Is Heck slowly turning us around ?

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Is Heck slowly turning us around ?

Post by 1964white »

Heck has recognised some of the problems showing ruthlessness in his team selection

Alioski, Roofe & Phillips have more or less been automatics in our first XI even though they have been dreadfully out of form & we haven't won a game since Boxing Day

Even Sacko & Roofe were effective when coming on as subs, something we rarely witnessed under TC

Yesterday Dallas started in his natural position, Anita played for the first time in months, Ekuban started after his injury lay-off although he looked like he lacks sharpness.

Heck seems to be getting the best out of Pablo, sublime in our Heck's first two matches in charge

Heck also showed he is adaptable as he changed the formation yesterday playing 4-4-2
danhirons
Manager
Manager

Re: Is Heck slowly turning us around ?

Post by danhirons »

No we've got one point out of six since he's come in (not that I blame him for this)
YorkshireSquare
Administrator
Administrator
Twitter: @motforum

Post by YorkshireSquare »

Still started very poorly, same old problem.

We need to start much better.
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Post by HarryofOz »

Sorry haven't seen any improvement yet. Only played fairly well for part of the game yesterday and to tell you the truth, looking a Bristol City I don't know how the are so high in the table, Evidently they are on the downward slide, with a poor record over the last 8 games, though Not as bad as us.
Un Marcelo Bielsa, solo hay un Marcelo Bielsa. Gracias Marcello. Marsching on together.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Agree Harry re Bristol, one of the worst teams I've seen this season when they played us in Bristol and looked no better yesterday. That could be we're their jinx team though

Weidwald is holding us back as he has all season, I'm sure that the defense doesn't trust him so it looks constantly shaky. We may just need a good keeper who can command the area and organise the defence. I think we win that at a canter if he doesn't make the error.
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
MightyWhites
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by MightyWhites »

Our back four is a nervous wreck when he is in goal. They have no confidence in him at all. The decision to get rid of Green is up there with one of the worst decisions made this season. Bailey Peacock-Farrell has to be given an opportunity as he cannot be any worse than what we're using at the moment. We would have won that game yesterday if it wasn't for that clown!
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

No.

Its exactly the same.

Play rubbish for most of the game then perk up for 20mins.

The 1st half against Bristol City was one of the worst performances of the season.

Don't like the long hoofs that we seem tl be doing now either, especially first half.

That needs to stop.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
lufc1304
Superstar
Superstar
Twitter: @DrGonzo2411

Post by lufc1304 »

Too early to say, but haven't seen much of an improvement in the 2 games Heck has been in charge. Agree re need for a keeper, a must in the summer as is a CH to play alongside PJ (Bartley if Swansea get relegated?). But it's early doors for Heck, he's still assessing what's available to him. If he can get us playing from the first minute, that'll be progress!!
"When the going gets weird, the weird get professional!" Hunter S Thompson
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Agree with Cjay. We have been dire in our last few first halves, including the 2 under PH, and been significantly better in the second halves even when playing with 10 men (such as v Millwall, Ipswich and Cardiff) so really there is no change at all.

I wouldn't get too carried away yet with PH's changes.

Don't forget how TC used to always rest Alioski after international breaks so perhaps all we are seeing is a very tired Alioski being given a rest. Did Dallas do any better/worse than Alioski - probably on a par really and don't forget that Dallas has had a lot of time out through injury and a family bereavement.

Anita did well, after a bit of a shaky start, but for most of TC's reign he had the option of Ayling or Berardi as rightback it was just the left back position that was always the problem and Anita did not look the answer there

Roofe was the natural fall guy with Hernandez starting. If Ekuban hadn't been available then PH would have picked Roofe. Same as TC who picked Ekuban when he had recovered from his first injury - you can't pick players who aren't available.

If dropping Phillips to play O'Kane is a tactical masterstroke then we are in big trouble. I would be more concerned over why Vieira isn't getting a look in.

To be honest I would give PH little credit yesterday. He either got his team selection completely wrong or he failed to get the team fired up because first half we were abysmal. Second half and although Roofe got a goal and Sacko didn't fall over I would give the fans creating the atmosphere 99% of the credit and PH 1% of the credit as the subs were straightforward ones really - Roofe was always going to come on as Ekuban is lacking match fitness, O'Kane was poor so it was just PH's decision over whether to replace him with RV or KP so some might say right decision (to go with KP instead of RV) some would say wrong decision. Sacko or Alioski to replace Dallas (again another player short of match fitness so an obvious switch) and whilst Sacko did better than usual he didn't really do much so similar to the RV/KP choice some would say right choice and others would disagree.

If anything I would say that the team came out more fired up v Millwall and Cardiff in the second halves than they did yesterday and if it wasn't for the crowd lifting them then we'd have lost the match and people would have been in a much more critical mood.
Ronan
Manager
Manager

Post by Ronan »

No....we got lucky yesterday.
Most plagiarists, like the drone, have neither taste to select, industry to acquire, nor skill to improve, but impudently pilfer the honey ready prepared, from the hive......
1964white

Post by 1964white »

HarryofOz wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:24 am Sorry haven't seen any improvement yet. Only played fairly well for part of the game yesterday and to tell you the truth, looking a Bristol City I don't know how the are so high in the table, Evidently they are on the downward slide, with a poor record over the last 8 games, though Not as bad as us.
Bristol City are not in the top six without good reason, they are a decent side making us look poor in the first-half as they exploited the deficiencies of our dodgy keeper & our ball-watching defenders.
Flint, Bryan, Reid & Baker are all being touted by premiership clubs with Ryan Kent a talented winger on-loan from Liverpool in their team.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

faaip wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:01 am
Weidwald is holding us back as he has all season, I'm sure that the defense doesn't trust him so it looks constantly shaky. We may just need a good keeper who can command the area and organise the defence. I think we win that at a canter if he doesn't make the error.
Agree we were on the back foot as soon as Felix started flapping making our defenders nervous every time they had a throw-in or a set-piece
1964white

Post by 1964white »

MightyWhites wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:02 pm Our back four is a nervous wreck when he is in goal. They have no confidence in him at all. The decision to get rid of Green is up there with one of the worst decisions made this season. Bailey Peacock-Farrell has to be given an opportunity as he cannot be any worse than what we're using at the moment. We would have won that game yesterday if it wasn't for that clown!
Don't be surprised if Heck does make a change between the sticks, he may give Felix one more chance to redeem himself. Problem is we haven't got a reliable championship keeper
1964white

Post by 1964white »

weasel wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:09 pm Agree with Cjay. We have been dire in our last few first halves, including the 2 under PH, and been significantly better in the second halves even when playing with 10 men (such as v Millwall, Ipswich and Cardiff) so really there is no change at all

Even though we were poor in the first-half we still created a couple of decent chances. Felix & our redundant defence put us on the back foot
weasel wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:09 pmI wouldn't get too carried away yet with PH's changes.
Don't forget how TC used to always rest Alioski after international breaks so perhaps all we are seeing is a very tired Alioski being given a rest. Did Dallas do any better/worse than Alioski - probably on a par really and don't forget that Dallas has had a lot of time out through injury and a family bereavement
Alioski, Roofe & Phillips didn't deserve to start on their current form so yes PH was correct to make those changes.

Dallas gave us much more than Alioski has shown since last November. Anita looked very composed once he grew into the game, a player more or less ignored by TC during our crap spell

Ekuban probably lacked sharpness but worth a punt playing in a 4-4-2 formation

Even Sacko, Roofe & Phillips appeared slightly better coming off the bench
weasel wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:09 pmI would give the fans creating the atmosphere 99% of the credit
I'll gladly accept some credit :-D
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

We were brilliant for the entire second half vs Millwall with ten men, far better then yesterday.

We were the better side till Vieira got sent off vs Wolves 2nd half . We should have beat Forest we should have beat Villa.

We battered Bristol City at theres could have been 5 or 6.

Vieira was awesome vs Bristol, O'Kane was shambolic vs Sheffield United, yet O'Kane started.

I don't think Hecky has done anything of note that suggests he has done any better then TC.

And i didn't expect him to, still dont.

Midtable squads finish mid table and thats where we will be at best.
Signed

King Cjay

The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Except go for 27 points in 23 games...he hasn't done that yet. For most of those of course with whichever team TC wanted to put out. Heck has yet to play with a full deck.
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Cjay wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:08 pm We were brilliant for the entire second half vs Millwall with ten men, far better then yesterday
But still got beat
Cjay wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:08 pmWe were the better side till Vieira got sent off vs Wolves 2nd half . We should have beat Forest we should have beat Villa
Wolves battered us in the first-half, indiscipline cost us in the end. Not good enough to break Forest & Villa down especially with TC's negative tactics
Cjay wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:08 pmWe battered Bristol City at theres could have been 5 or 6
Agreed, we were very good thanks to Vieira & Saiz, the robins had an off-day
Cjay wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:08 pmVieira was awesome vs Bristol, O'Kane was shambolic vs Sheffield United, yet O'Kane started
Vieira's time will come, perhaps he never gives the ball away in training :roll: why O'Kane got another chance I've no idea as he has gone backwards :duno:
Cjay wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:08 pmI don't think Hecky has done anything of note that suggests he has done any better then TC
Made us more competitive
Better team selection apart from O'Kane
Better substitutions at the right time
Getting the best out of Hernandez & Lassoga
Cjay wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:08 pmMidtable squads finish mid table and thats where we will be at best.
Indeed we are where we deserve to be all down to Orta & TC losing his way
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

1964white wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:24 pm But still got beat
Still got beat against Sheffield UNited . . . .

Wolves battered us in the first-half, indiscipline cost us in the end. Not good enough to break Forest & Villa down especially with TC's negative tactics
And Bristol City battered us 1st half, on our own patch, with them in poor form.

Agreed, we were very good thanks to Vieira & Saiz, the robins had an off-day
They didnt have an off day, we were comfortably better then them, even there own fans admit that. We were very good.
Vieira's time will come, perhaps he never gives the ball away in training :roll: why O'Kane got another chance I've no idea as he has gone backwards :duno:
So there you go, we all know O'Kane is crap, but Hecky started him again after being crap for this first game.
Made us more competitive . .. We have been competitive in multiple games 2nd half, nothing to do with the Hecky.
Better team selection apart from O'Kane .He went old fashioned 442, and picked the players available, hardly rocket science.
Better substitutions at the right time . .There the same substitutions TC would have made, he changed nothing with them, it was like for like. Same thing TC was moaned at for doing often.
Getting the best out of Hernandez & Lassoga . .On that basis TC got the best out of Saiz, Alioski, Vieira, Cooper, Berardi, Roofe etc, who have all had good periods this season. 2 games, means nothing, we got 1 point.

Indeed we are where we deserve to be all down to Orta & TC losing his way
If your blaming Orta that acknowledges the poor recruitment, so how can you blame TC to? If the squads good enough for higher, then cant blame Orta can only blame TC or Hecky. Likewise if your blaming TC then why hasnt Hecky had the new manager bounce and things pick up like they do for other teams? There has been no improvement, not a tiny amount, if these last 2 games count as improvement then we will be lucky to finish top 15.
Signed

King Cjay

weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

1964white wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:47 pm Even though we were poor in the first-half we still created a couple of decent chances. Felix & our redundant defence put us on the back foot

We were poor in the first half as such like I said either the wrong starting XI was selected or they weren't fired up. Either way not good and no improvement.

Alioski, Roofe & Phillips didn't deserve to start on their current form so yes PH was correct to make those changes.

And O'Kane did? I would have rather started with Phillips than O'Kane. Roofe has started more games than he should because or no alternatives - he was up front because Lasogga and Ekuban were both previously injured. He was then playing on the wing because Hernandez was in the no.10 with Saiz not available. As soon as Lasogga was fit TC played him instead of Roofe, when Ekuban was fit Ekuban started ahead of Roofe. Roofe was dropped only because alternatives were available. Likewise previously because of the lack of options, Dallas injured etc, Alioski has been the only option most of the time and has always put a shift in even if his attacking prowess has been poor lately. PH was able to make changes because he had the alternatives available.

Dallas gave us much more than Alioski has shown since last November. Anita looked very composed once he grew into the game, a player more or less ignored by TC during our crap spell

Dallas huffed and puffed, had a reasonable shot - hit with power but straight at the keeper - and did okay but nothing spectacular. Like I said previously why would TC have dropped both Ayling and Berardi to play Anita at right back? Anita played because Ayling and Berardi were both out - I don't think they were ever both unavailable for TC. Anita was ignored as a left back after playing poorly there -he was never needed as a right back until the last 2 games.

Ekuban probably lacked sharpness but worth a punt playing in a 4-4-2 formation

Definitely yes or could have potentially played as a winger with license to support the front man if playing 1 up top. Hopefully he stays clear of injury and can have a run of games so we can see whether he is good enough for next season. The potential is there and the sharpness should return.

Even Sacko, Roofe & Phillips appeared slightly better coming off the bench

Yes like I said all the subs were straightforward ones. Sacko didn't fall over and did better than usual without really being a threat. Roofe took his goal well. Phillips did okay but should have scored and should have made sure there was contact for his dive (like the Sheff U player did last week).

I'll gladly accept some credit :-D

Good I just don't see why PH should get much. I hope he does well but until the crowd got the team going we were coasting to defeat. Things didn't change because of tactics or subs but because the crowd got going and we scored and as such the crowd then kept going and the team kept going.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Cjay wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:34 pm
We'll agree to disagree

Heck walked into a minefield inheriting a job with three players suspended (as well as the players TC has to take responsibility for our poor discipline) plus Heck had three players on the injury list.

Heck gave the bulk of TC's team a chance to prove their worth at Bramall Lane, he spotted the weaknesses & changed the first XI v Bristol City

Heck had options on the bench as he had dropped a couple of our flair players, hence Roofe came on & grabbed the equaliser.

Seems like Heck has had two games to sort out the mess TC left us in with the majority of our fans