrote:F**k sake, some of the players now being consigned to the failure bin were being raved about a month ago!! Every signing is a gamble; some work, some don't. But to write off players who haven't had a much of a chance yet is a bit premature, imo. Yes, we should have signed a CB (Flint would have been my choice too with Bartley seemingly uninterested/unavailable/too expensive) and a LB, and that fault lies squarely with TC and Orta. But I personally think the current squad has more talent (some of it untapped, granted) than Monk's had last season. We're neither world-beaters, nor are we sh*te, we are a work in progress who will get better as the season progresses
Agree with that, patience is required :tup:
YorkshireSquare
Administrator
Administrator
Twitter: @motforum

Post by YorkshireSquare »

I think we have signed reasonably well over the summer.

Why we didnt go and get a centre half though I'm not sure. Lacking a captain this year too.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Shields53 wrote:I think we have signed reasonably well over the summer.

Why we didnt go and get a centre half though I'm not sure. Lacking a captain this year too
Definitely :tup:
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

lufc1304 wrote:F**k sake, some of the players now being consigned to the failure bin were being raved about a month ago!! Every signing is a gamble; some work, some don't. But to write off players who haven't had a much of a chance yet is a bit premature, imo. Yes, we should have signed a CB (Flint would have been my choice too with Bartley seemingly uninterested/unavailable/too expensive) and a LB, and that fault lies squarely with TC and Orta. But I personally think the current squad has more talent (some of it untapped, granted) than Monk's had last season. We're neither world-beaters, nor are we sh*te, we are a work in progress who will get better as the season progresses

like, like, like, like, like

plus Klich has looked useful everytime he's played.
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Gurj
Manager
Manager

Post by Gurj »

Klich needs an extended run. Played well v Burnley, although had that nightmare at Cardiff losing possession on the touchline for their first goal and we didnt recover thereafter. That poor night shouldnt restrict him just to Carabao Cup action. Lets see how he and Vieira could do as a combination perhaps ?
LEEDS AND FOREVER PROUD TO BE !!
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Gurj wrote:Klich needs an extended run. Played well v Burnley, although had that nightmare at Cardiff losing possession on the touchline for their first goal and we didnt recover thereafter. That poor night shouldnt restrict him just to Carabao Cup action. Lets see how he and Vieira could do as a combination perhaps ?
I would still play Shaughnessy as a holding midfielder

Anita who's natural position is in midfield is another option TC has never deployed
NorfolkWhite
Manager
Manager

Post by NorfolkWhite »

100% this :tup:

Of the signings we made I think only Felix has looked like a waste - Lonners for free however looks very useful.
Gurj
Manager
Manager

Post by Gurj »

1964white wrote:I would still play Shaughnessy as a holding midfielder

Anita who's natural position is in midfield is another option TC has never deployed
Yes we have a few options to consider. Need TC to work out what is the best combination moving forward as this was something Monk was incapable of doing as we saw us completely fall apart towards end of last season when he wouldnt play O'Kane !!
LEEDS AND FOREVER PROUD TO BE !!
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Klich is a 6 footer which is plenty tall enough for a CMF. O Kane 5'8, Kalvin 5'10 and if they lack height then Anita' 5'5 isn't cutting it either.