Friday Lunchtime Debate/ Grayson/Giles/Pirlo

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Friday Lunchtime Debate/ Grayson/Giles/Pirlo

Post by Cjay »

Simon Grayson, he has a place in the hearts of all Leeds fans, some more then others it seems.
2 promotions under his belt, still young in managerial terms, name always gets thrown about when we need a new manager.

In the future, would you welcome Simon back?

Johnny Giles turned 77 on the 6th (Monday), my dad talked about him a lot when i was growing up, far before my time, Happy Birthday though .

How good was Johnny Giles?
What would he be worth in todays inflated market?
Finally, for someone like me who never saw him live, is there a modern player you could compare to?

Andrea Pirlo retired officially recently.
Just made everything look easy, similar to Xavi, wonderful footballer.
Surprisingly, he was in his early 20s before anyone realised how exceptional he was, Carlo Ancelotti started playing him just in front of the back 4, and the rest is history.
Where does Pirlo rank then. in decades to come when people look back,world class, or just very good?
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
lufc1304
Superstar
Superstar
Twitter: @DrGonzo2411

Re: Friday Lunchtime Debate/ Grayson/Giles/Pirlo

Post by lufc1304 »

I like Larry (even though I mightn't trust him with my sister!), and wish him well in whatever he does, but not sure I'd want him back. We played good stuff under him, but we couldn't defend a wendy house with him at the helm. Nothing I've seen since suggests he's improved in that area, so it's a no from me.

I was too young to see Johnny in the flesh, but even from old footage, you could see what a good player he was. My dad says he was one of the best he ever saw play; would give you all you wanted of the rough stuff, but could turn on a sixpence and pass the ball like it was laser-guided. In today's market, you'd start the bidding for Giles at at least £50m.

Pirlo, world class. Effortlessly talented footballer, also cool as f**k!! Him and Paolo Maldini are the two classiest players I've seen in the modern era
"When the going gets weird, the weird get professional!" Hunter S Thompson
Ratscoot
Manager
Manager

Post by Ratscoot »

Love Larry was sad when the Pantomime Villain Bates shafted him and eventually got rid of him, however we did play some attractive, attacking football but nope we couldn’t defend and I haven’t seen anything since he left to say that’s changed and Sunderland knocked the attractive, attacking bit out of him as well, apart from he last game :roflmao:

Would I want him back probably not but wouldn’t be too disappointed if he came back, well until he let us down by shagging lufc1304’s sister that is

Giles a fantastic player all you could ever want from a midfielder and the best manager we never had, if Coutinho is worth £100m then start the bidding at £120m a far better player IMO

Pirlo the Italian Johnny Giles say no more
A bumble bee under the laws of physics shouldnt be able to fly, but it does because no one has told it that it can't
lufc1304
Superstar
Superstar
Twitter: @DrGonzo2411

Post by lufc1304 »

Ratscoot wrote:Love Larry was sad when the Pantomime Villain Bates shafted him and eventually got rid of him, however we did play some attractive, attacking football but nope we couldn’t defend and I haven’t seen anything since he left to say that’s changed and Sunderland knocked the attractive, attacking bit out of him as well, apart from he last game :roflmao:

Would I want him back probably not but wouldn’t be too disappointed if he came back, well until he let us down by shagging lufc1304’s sister that is

Giles a fantastic player all you could ever want from a midfielder and the best manager we never had, if Coutinho is worth £100m then start the bidding at £120m a far better player IMO

Pirlo the Italian Johnny Giles say no more
I don't actually have one, but....... :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:
"When the going gets weird, the weird get professional!" Hunter S Thompson
gessa

Post by gessa »

In the future, would you welcome Simon back?
Nothing against him but he just lacks that bit extra, at present anyway. Once had a very nice chat with his dad over a coffee in a bar in Lisbon, had some very uncomplementary things to say about Bates. No surprise there.

How good was Johnny Giles?
What would he be worth in todays inflated market?
Finally, for someone like me who never saw him live, is there a modern player you could compare
Giles was up there with the best, had it all. As Ratscoot said earlier, great manager, did a fantastic job at West Brom.

Where does Pirlo rank then. in decades to come when people look back,world class, or just very good?[/quote] World class, no Rudolph Austin but near enough.
Ratscoot
Manager
Manager

Post by Ratscoot »

lufc1304 wrote:I don't actually have one, but....... :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:
Makes it even funnier :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:
A bumble bee under the laws of physics shouldnt be able to fly, but it does because no one has told it that it can't
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Cjay wrote:In the future, would you welcome Simon back?
Simple answer....No!
Cjay wrote:How good was Johnny Giles
Top class, wonderful player. Up there with the elite imo !
Cjay wrote:What would he be worth in todays inflated market
The highest going rate possible
Cjay wrote:Finally, for someone like me who never saw him live, is there a modern player you could compare to?
Can't think of one. Giles was hard, today's players are soft. There is no way Johnny would have rolled around like a dying swan feigning injury
Cjay wrote:Where does Pirlo rank then. in decades to come when people look back,world class, or just very good?
Top class modern day footballer, a joy to watch
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

1964white wrote:Simple answer....No!
Are you sureeeeeeeee :-D

Top class, wonderful player. Up there with the elite imo !

English football elite, or World elite, Maradona Pele Messi etc.
The highest going rate possible

Can't think of one. Giles was hard, today's players are soft. There is no way Johnny would have rolled around like a dying swan feigning injury
Zidane? Not what you would call a hard man, but no shrinking violet?

Top class modern day footballer, a joy to watch
Agreed!!
Signed

King Cjay

1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Cjay wrote:Agreed!!
I'd rate three Leeds players as world class, John Charles, Billy Bremner & Johnny Giles

Had any of those three played in a top international team, they wouldn't have looked out of place tbh

I doubt we'll see the likes of John, Billy & Johnny at ER ever again, they had everything in their locker
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

1964white wrote:I'd rate three Leeds players as world class, John Charles, Billy Bremner & Johnny Giles

Had any of those three played in a top international team, they wouldn't have looked out of place tbh

I doubt we'll see the likes of John, Billy & Johnny at ER ever again, they had everything in their locker
Seen clips of them all, class players.

For John Charles to be so legendary at a club like Juve speaks volumes.
Signed

King Cjay