Sum of our parts

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Sum of our parts

Post by Cjay »

Conflicting opinions on players and managers and such.

Some of us rate one and others dont (Alioski doubters just jealous of his hair)

Some rate Lassie some dont, some rate Phillips some dont, some rate Dallas some dont etc.

But does anyone hand on heart believe that our squad (forget the coach for now) do they believe that we were ever genuine promotion candidates?

I mean on paper, looking at our squad now, after 2 windows. Does that look like a squad that you honestly believe, trying to be as unbiased as you can, that that is a top 6 squad?

Forget Hecky forget TC just the squad.

We all hope for promotion and we moan and whinge and want this one dropped and that one dropped.

But as a sum of its parts, is it really a top 6 squad as Radz and Orta have said?

For balance consider the squad in 2 sections, up till the January window and then now its closed.

If not, then where would you expect that squad to finish if it was another teams?
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Sum of our parts

Post by 1964white »

Simple answer is NO
Clive
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Clive »

I don't think it's as bad as people make out, with everyone fit and available we're a top 6 side.

If our players were having some of the wild shots Derby were having, and defended like they did for our goals, they'd be getting all kinds of stick on here.

Confidence plays a huge part in this league, and the pressure and scrutiny of playing for Leeds means it's extra tough for players.

I think we'll have a strong finish now we've got players back and Lasogga has started scoring regularly.

Forshaw is a good signing, he's experienced at this level and has been promoted. He's always looking for the ball, looks after it well, and plays with his head up.
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Post by HarryofOz »

From what I've seen of it, The Championship standard is ordinary so we should have made the six.
Un Marcelo Bielsa, solo hay un Marcelo Bielsa. Gracias Marcello. Marsching on together.
Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Norm »

Well said Clive. I know we haven't done that well overall but I do get a bit fed up of the whining.
Some days I swear I can hear it as I sign in - a low hum rising to a crescendo - especially about our FA Cup defeat, with as many threads as possible being polluted by mention of it as if we lost on purpose or by incompetence, rather than us getting beat by some team who were superior on the day.
Let's keep as much of the faith as we can and hope for better in future.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Clive wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:12 am I don't think it's as bad as people make out, with everyone fit and available we're a top 6 side.

If our players were having some of the wild shots Derby were having, and defended like they did for our goals, they'd be getting all kinds of stick on here.

Confidence plays a huge part in this league, and the pressure and scrutiny of playing for Leeds means it's extra tough for players.

I think we'll have a strong finish now we've got players back and Lasogga has started scoring regularly.

Forshaw is a good signing, he's experienced at this level and has been promoted. He's always looking for the ball, looks after it well, and plays with his head up.
I do think we'll have another good run, still unconvinced we are a top six side

We have five top players in Pontus, Saiz, Hernandez, Forshaw & Lassoga, the rest are hit & miss, so many silly errors that have cost us games
1964white

Post by 1964white »

HarryofOz wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:40 am From what I've seen of it, The Championship standard is ordinary so we should have made the six.
It is ordinary Harry :tup:
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Norm wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:02 am Well said Clive. I know we haven't done that well overall but I do get a bit fed up of the whining.
Some days I swear I can hear it as I sign in - a low hum rising to a crescendo - especially about our FA Cup defeat, with as many threads as possible being polluted by mention of it as if we lost on purpose or by incompetence, rather than us getting beat by some team who were superior on the day.
Let's keep as much of the faith as we can and hope for better in future.
It all makes for good debate Norm
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

This is absolutely a top 6 squad. But I'm probably the only one here that believes it all about the coaching.
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Newport white
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Newport white »

We are a top 6 squad, a lot comes down to coaching and having total confidence in your teammates, Lassies goals per game are high and when Saiz and co are on song are top draw in this league, the obvious weak link is the keeper and his failings are surely having an effect on the team especially the defenders, I can see signs of the early season form returning which must be down to the new coach, 3 points on Saturday against an in form Brentford would put a marker down that we are still in there with a shout, every year a team from mid table go on a run and gate crash the play offs, why not us
Gurj
Manager
Manager

Post by Gurj »

Nowhere near a top 6 squad. Both goalkeepers horrendous. Full backs defensively suspect, only One decent central defender, too many central midfielders of a similar ilk, other than Forshaw, wingers average at best, one proven striker only. Three real Class players only in this line up, Pontus, Saiz and Pablo, at a push four if you add Lassoga at he's very best and fittest. Need to see a bit more of Forshaw before I make judgement on him.
LEEDS AND FOREVER PROUD TO BE !!
danhirons
Manager
Manager

Post by danhirons »

preston are showing how you can be around the top six on a shoestring budget. The amount we've invested and the quality on paper of our squad compared to theirs...
lufc1304
Superstar
Superstar
Twitter: @DrGonzo2411

Post by lufc1304 »

faaip wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:46 am This is absolutely a top 6 squad. But I'm probably the only one here that believes it all about the coaching.
Still think goalkeeper is a huge Achilles heel, but agree that with the right coach, we'd be top 6
"When the going gets weird, the weird get professional!" Hunter S Thompson
Ratscoot
Manager
Manager

Post by Ratscoot »

At the start of the season I was full of hope (like most of you) that this was our year, we’d actually spent money on new signings and some of them were exciting not just cheap journey men, but my biggest worry was the loss of Green and Bartley, you could throw Taylor in there as well, plus Wood but was hoping Lassie was a good replacement.

Top of the League at one point then it all went wrong as teams found our weak point the fact we are a weak team and don’t like the physical side, throw in some bad luck, EFL Refs that hate us, a large number of sendings off/suspensions and a manager that didn’t have a Plan B (I really like TC and wish it had worked out) so we dropped further down the table.

Forshaw coming in I feel is a really good signing giving us that quality and calmness in the midfield and I think Kalvin and Ronney will improve playing along side him.

De Bock is just not good enough, I’d rather Berardi play LB

New Manager juries out for me at the moment, he seems ok and appears to have a plan B just wish Plan A would work so we aren’t getting battered before Plan B kicks in!

So are we a Promotion winning squad IMO no as we’ve still not replaced Green or Barkley (Pennington may one day) but I do feel our current position doesn’t reflect how good the overall squad is so for me I think we should be sat just below the play offs and if one or two of the others c**k up we could sneak in there :shhh: :shhh:
A bumble bee under the laws of physics shouldnt be able to fly, but it does because no one has told it that it can't
1964white

Post by 1964white »

lufc1304 wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:19 am Still think goalkeeper is a huge Achilles heel, but agree that with the right coach, we'd be top 6
Agreed mate our defenders have no confidence in him, so visibly obvious when you are at a game.
I had a great view of his performance at Derby as I was stood right in line of Felix's area, he was rooted for much of the game !
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Post by HarryofOz »

1964white wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:33 am It is ordinary Harry :tup:
There is too much money in the top level of football nowadays. The massive wage bills and squads in the top leagues around Europe - especially the EPL - there is no 'drain' of players to the second tier.
Un Marcelo Bielsa, solo hay un Marcelo Bielsa. Gracias Marcello. Marsching on together.
Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Norm »

faaip » Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:46 am

This is absolutely a top 6 squad. But I'm probably the only one here that believes it all about the coaching.
No you're not
Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Norm »

1964white wrote: ↑

It all makes for good debate Norm
No it doesn't - it's inaccurate, boring and pointless.
Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Norm »

I read a piece today about Gareth Bale. He's already secured his mum and dad's futures, plus his own family of course.
350,000 a week. Hell, if I got that once it would secure our future.
Not knocking Gareth at all, looking after mum & dad is a great thing, it just made me think about the obscenity of what's transpired since 1992.
hector

Post by hector »

1964white wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:30 am I do think we'll have another good run, still unconvinced we are a top six side

We have four top players in Pontus, Saiz, Hernandez, Forshaw & Lassoga, the rest are hit & miss, so many silly errors that have cost us games
Sums is not your strong point is it Leon??

so you must be an accountant then... :P :P

:)
Song machine is coming down....
And we're gonna have a party Uhuhu