Paul Heckingbottom

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Paul Heckingbottom

Post by 1964white »

weasel wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:52 pm It is like the old saying - Better to keep your mouth shut and have people think you might be an idiot than to open it and remove all doubt.

I just want something, some little crumb of comfort that he has a clue about how to get this team playing better and winning. So far all we are doing is playing sh*te football, slipping down the league and being told by him that this is where we belong.
Still believe he has taken on a tough job probably beyond his capabilities.
I think most top managers/coaches would struggle to inspire our bunch of players as the majority are average
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

1964white wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:04 pm I think most top managers/coaches would struggle to inspire our bunch of players as the majority are average
Yet for most of this season a manager/coach that you have publicly ridiculed managed to do just that
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

weasel wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:54 pm Yet for most of this season a manager/coach that you have publicly ridiculed managed to do just that
In fairness I'd say more then half of Leeds fans wanted TC sacked.

Unfortunately it was because of TC himself and his early success that fans got the wrong idea of what the squad was capable of.

And now the tide has turned again and now people are turning on the squad, the board and Hecky.

All of a sudden the realisation of what a good job TC did under the circumstances is starting to dawn on the majority imo.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Norm »

weasel wrote: ↑

Yet for most of this season a manager/coach that you have publicly ridiculed managed to do just that
This
Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Norm »

Cjay wrote: ↑

All of a sudden the realisation of what a good job TC did under the circumstances is starting to dawn on the majority imo.
...and this
Azkal
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Azkal »

Cjay wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:20 am In fairness I'd say more then half of Leeds fans wanted TC sacked.

Unfortunately it was because of TC himself and his early success that fans got the wrong idea of what the squad was capable of.

And now the tide has turned again and now people are turning on the squad, the board and Hecky.

Well articulated :tup:
Richard
Subs Bench
Subs Bench
Twitter: @northantsmanvan

Post by Richard »

When things go wrong, it is human nature to point a finger of blame. The mistakes Felix made whilst in goal, we point a finger of blame at him, we fail to point fingers at the midfield not creating enough chances and the attackers not scoring.

When you have a director of football and a coach and things go wrong you're not sure who to blame, some suspect it might be the lack of quality but you remember the first 4 games so instead the easier option is to blame the coach TC.

We bring a new coach in and suddenly you start to realise we’re getting worse and TC wasn’t doing such a bad job so now the finger is pointing at lack of quality signings and Orta. I’m still amazed that PH has been allowed to dismiss this season, I know us as fans realise Top 6 ain’t happening but why was Thomas sacked? Board felt Top 6 was realistic? We’ll be lucky to finish top half.
Azkal
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Azkal »

Refreshingly to read, clear, valid, and most importantly, mature, points of view from most of the above. Sick of hearing whinging emotional outbursts of negativity on here, a real turn off.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

weasel wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:54 pm Yet for most of this season a manager/coach that you have publicly ridiculed managed to do just that
Massive exaggeration Weasel

TC had my support until the week we played Millwall, Hull & Cardiff, felt a change was required after an horrendous run of defeats (plus a couple of draws v poor teams).

I've never been convinced with Radz & Orta from day one & my point was proven once again as they went for yet another cheap option employing Hecky as our new coach

The Leeds job would be tough job for a top premiership manager.....lets face it none of them would work for our current regime
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Azkalwhite wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:39 am Refreshingly to read, clear, valid, and most importantly, mature, points of view from most of the above. Sick of hearing whinging emotional outbursts of negativity on here, a real turn off.
I'm not being negative when I say we have an average squad

I've seen every championship team this season, those above us in the main have a quality squad, fitter, quicker, bigger, tougher, press well & have a winning mentality....hence the reason we are 13th in the championship
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Richard wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:11 am We bring a new coach in and suddenly you start to realise we’re getting worse and TC wasn’t doing such a bad job so now the finger is pointing at lack of quality signings and Orta. I’m still amazed that PH has been allowed to dismiss this season, I know us as fans realise Top 6 ain’t happening but why was Thomas sacked? Board felt Top 6 was realistic? We’ll be lucky to finish top half.
Hecky's last 7 games = 6 points

Christiansen last 7 games = 2 points & knocked out of the cup by a League 2 side

The blame rests with Radz/Orta plus our average players on long contracts
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Think I better keep my mouth shut then. I can't tow this party line, I don't think we're any worse under Heck than we were under TC, at times we look better.
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
1964white

Post by 1964white »

faaip wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:02 am Think I better keep my mouth shut then. I can't tow this party line, I don't think we're any worse under Heck than we were under TC, at times we look better.
You're right we're not worst Faaip

I personally feel sorry for both Christiansen & Hecky, by no means an easy job particularly managing Leeds United where the expectations are so much greater than the smaller clubs
Azkal
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Azkal »

1964white wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:34 am I'm not being negative when I say we have an average squad

I've seen every championship team this season, those above us in the main have a quality squad, fitter, quicker, bigger, tougher, press well & have a winning mentality....hence the reason we are 13th in the championship
Am I going senile 64, or have you edited this post and taken the "majority" comment, out and put "in the main" in? must remember to pour less wine in my glass before bedtime.....
becchio bear
Superstar
Superstar
Twitter: @Becchiobear

Post by becchio bear »

We need a strong manager who commands respect. I'm afraid neither TC nor the Heck fit that criteria. TC to me seemed weak and I know it shouldn't matter but his squeaky voice really grated on me :oops: The Heck looks like a rabbit caught in headlights. I actually can't believe he's put Jansson on his list of players who have to prove themselves for a place! No mention of Anita or Sacko :shock: :bear:
I'm going back to 505, I saw them at Sheffield and they were amazing.
Azkal
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Azkal »

becchio bear wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:18 am We need a strong manager who commands respect. I'm afraid neither TC nor the Heck fit that criteria. TC to me seemed weak and I know it shouldn't matter but his squeaky voice really grated on me :oops: The Heck looks like a rabbit caught in headlights. I actually can't believe he's put Jansson on his list of players who have to prove themselves for a place! No mention of Anita or Sacko :shock: :bear:
I understand where you are coming from BB, TC did come across as, well, mildly effeminate in his general demeanour. Not sure whether that had any effect on his ability to coach those, as I don't believe he was given sufficient time to prove a success or a failure.

The only thing that I can be 100% sure of, is that some of the games his Leeds team played were visually magnificent, and unlike anything I have seen from a Leeds team in years.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Azkalwhite wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:17 am Am I going senile 64, or have you edited this post and taken the "majority" comment, out and put "in the main" in? must remember to pour less wine in my glass before bedtime.....
:rol: :rol:
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Azkalwhite wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:41 am [/b]

Well articulated :tup:

It was either that or "Hecky sucks, sack the waste of space you steaming pile of brown stuff".
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

1964white wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:27 am Massive exaggeration Weasel

TC had my support until the week we played Millwall, Hull & Cardiff, felt a change was required after an horrendous run of defeats (plus a couple of draws v poor teams).

I've never been convinced with Radz & Orta from day one & my point was proven once again as they went for yet another cheap option employing Hecky as our new coach

The Leeds job would be tough job for a top premiership manager.....lets face it none of them would work for our current regime
You were baying for his blood when we had our earlier bad run and only changed your tune when TC started to get results again by changing the style of play a the team were no longer able to win playing the way he wanted them to play.

Similarly remember your constant criticism of Brian McDermott (Rhino's manager not ex footy manager) when we had a poor year and even slagging him off last year before he guided the team to yet another Grand Final triumph.

Fickle is the word I would use to describe your support towards managers. Yet you will defend PH to the hilt for achieving 6 points from 7 matches in which we have been outplayed for probably 90% of the combined time.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

weasel wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:44 pm You were baying for his blood when we had our earlier bad run and only changed your tune when TC started to get results again by changing the style of play a the team were no longer able to win playing the way he wanted them to play.

Similarly remember your constant criticism of Brian McDermott (Rhino's manager not ex footy manager) when we had a poor year and even slagging him off last year before he guided the team to yet another Grand Final triumph.

Fickle is the word I would use to describe your support towards managers. Yet you will defend PH to the hilt for achieving 6 points from 7 matches in which we have been outplayed for probably 90% of the combined time.
Pot calling kettle black comes to mind :roll: