Ten of the best Leeds United goals of all time

Comment on MarchingOnTogether.co.uk news stories.
YorkshireSquare
Administrator
Administrator
Twitter: @motforum

Ten of the best Leeds United goals of all time

Post by YorkshireSquare »

Leeds United players have scored some fantastic goals over the years. Length of the pitch runs, fancy footwork, screaming volleys. Here are a few selected from the archives, in no particular order. I'm not saying they are the best 10 ever but they are certainly 10 of the best.

Johnny Giles, 20th March 1971
Leeds United 2, Crystal Palace 1

Revie's midfield general, a hard but skilful player. One of the truly great midfield players of that era. His sometimes telepathic footballing double act with King Billy was a joy to watch and he scored some great goals too such as this long range effort against Crystal Palace.

Harry Kewell, 3rd January 2000
Leeds United 1, Aston Villa 2

Love him or hate him you can't deny Harry Kewell's ability. He scored a lot of good goals too like this effort against Aston Villa in January 2000. Controlled on the chest, a knee forward before a left foot volley which gave David James no chance in the Villa net.

Bradley Johnson, 19th January 2011
Leeds United 1, Arsenal 3

Bradley Johnson was known for striking a ball pretty hard, usually somewhere over the South Stand down Elland Road but occasionally he got one just right. Having held Arsenal to a draw at the Emirates it was back to Elland Road for the replay. Leeds were already two down when Johnson struck but strike he did, an absolute screamer into the top right corner from 3 yards out.

Luciano Becchio, 22nd December 2012
Leeds United 2, Middlesbrough 1

Luciano Becchio was somewhat overshadowed by Jermaine Beckford in his early days at Leeds United but once Beckford left he shone. His record speaks for itself, 86 goals in 219 appearances. With 75 League goals he is 10th in the all time records. My favourite Becchio goal is his strike against Middlesbrough, left foot volley in off the post.

Tony Yeboah, 21st Ausust 1995
Leeds United 1, Liverpool 0

Tony Yeboah had scored thirteen goals in his first season at Leeds but he started the 1995/96 season on fire. He scored two goals in the first game of the season against West Ham, the second nearly breaking the roof of the net but it was the Liverpool game that launched him into the spotlight. Thirty yards out, first time, boom. I'm not sure David James even saw it.

Continue to Ten of the best Leeds United goals - Part 2 >>
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Ten of the best Leeds United goals of all time

Post by Cjay »

That Harry Kewell one reminds me of why he was my favourite player as a kid.

Its a shame he allowed himself to become a Judas.

Really was the most exciting player ive seen play for us :(

Scored some worldies.

Goal vs Grasshoppers in Europe, ran from inside our half and scored.

My personal choice was i think against Sheffield Wednesday, lobbed there goalie with the outside of his left foot from 30 yards.

Scored headers, excellent technique, made some volleys look easy when they wernt.

A prime Harry Kewell before injuries, before all that, he had the potential to be truly world class imo.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
Clive
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Re: Ten of the best Leeds United goals of all time

Post by Clive »

The Rod Wallace one will always be my favourite.