Jay-Roy Grot

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Jay-Roy Grot

Post by Cjay »

Seems to be attracting quite a bit of criticism. :cry:

Not entirely sure why.

He has started 2 games, against Burnley, 8th in the Premier League, and Leicester, Champions 2 years ago.

Against Burnley he was against, James Tarkowski, a regular in the Premier League this season, against Leicester he was against Alexander Dragovic, played quite often in the Bundesliga last season, and £17m Harry Maguire.

Apart from those two starts, he has been limited to cameos, average minutes played being 16 minutes.

Personally, think its a bit unfair to criticize him at the moment, first half vs Leicester he did well, the main chance i have seen some say "well he should have scored, Wood or Lasogga would have". But i dont think there would have been a chance at all with those two, he out muscled someone on the half way line, drove on, passed to Roofe, sprinted on to the return pass, ran away from the defence and had a shot saved, Wood and Lasogga probably wouldn't have had the pace to do that imo.

He is raw, at 19 most players are, but like that chance, he showed strength, pace, anticipation, 2 of those are natural, but one of those is coached or can be, and i think that shows promise.

George Hirst, very highly rated, Sheffield Wednesday fans desperate to see him given a chance, Leicester and us rumored to have looked at him, but his pedigree is solely based on youth football, he has 0 first team experience.

Grot does, a decent record in Dutch football, despite his tender years, he is still a young boy (he is bigger then most fully grown men) but he is just a kid starting out, he isnt going to be the finished article.

Theres debate that he shouldn't be in the first team, i think he should, there have been glimpses, in those cup games, in his cameos, fleeting glimpses, beating a man, flicking it on, holding it up, not perfect, but just little bits, it cant be easy for him, he doesn't play in the u23s, so all he has are these little cameos, then he is thrown against Premier League opposition.

And its worth remembering, Fiorentina flew him to Florence, they wanted him, just couldnt agree a few with N.E.C, you could say "well it wasnt much money, cant be good" but Fiorentina dont spend huge sums on young players, they are strict about that.

8th in Serie A, lots of talented young players, Giovanni Simeone is there number 9, (Diegos son), they have Hagi Jnr, Chiesa Jnr, they know a good young player when they see one.

And they saw one in Jay-Roy Grot :-D
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
Gandalf
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Jay-Roy Grot

Post by Gandalf »

He did enough in the first half at Leicester to show he has some potential. The only problem was that his batteries ran out at half time. I think that a game or two in the U23's wouldn't do him any harm, and then use from the bench. Cibicki needs to go back to the U23's full time for now, I don't think he has 1st team prospects yet, even on the bench.
Delapsus Resurgam - When I fall I shall rise!
lufc1304
Superstar
Superstar
Twitter: @DrGonzo2411

Post by lufc1304 »

Great post, Cjay, and totally agree. Unfortunately, Leeds fans (like many other fans) can be a right shower of sh*te, who decide, sometimes arbitrarily, that a player isn't good enough and slate him mercilessly. It doesn't surprise me that we lose a lot of our younger talent; whilst they might get dazzled by the Prem bright lights, in some instances they are almost hounded out by a section of our fanbase. Grot is young and raw, that much is obvious, but I've seen enough in his brief cameos to think, like you, that there's a lot of potential in the lad. But he needs game time, both for fitness and confidence. A decent run in the U23s and he could be knocking on the door
"When the going gets weird, the weird get professional!" Hunter S Thompson
Ratscoot
Manager
Manager

Post by Ratscoot »

I like him but think he’s one for the future, needs a good run in the under 23s or a loan out to either a lower Championship club or a League 1 club were he can learn the English game and get match fit
A bumble bee under the laws of physics shouldnt be able to fly, but it does because no one has told it that it can't
Crude
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Crude »

Good post Cjay. Hadn't had many chances to see him. Needs time, the Championship is a hard nut to crack for alot of foreign players. And he is ONLY 19.
RIP Twiggster, March 5, 2023

Chris & Kevin | Never Forgotten | April 5, 2000

Gary Andrew Speed, MBE — Always In Our Hearts, 1969-2011
danhirons
Manager
Manager

Post by danhirons »

No need for criticism but to say as I think you did earlier in the season that he will be a big player this season for us is nonsense. Going to be a good few years before he's anywhere near being first choice cf for us. Unlikely to ever happen to be honest. Wouldn't be surprised to see him disappear into the abyss in a few years. But no way we should be judging him as to his long term potential at this stage
60sUnited
First Team
First Team

Post by 60sUnited »

I am sure he will disappear into the abyss, there must be dozens of his type roaming around the leagues. No criticism of our transfer gurus cos its really difficult to sign quality on the cheap. It would seem that Lassoga and Alioski may fall into this category after the last few performances.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

danhirons wrote:No need for criticism but to say as I think you did earlier in the season that he will be a big player this season for us is nonsense. Going to be a good few years before he's anywhere near being first choice cf for us. Unlikely to ever happen to be honest. Wouldn't be surprised to see him disappear into the abyss in a few years. But no way we should be judging him as to his long term potential at this stage
I did say he would be a big player.

That may be a slight exaggeration, should have said important. In the sense that if Lasogga gets injured or is in poor form, he seems to be our main back up.

I'd be surprised to see him disappear into the abyss tbh, i think he will go on to have a good career, here or elsewhere.
Signed

King Cjay

Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

60sUnited wrote:I am sure he will disappear into the abyss, there must be dozens of his type roaming around the leagues. No criticism of our transfer gurus cos its really difficult to sign quality on the cheap. It would seem that Lassoga and Alioski may fall into this category after the last few performances.
Of 6ft4 19 year olds built like a heavyweight boxer but with a decent turn of pace?

His natural gifts are very rare, height, build and pace, as groundwork goes for a striker you cant get any better.

In that respect he is Didier Drogba like, last striker i remember with those natural gifts. At 19 years old, Didier hadnt even signed his first professional contract. By the time he got a move to Ligue 1 he was in his early 20s with a pretty poor record in the French 2nd tier.

Not saying i think Grot will be the next Drogba, but showing how a player with natural gifts can thrive later on despite showing limited ability in there early days.
Signed

King Cjay

60sUnited
First Team
First Team

Post by 60sUnited »

CJay, I agree that its possible for a player like Grot to blossom and I suppose in fairness he hasn't had any sort of a run in our team to show if he is any good and he probably won't get one ! But I think that as fans there is a tendency to over hype our signings when in fact, of the recent batch of signings only Saiz so far has proved to be a good one, imo !
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Grot is nowhere near ready for the rigours of the Championship yet

He is still very young & raw, he requires time to develop into hopefully a decent player for us
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

60sUnited wrote:CJay, I agree that its possible for a player like Grot to blossom and I suppose in fairness he hasn't had any sort of a run in our team to show if he is any good and he probably won't get one ! But I think that as fans there is a tendency to over hype our signings when in fact, of the recent batch of signings only Saiz so far has proved to be a good one, imo !
Thats basically what i was trying to say :-D

Harsh to criticise someone based on his limited game time.
Signed

King Cjay

Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Agree with those who say he needs some u23 time, that would help him improve his match sharpness.
Signed

King Cjay

The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Roofe should have been the one to come on last night ...was he even on the bench?
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

I'd start Grot against Derby, showed enough in that 1st half against Leicester, give him a start against a Championship team, see how he gets on.
Signed

King Cjay

Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/hell- ... o-striker/

Called up to the Dutch u20s, some idiot comments but lot of support to.

Well done Jay :clap2: :scarf2:
Signed

King Cjay

Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Didnt cover himself in glory . Still feel very sorry for him, a few minutes here and there is no way for a player to improve.

Was he booed when he came on? TC was asked about the reaction from a minority.

Didnt hear it myself . But if he was . Idiots . No need for that
Signed

King Cjay

1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Cjay wrote:Didnt cover himself in glory . Still feel very sorry for him, a few minutes here and there is no way for a player to improve.

Was he booed when he came on? TC was asked about the reaction from a minority.

Didnt hear it myself . But if he was . Idiots . No need for that
I keep insisting Grot is not ready for first team football, he needs wrapping up & sent to bed on a loan move elsewhere
I feel sorry for lad as TC shouldn't be putting him in the lions den

I don't think he was booed as he entered the pitch but there were lots of grunts & groans when he made a few errors & then a sarcastic cheer when he got something right

Shouts from fans around me in the kop

"Is he actually a footballer"

"Get him off & we'll play with ten men" when he was down with a head injury

"He's sh*te get him off"

Not good for the young lads confidence !
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

1964white wrote:I keep insisting Grot is not ready for first team football, he needs wrapping up & sent to bed on a loan move elsewhere
I feel sorry for lad as TC shouldn't be putting him in the lions den

I don't think he was booed as he entered the pitch but there were lots of grunts & groans when he made a few errors & then a sarcastic cheer when he got something right

Shouts from fans around me in the kop

"He's sh*te get him off"

He isnt and its a shame for him.

He is being criticised when its hard enough for an experienced player to make an impact of the bench for 15mins.

He's 19 and he needs protecting, like Ferguson used to do (orrible man).
Signed

King Cjay

weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

1964white wrote: Shouts from fans around me in the kop

"He's sh*te get him off"

Such stupidity. For all he may not be first team standard yet he has all the attributes to potentially be a great player at some point and destroying his confidence will not help - and certainly not make him likely to stay loyal to Leeds if he does fulfil his potential. Don't forget that even the likes of Bale and Ronaldo were written off by large sections of fans before things clicked for them and they became world class players.