Video referee

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Video referee

Post by whiteswan »

Tonights friendly between England and Germany will have a video referee. Both the English and German respective governing bodies requested this. Where do we all stand regarding using a video ref?
becchio bear
Superstar
Superstar
Twitter: @Becchiobear

Re: Video referee

Post by becchio bear »

I think it is long overdue. Rugby has had it for years and it works very well. I don't buy this crap about it will delay the football game etc the players do that already very well lol rolling around on the floor after diving, taking ages to walk off the pitch, surrounding the ref to voice their opinion........ :bear:
I'm going back to 505, I saw them at Sheffield and they were amazing.
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

becchio bear wrote:I think it is long overdue. Rugby has had it for years and it works very well. I don't buy this crap about it will delay the football game etc the players do that already very well lol rolling around on the floor after diving, taking ages to walk off the pitch, surrounding the ref to voice their opinion........ :bear:
Totally agree bb. As you say rugby has it, also cricket and tennis and it doesn't disturb those sports at all....in fact, makes them more interesting in my opinion. Spot on as well about the players delaying tactics.... :tup: ....that should also be sorted out!
gessa

Post by gessa »

Long overdue imo.
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Post by HarryofOz »

Has been used in the A-league since last season (though not from the start) and has worked well. In all the time that it has been used, I can only think of one VAR decision that took any length of time and that involved the referee looking at a penalty decision on the screen.
Un Marcelo Bielsa, solo hay un Marcelo Bielsa. Gracias Marcello. Marsching on together.
becchio bear
Superstar
Superstar

Post by becchio bear »

whiteswan wrote:Totally agree bb. As you say rugby has it, also cricket and tennis and it doesn't disturb those sports at all....in fact, makes them more interesting in my opinion. Spot on as well about the players delaying tactics.... :tup: ....that should also be sorted out!

Yes it should. The captain only is supposed to approach the ref, anyone else should be carded, that would soon sort them out!! video ref finding cheating my diving should also result in a card, might make the players think twice, the game would flow better and be fairer. :bear:
Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Norm »

becchio bear wrote:

Yes it should. The captain only is supposed to approach the ref, anyone else should be carded, that would soon sort them out!! video ref finding cheating my diving should also result in a card, might make the players think twice, the game would flow better and be fairer. :bear:
Top post - sick of it myself.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

becchio bear wrote:I think it is long overdue. Rugby has had it for years and it works very well. I don't buy this crap about it will delay the football game etc the players do that already very well lol rolling around on the floor after diving, taking ages to walk off the pitch, surrounding the ref to voice their opinion........ :bear:
Couldn't agree with you more young lady :tup:
beer belly bert
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by beer belly bert »

works well in rugby ,tennis and the cricket , would sort the cheats like Ronaldo out and stop the diving . :tup:
I could stop drinking but im not a quitter
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Norm wrote:Top post - sick of it myself.

I'm struggling with this...are we saying we're going to look at every challenge where a player goes to ground in case someone dives ...What's that about 30 times a game plus...I think we'd be heading to American football type game breaks where it can take minutes to come to the correct decision.

Watching the Samoa/Scotland game it took the TMO 3 minutes for the Samoa try ...

Think it may make a lot of defenders tackle shy too.
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
becchio bear
Superstar
Superstar

Post by becchio bear »

faaip wrote:I'm struggling with this...are we saying we're going to look at every challenge where a player goes to ground in case someone dives ...What's that about 30 times a game plus...I think we'd be heading to American football type game breaks where it can take minutes to come to the correct decision.

Watching the Samoa/Scotland game it took the TMO 3 minutes for the Samoa try ...

Think it may make a lot of defenders tackle shy too.
It would only take a few times for the players to realise the refs mean business!!! :bear:
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

It really won't.
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
becchio bear
Superstar
Superstar

Post by becchio bear »

faaip wrote:It really won't.
why? :bear:
Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Norm »

It may at least help to get correct decisions so it's worth it for that alone.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

faaip wrote:It really won't.
Surely a correct decision is better than a wrong one even if it does add-on time to a game

These days the players waste more time with their antics falling over at will feigning injury in an effort to run down the clock

How many times have I witnessed a player who is due to be substituted quickly head to the opposite side of the pitch & then slowly amble off the field in their pursuit to take as much time out of a game as they possibly can. I would make an amendment to the current rule of the referee adding on 30 seconds when a substitution is made :

Added on time should be at least one minute for every substitution
gotagetz
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by gotagetz »

Oh yes and why not? One of my pet hates is a dive for a penalty. Look at ashley young for mufc he's got it down to a fine art. It's cheating in my book and costly for other teams.....