Supporting Leeds United (Welcome & Introductions)

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Richard
Subs Bench
Subs Bench
Twitter: @northantsmanvan

Re: Supporting Leeds

Post by Richard »

1964white wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:56 pm Cheers Richard :tup:
Bucks said you should be good to go :tup:
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Richard wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:02 am Bucks said you should be good to go :tup:
Bingo :tup:

Thank you Richard
Richard
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Richard »

I believe a chap called WJ has been trying to join, can't log in so I am assuming not cleared yet?
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

1964white wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:33 pm So I guess you are talking about Chippy/Glory although he seems to be posting again ?

You're right Richard many of their topics turn into nonsense nevertheless there appears to be some good posters on there

Are there anymore Not606 members on MOT ?
And ours don't ? ...Hector and I can't be doing our jobs properly
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
hector

Post by hector »

Must try harder Must try harder Must try harder Must try harder Must try harder Must try harder Must try harder Must try harder Must try harder Must try harder
Must try harder Must try harder Must try harder Must try harder Must try harder Must try harder Must try harder Must try harder Must try harder Must try harder
Song machine is coming down....
And we're gonna have a party Uhuhu
Gino 1959
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Gino 1959 »

faaip wrote: Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:34 pm And ours don't ? ...Hector and I can't be doing our jobs properly
Let me know if you need a hand...
Beware the fury of a patient man - John Dryden.
hector

Post by hector »

Nice of you to offer Gino, but I think we may just have that in hand...... ;-)
Song machine is coming down....
And we're gonna have a party Uhuhu
fred
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by fred »

Anyone else noticed that you don`t invest as much depressiv feelings as one maybe used to do (this if you are a seasoned supporter.)
The back side seems necessarily that the euphoria isn`t that roofless as it used to be...hm, but still addicted though....just taking the positives more serious than the negatives....or is that being a `plastic` fan?
Dalton
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Dalton »

I started in 1974 in junior school. No one liked Leeds or wanted to be a fan. But I like the kit and the fact they shall we say played hard.
Once the love started, it has never stopped despite all the ups and downs since.
My my my, such a lot of guns around town and so few brains
Muppet the Cat

Post by Muppet the Cat »

Supporting Leeds
Report this post

When did you start supporting Leeds United

What attracted you to the Mighty Whites

And finally did you or have you supported another team before or during your time watching football
We moved to a village just outside York when I was too young to remember (1965/66) and stayed there until 1974. Given that was when the team were at the pinnacle of English football all the kids at our school were Leeds fans, so it was only natural to follow suit.

However, I had no guidance from my Dad, who to be honest has never really been into football, so it was my best friend's Dad who took me to my first games at Elland Road in the early 70's. (Although the first football game I ever went to was York City reserves v British Sugar at Bootham Crescent (my friend's Dad's mate played for the British Sugar 11).

In 1974 we moved to Lincoln, so I did start going to watch the 'Super Imps' (as a 2nd team !!!), but to be honest they were the business with Graham Taylor as Manager and gave most teams who visited Sincil Bank a real hiding. In fact I can recall them beating Bournemouth 9-0 (the highest scoring game I think I've been to) - equalled by a Leeds 4 v Liverpool 5 game.

I then went to Poly (now re-badged as a University) in Coventry from '82 to '87 and watched the Sky Blues a few times (in the days of Highfield Road, not the non-existent atmospheric shell that is the Ricoh). I even had to get my 1987 FA Cup semi-final ticket from CCFC, and so watched the game from the wrong (albeit winning) end. To fair it was a good day in Coventry when they won the final and you can't begrudge a team like that their day in the sun. As an aside when in Cov I also stood next to Cyril Regis in a nightclub once and he wasn't as big as you think in real life, but you still wouldn't argue !!

Next stop in 1987 was Boreham Wood in Herts. I had West Ham supporting neighbours and colleagues at work were all Gooners (not surprising given Arsenal reserves play at Boreham Wood's ground) or Spurs, with one exception who was a Blackburn Rovers fan. Good for visiting most of the London grounds when Leeds were.........although I must confess to never picking up the courage to visit the Old Den !

Then in 1993 onto Cardiff, where I still am......getting older and more grey hairs !! As I think I said in a post on another thread from a footballing sense, not much fun here since 2002 !!

For the game at Cardiff last Sep/Oct I went with a couple of Bluebird fans and given we were doing well (1st or 2nd) at the time I was full of it, but to be honest they played us off the park.

I agree with others though once your colours are nailed to the mast that's it for life..............no going back :P
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by andrewjohnsmith »

1979 - 7 years old when I just started playing at school. My best mate was the football expert, had one of those dad's that was bent on him being a pro. It was just after the glory years and his dad had drilled Leeds into him. Since he really got me into football I picked the same team too. A couple of weeks later I found out my granddad was a Leeds fan and it clicked.

I do also support my hometown Donny Rovers, but they're a long second to Leeds.
Richard
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Richard »

Reading lots of these it’s evident that there is a massive chunk of Leeds fans over the wrong side of 45. Many of us who started supporting because of peers and friends in the early 70s. I’m from Northampton, even 20 years ago I’d see lots of people out and about in replica Leeds shirts around my home town but not now. With so many years in the wilderness I do fear that once us 45+ year olds have vanished there won’t be the next generations coming through.
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by andrewjohnsmith »

Richard wrote: Tue May 01, 2018 7:34 am Reading lots of these it’s evident that there is a massive chunk of Leeds fans over the wrong side of 45. Many of us who started supporting because of peers and friends in the early 70s. I’m from Northampton, even 20 years ago I’d see lots of people out and about in replica Leeds shirts around my home town but not now. With so many years in the wilderness I do fear that once us 45+ year olds have vanished there won’t be the next generations coming through.
That's all about success on the field. There has to be a generation too that jumped on the Wilko bandwagon and another from the O'Leary years although those were less sustained than the Revie era. But I only posted in this forum because I was thinking about the same question myself. Without success we have the city of Leeds. With success the market gets wider.
Jordi10
Ballboy
Ballboy

Post by Jordi10 »

Started from birth as far as I am aware. Me mam (my mother for those not privileged enough to be from God’s own 😋) is a Leeds fan and her favourite player was Trevor Cherry.

So yeah, had a fair few years under my belt of supporting LUFC. First game at Elland Road was against CS Maritimo in the UEFA Cup in ‘98 if I remember rightly (Hasslebaink scored and we won 1-0) and I was hooked.

Unfortunately, jobs and growing up has meant I’ve not been able to go as often as I would like, but I aim to make amends for that soon!!

As for another team, I follow Frickley Athletic (a non league club near Wakefield) with my best mate.
Marching On Together..........FOREVER!!!!!

"I love you all...I love you more than life itself...but you're all f***ing mad!!" - Ozzy Osbourne

Twitter: @jordanw88
gessa

Post by gessa »

Jordi10 wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:21 pm Started from birth as far as I am aware. Me mam (my mother for those not privileged enough to be from God’s own 😋) is a Leeds fan and her favourite player was Trevor Cherry.

So yeah, had a fair few years under my belt of supporting LUFC. First game at Elland Road was against CS Maritimo in the UEFA Cup in ‘98 if I remember rightly (Hasslebaink scored and we won 1-0) and I was hooked.

Unfortunately, jobs and growing up has meant I’ve not been able to go as often as I would like, but I aim to make amends for that soon!!

As for another team, I follow Frickley Athletic (a non league club near Wakefield) with my best mate.
Welcome Jordi
Bally
First Team
First Team

Post by Bally »

I can't claim to be a die hard Leeds fan as my number 1 team is AFC Telford United who I've been going to watch for as long as I remember thanks to my dad taking me when I was v young so they are and always will be in my blood.
As I was growing up I remember watching the 1972 centenary fa cup final on TV Leeds v Arsenal and my love the team in white started from there,much to my dads disgust due to them being known as dirty Leeds .
My first game was 7 days after my 11th birthday January 17th 1976 at Molineux a 1-1 draw what amazed me was seeing Peter Lorimer shooting from a free kick inside his own half and one of my favourite players Duncan McKenzie having a cross turned in for the Leeds goal.
My first ever visit to Elland Road was Jan 2nd 1984 a 1-1 draw against Manchester City went a few times in the 80's to late 80's but haven't been since hopefully bring my lad up to a game soon,more recently I'm normally in the home end when Leeds are at Molineux.
I've only wanted Leeds to lose once and that was the Fa cup tie at the Hawthorns against Telford ,we travelled up in a mini bus with Leeds and Telford scarfs hanging out the window some of us went in the Telford end the others in the Leeds end probably one of the coldest days spent watching a football match
Gandalf
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Gandalf »

Bally wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:14 pm I can't claim to be a die hard Leeds fan as my number 1 team is AFC Telford United who I've been going to watch for as long as I remember thanks to my dad taking me when I was v young so they are and always will be in my blood.
As I was growing up I remember watching the 1972 centenary fa cup final on TV Leeds v Arsenal and my love the team in white started from there,much to my dads disgust due to them being known as dirty Leeds .
My first game was 7 days after my 11th birthday January 17th 1976 at Molineux a 1-1 draw what amazed me was seeing Peter Lorimer shooting from a free kick inside his own half and one of my favourite players Duncan McKenzie having a cross turned in for the Leeds goal.
My first ever visit to Elland Road was Jan 2nd 1984 a 1-1 draw against Manchester City went a few times in the 80's to late 80's but haven't been since hopefully bring my lad up to a game soon,more recently I'm normally in the home end when Leeds are at Molineux.
I've only wanted Leeds to lose once and that was the Fa cup tie at the Hawthorns against Telford ,we travelled up in a mini bus with Leeds and Telford scarfs hanging out the window some of us went in the Telford end the others in the Leeds end probably one of the coldest days spent watching a football match
I spent about 5 years working in Telford from 2008. Went 2 or 3 times to the restaurant behind the goal at Buck's Head. Really nice meal to be had there, and you got a fantastic view of the football. Probably about the only decent thing to do in Telford, and even that was really in Wellington.
Delapsus Resurgam - When I fall I shall rise!
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

I was born in 1965 and started getting into football in the early 70's and back then Leeds were THE team so they became my team and have been ever since even though I live in Suffok. Not surprisingly, a lot of blokes of a similar age to me are Leeds fans down here.
I remember watching the European Cup final in '75 and crying my eyes out when a cheating ba***rd of a referee cost us the game.
I watched the game in my full Leeds kit which even had the frilly sock tassles with the number on. Allan Clarke was my hero back then.
In the mid-eighties me and my mates were regular visitors to ER and most journeys involved being crammed into my mates Ford Capri for about three and a half hours.
I could hardly walk when we got out of the car. We always used to stop at the Darrington pub for some grub and a pint before getting onto the M62.
I don't get to ER much these days due to family / work life but always go to Portman Road when we're there. And I saw us at Colchester in our League One days.
I have cousins in Yorkshire in the Pateley Bridge / Ripon area and will be up staying with one of them next month and hoping to see a game.
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
Bally
First Team
First Team

Post by Bally »

Gandalf wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:19 pm I spent about 5 years working in Telford from 2008. Went 2 or 3 times to the restaurant behind the goal at Buck's Head. Really nice meal to be had there, and you got a fantastic view of the football. Probably about the only decent thing to do in Telford, and even that was really in Wellington.
Telford town centre has had a lot done to it in the last two or three years and is actually quite nice now with plenty of decent eating places new hotels and a new cinema,Telford has its fair share of rough areas but quite a few nice areas too like most places really
beeeje
Ballboy
Ballboy

Post by beeeje »

I started support Leeds in 2008-2009 or something. .I've known the club for years and like them a lot´,specially the logo,the kit,the stadium and the fans.But i've just watched games on TV . By the time i didn't have Internet .When we step down in 2004 i was 12 years old and i have distant memories.But when i started to know Internet better and better and getting familiar with Football Manager i played a thousand of hours with Leeds ´´´.....and here it comes´.Even though we were in third division i've liked them a lot´.I guess it is not about where you are,but who you are.There were big club for me then and there are even bigger club for me now.This is a more kind of introduction from me, but don't know where to write´. Basically what i have to say is that i am from Bulgaria and our Leeds forum just screw up´.I was thinking to register here long ago,but finally i make it´.Greetings to all and sorry for the english,but the Present/Perfeckt times and me really don't get along.
Last edited by beeeje on Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:17 am, edited 1 time in total.