Blunts v Leeds - Reports/Ratings

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Oscar
First Team
First Team

Re: Blunts v Leeds - Reports/Ratings

Post by Oscar »

A disappointing start for Heckingbottom but we did at least play better today and I thought we deserved a point tbh.

First half was shocking second half much much better. I thought the team selection was disappointing tbh, Pablo should have started and I wouldn't have dropped Vieira. I thought Ekuban came on a little bit too late as well, hopefully Hecky will have learnt a lot from today.

Wiedwald 6- Can't blame him for either goal really, has to command his area better though.
Dallas 7- Solid defensively once again, a little bit wasteful going forward but looks really good at right back.
Pennington 7- Much better but still looks nervous and loses concentration too easily for my liking found himself out of position a couple of times.
Jansson 7- A couple of crucial blocks and challenges typical Pontus stuff.
De Bock 6- Has to get across better for the first goal for me, improved as the game went on tbf second game in a row he has cost us a goal through poor positioning.
Phillips 6- Offered nothing on the ball but thought he did reasonably well defensively made a goalsaving defensive header late on as well would have been a 4-5/10 otherwise.
Forshaw 6- Over 90% pass completion rate today he is very good at playing the 5-10 yard sideways passes and shields the ball well but loses the ball a lot whenever he tries something a little bit more ambitious on the ball. It's early days and I do think he is a decent player but I also think he is a long way from being the 'Mooy/Shelvey' of the team we were all hoping for.
O'Kane 3- At fault for both goals.
Alioski 4- Totally out of form atm.
Lasogga 8- Man Of The Match, Superb today imo lovely finish, held the ball up well and put their back three under a lot of pressure.
Roofe 3- At fault for the first goal.
Subs:
Hernandez 8- Had a big impact on the game, some lovely use of the ball another assist as well.
Sacko 5- Final decision/pass was poor once again.
Ekuban 7- Thought he had an impact on the game within 30 seconds of coming on he ran 40 yards won the ball back and started a counter attack, link up play was good as well just needs to work on getting himself into goalscoring positions more often.
Oscar
First Team
First Team

Post by Oscar »

1964white wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:41 pm Thought we were much better today particularly in the second-half, at least we were more competitive & made a fist of it. We passed the ball with more efficiency, defended defiantly & at least created a few chances as oppose to the non-event in our last away trip at Hull

Unfortunately we still make too many enforced errors

Got caught on the flanks. Blunts got round the back of our defence far too easily.
Caught ball-watching when the Blunts took a quick free-kick, e.g. their penalty
Too many rash challenges & free-kicks given away

Pluses

Lassoga's form/workrate - superb header for his goal

Introduction of Pablo - inspired us

Pontus/Pennington CB combination

Forshaw - brings a calmness to the middle of the park

6 - Wiedwald
7 - Dallas
7 - Pennington
8 - Jansson
4 - De Bock
1 - O'Kane
7 - Forshaw
6 - Phillips
1 - Alioski
1 - Roofe
8 - Lassoga (MOTM) just!
Subs
8 - Hernandez
2 - Sacko
n/a - Ekuban
I'm not totally sold on Forshaw yet tbh mate, very good at short range passing plus he rarely loses the ball. He is a very neat and tidy player but he hasn't offered enough in the way of creatvity for me (which is what I think he has been brought in to do). It's very early days of course but I want to see him being more forward thinking on the ball and looking to be more creative in his use of the ball than he has been so far in order to justify the £4.5 million price tag.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Gandalf wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:45 pm Heck - 6 - Started with the wrong lineup, imo, but improved us 2nd half. Subs were positive. Needs to get to know the squad better, and who are our liabilities. Not a noticeable improvement on TC at this early stage.
Apparently Pablo hasn't trained for much of the week according to his post-match interview I've just posted up. Definitely shouldn't have started Roofe & Alioski....learning curve for Heck, pretty sure he'll see the errors of his ways :)
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Oscar wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:07 pm I'm not totally sold on Forshaw yet tbh mate, very good at short range passing plus he rarely loses the ball. He is a very neat and tidy player but he hasn't offered enough in the way of creatvity for me (which is what I think he has been brought in to do). It's very early days of course but I want to see him being more forward thinking on the ball and looking to be more creative in his use of the ball than he has been so far in order to justify the £4.5 million price tag.
I wish our other players retained & passed the ball consistently well Oscar

I think Forshaw creative play will come when Heck settles on his first XI & we start winning games, Saiz will make a difference, Ekuban on his way back & once Roofe & Alioski are benched we'll be a more fluent outfit
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Post by HarryofOz »

A poor first half but still had a couple of chances but probably lucky to only be a goal down.

A good start to the second half, but still outplayed for most of it.

Much better performances from Lassoga and Hernandez. Forshaw and Jansson also played well.
Un Marcelo Bielsa, solo hay un Marcelo Bielsa. Gracias Marcello. Marsching on together.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

THAT WAS NOT A PENALTY

£100 on it had that been at the other end that penalty wouldn't have been given
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Oscar wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:07 pm I'm not totally sold on Forshaw yet tbh mate, very good at short range passing plus he rarely loses the ball. He is a very neat and tidy player but he hasn't offered enough in the way of creatvity for me (which is what I think he has been brought in to do). It's very early days of course but I want to see him being more forward thinking on the ball and looking to be more creative in his use of the ball than he has been so far in order to justify the £4.5 million price tag.
The impression I got was that we had bought him to keep things simple in there and gives us a greater degree of control to get the ball and keep it before releasing it to the likes of Saiz and Hernandez in better positions - our version of a Xavi or Iniesta type player.
paddy parrott
Manager
Manager

Post by paddy parrott »

Possibly and more probably Bridcutt did just that . It's our forward players we need performing then to replicate "Barca ", we ain't that sort... not got it.
We could try with the numbers in midfield to move it quicker forwards but to whom? and when is the thang ! ? God dammit we need to find a goalscorer ..?anyone remember Big Chris Wood ? Billy sharp even..?
1964white

Re: Blunts v Leeds - What starting line-up does Heck go with?

Post by 1964white »

Shields53 wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:25 pm And the man to blame there is Orta. We've not replaced Wood and we've not replaced Bartley.

We've made efforts to shore up the midfield this January but injuries are not taking their toll in that department.
Yes management above the coaching level screwed up from the onset
1964white

Re: Blunts v Leeds - What starting line-up does Heck go with?

Post by 1964white »

Shields53 wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:27 pm Pontus is rulled out as captain due to his temperment but instead we've had Cooper who has had two red cards recently and now O'Kane who has just returned from head-butting someone! God we miss Kyle Bartley!
Ironic several of our squad have a worst disciplinary record than Pontus. I do think making Jansson captain would restrain his temperament somewhat as he does seem to confront the referee often & as is generally the case the captain of the team are allowed constructive debate with the man in black or green in disputed circumstances

Forshaw has a cool head & would be my choice

And yes we do miss Bartley