Thursday's Breakfast Debate - Orta/Hugill/Pontus

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Thursday's Breakfast Debate - Orta/Hugill/Pontus

Post by 1964white »

Good Morning everyone

Victor Orta has revealed that a spell at Cultural Leonesa will help Ideguchi adapt to the demands of Championship football.

Orta said: “We chose this moment to sign Yosuke because if he goes to the World Cup and does as well as we believe he can, then the competition for his signature would have been much higher.

“It is important that we anticipate the right moment to sign a player, we felt that waiting another six months could have been a risk – as we knew approaches had already been made by clubs in France and Germany and we have taken our opportunity.

“Yosuke has been in pre-season as the Japanese league ended in December and at this moment in time we already have good competition for places in our midfield.

“We have seen good performances from Eunan O’Kane, Ronaldo Vieira and Kalvin Phillips, with Mateuz Klich also available for selection – therefore it might be hard for Yosuke to get the game time he needs in the build up to the World Cup.

“The Segunda Division in Spain is physical like the Championship and I believe that players can adapt to life in the Championship a little easier if they have experienced this league in Spain, as we have seen with Samuel Saiz.”

Has Orta justified this loan move with his explanation?

Leeds United are reportedly lining up an offer for Preston North End striker Jordan Hugill.

Preston are thought to be demanding more than £12million for the powerful centre-forward.

Is Hugill worth that amount?

Pontus Jansson has also been short listed as the EFL Skybet Championship as well as the fans player of the month for December.

Also nominated for the award are Scott Carson (Derby County), Jamie Paterson (Bristol City) and Romaine Sawyers (Brentford).

We will find out the winner on Friday.

Do we think Jansson is back to his best?
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Yes although from my experience the Spanish 2nd division in Spain is nowhere near the physicality of the championship. The game I watched between Albacete and Lorca the players were going to ground if someone sneezed near them. It was a very stop start game with the ref blowing for everything it may have been an exception but I don't think so. That said it makes a lot of sense to loan him there is TC would only see him a 5th or 6th choice at present as the lad has never played outside of Japan (barring international appearances) so it makes sense for him to get a decent number of games under his belt.

Is Hugill worth £12m Nope. For £12m you are buying a player that is far from the finished article and £12m is a big gamble on a player that hasn't exactly set the world alight yet at this level. Could be the next Chris Wood but no guarantees and as shown with Wood it took him a long time to come to fruition. If Leeds were to spend this sort of money they'd have been better off keeping Wood or buying someone with a proven record at this level, admittedly this would probably be a Rhodes/Nugent type signing but you do know what you are getting with them.

Hopefully - he has played well for a few matches now and the old adage is that class is permanent and form is temporary so based on that and his performances last year the hope, and my belief, is that the form he is showing now is his real form. The key piece to our defence.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Sort of, although i, like Weasal, don't think Spains Second league is close to the Championship in terms of physicality or quality. I'd prefer we sent him on loan to a league 1 or 2 club, but seeing as our investors and the Spanish clubs are the same (I'm convinced of that) then i guess it makes sense from a business perspective seeing as Cultural Leonesa are fighting relegation. But, all that being said, our central midfield area isnt as strong as Orta implies, we constantly lose the midfield battle without Vieira. Phillips is hit and miss, Klich i feel is a better player then Phillips but can hardly get a game and O'Kane is average on a good day and totally anonymous most of the time. Dont like the subtle insult to Klich either, "good performances from the first 3, then oh he is available to". Rther see Klich start and get a proper run of games then suffer weak and ineffective O'Kane and Phillips till Vieira is back.

No, he is a good player, better then we have. But for all the praise he gets his record is something like 18 goals in 80 something games at this level. Spending big money on someone largely unproven and certainly isn't proven as a 20 goal a season striker is madness. If we have that to spend id rather we took some calculated risks, rather then putting all our eggs in one basket. Marriot, Mahi and Maddison. All 3 could probably be got for about £12mil and certainly 2 of the trio. Yes there unproven at this level, but its not putting your eggs into one basket.

Hopefully, we need him to be, perhaps a natural left back with Berardi to right will help him. He has found some form, and that is good news.

Interestingly, take out 3 howlers, 1 from felix (over his head) one from Lonners (dropped it) and the Ayling penalty that should have been a free kick the other way, take those out and we have the joint 4th best defence in the league.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
Gandalf
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Gandalf »

Not really. Vieira is injured, O'Kane and Phillips are out of form, and Klich hardly plays. Having him train here, and maybe get the odd game from the bench, would help him adapt much easier. The language problem would also be solved. He can concentrate on learning English, rather than Spanish, then English. I can't see that sending him to a struggling Spanish 2nd division side can help at all, other than to placate our Aspire partners.

Absolutely not. He is no better than we already have, other than to bully defenders with his strength. He has no pace, little trickery, and his goal record is abysmal. There is a reason why he spent his formative years bouncing around the non-league circuit, and before somebody mentions Jamie Vardy, he was a complete one off, and still only cost Leicester 1 Million from Fleetwood. Add in the asking prices for Maddison (a show pony) and Marriott (a one season wonder, like Roofe), and you can see why Orta prefers to look abroad for comparable talent.

Yes he is, and signing a proper left back may help the defence overall, and Pontus in particular. It was Pontus who was bullied by Hugill in the Preston game earlier in the season, when Pontus was going through his patchy spell. Let us not hope that this is not the reason we are interested in Hugill.
Delapsus Resurgam - When I fall I shall rise!
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Gandalf wrote:

Absolutely not. He is no better than we already have, other than to bully defenders with his strength. He has no pace, little trickery, and his goal record is abysmal. There is a reason why he spent his formative years bouncing around the non-league circuit, and before somebody mentions Jamie Vardy, he was a complete one off, and still only cost Leicester 1 Million from Fleetwood. Add in the asking prices for Maddison (a show pony) and Marriott (a one season wonder, like Roofe), and you can see why Orta prefers to look abroad for comparable talent

Worrying we are even linked with him

Gandalf wrote: Do we think Jansson is back to his best?

Yes he is, and signing a proper left back may help the defence overall, and Pontus in particular. It was Pontus who was bullied by Hugill in the Preston game earlier in the season, when Pontus was going through his patchy spell. Let us not hope that this is not the reason we are interested in Hugill.

Hope not !
gessa

Post by gessa »

What Gandalf said.

Leeds United are reportedly lining up an offer for Preston North End striker Jordan Hugill.

Preston are thought to be demanding more than £12million for the powerful centre-forward.

Tbh; don't know much about him but if we're spending that money on 1 forward, then i think it should be someone with a better scoring record.

Pontus Jansson has also been short listed as the EFL Skybet Championship as well as the fans player of the month for December.

Also nominated for the award are Scott Carson (Derby County), Jamie Paterson (Bristol City) and Romaine Sawyers (Brentford).

We will find out the winner on Friday.

Looking that way,most players go through a lean spell, you just hope it doesn't ladt too long, which with PJ it didn't. if the new LB is as good as we hope and moving Berardi to the right, we should look more solid now.