Ronaldo Vieira

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Ronaldo Vieira

Post by Cjay »

andrewjohnsmith wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 6:46 pm I think he's class and don't understand the amount of criticism he gets. He's good in the tackle, passes well, runs with the ball, closes down, and has plenty of energy. His weakness is that he's young in a physically demanding league. Give him time, real playing time. I would have played him next to Forshaw, and now with the injuries he should be automatic for the rest of the season. Batty and Speed came through and eventually got us promoted. I see RV in the same light. If w don't go up next year then he'll probably be worth a decent amount of cash.
Agree with all of this.

Think Vieira is a shining light in a sea of turds.

He's only 19 but has been our best midfielder for nearly 2 seasons.

He was named one of the 20 best teenage players in Europe in February.

Gets far to much criticism
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by andrewjohnsmith »

Cjay wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:39 pm
Think Vieira is a shining light in a sea of turds.

Gets far to much criticism
Phil Hay posted a good article on said payer in Yorkshire Evening Post today. His basic argument was that RV has regressed playing among mediocrity. He used the comparison of Sessegnon being surrounded by so much quality at Fulham. I think RV can get back on track next year if selected consistently, paired alongside Forshaw (as opposed to O'Kane or Phillips), and if Heckingbottom gets things on track next year too.
fred
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by fred »

andrewjohnsmith wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:48 pm Phil Hay posted a good article on said payer in Yorkshire Evening Post today. His basic argument was that RV has regressed playing among mediocrity. He used the comparison of Sessegnon being surrounded by so much quality at Fulham. I think RV can get back on track next year if selected consistently, paired alongside Forshaw (as opposed to O'Kane or Phillips), and if Heckingbottom gets things on track next year too.
Still believe he`s overhyped. Nice passes now and then, good tackles, and...?
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

andrewjohnsmith wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:48 pm Phil Hay posted a good article on said payer in Yorkshire Evening Post today. His basic argument was that RV has regressed playing among mediocrity. He used the comparison of Sessegnon being surrounded by so much quality at Fulham. I think RV can get back on track next year if selected consistently, paired alongside Forshaw (as opposed to O'Kane or Phillips), and if Heckingbottom gets things on track next year too.
Think thats true what Phil says.

If you play with average players you will eventually get dragged down to there level.

Forshaw and Vieira would be good.
Signed

King Cjay

Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

fred wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:49 pm Still believe he`s overhyped. Nice passes now and then, good tackles, and...?
Driving runs forward when allowed, strength to hold off players after winning the ball, his passing is more accurate then people give him credit for.

He is the only midfielder we have with strength and power.

And hes still a kid.
Signed

King Cjay

1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Cjay wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:06 pm
If you play with average players you will eventually get dragged down to there level.
Always believed that in any competitive sport

Our best players have been dragged down to the average level of the pile of dirge around them
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

He's played with Phillips, Saiz and Hernandez so I'm not buying that bollox.
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
fred
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by fred »

Cjay wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:08 pm Driving runs forward when allowed, strength to hold off players after winning the ball, his passing is more accurate then people give him credit for.

He is the only midfielder we have with strength and power.

And hes still a kid.
Still a kid...players don`t tend to get much better after 20. He may be a decent, maybe good `holding` midfielder. My Impression is that he runs very little in games, he looks very static. Would be intersting to know the stats in regard to how much our midfielders run in a game.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

fred wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:24 pm Still a kid...players don`t tend to get much better after 20. He may be a decent, maybe good `holding` midfielder. My Impression is that he runs very little in games, he looks very static. Would be intersting to know the stats in regard to how much our midfielders run in a game.
Thats plainly incorrect.

As a hold midfielder he isnt supposed to run about like a loon, he is meant to patrol jist infront of the back 4 which he does well.
Signed

King Cjay

weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Yes a holding midfielder's primary function is to protect the back 4 so it means predominantly sitting in front of the not moving all over the pitch. The occasional foray forward if he wins the ball and gaps open up in front of him but certainly the normal would be crablike movements rather than covering every blade of grass. He needs time and experience to learn his craft cos he may be better as a box to box midfielder.
fred
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by fred »

Cjay wrote: Thu Apr 05, 2018 6:08 pm Thats plainly incorrect.

As a hold midfielder he isnt supposed to run about like a loon, he is meant to patrol jist infront of the back 4 which he does well.
Yeah, but is he or should he be played solely as a holding midfielder? I remember him being much more attack minded, now he hardly ever comes near to the oponents penalty area. But even as a holding midfielder I find him too static, needn`t rum a marathon, but a bit more movement couldn`t harm. But this critizism may well be down to my wrong perspective.

And yeah, to say that players don`t develope after the age of 20 was a bit over the top. I do believe though that all the relevant parts of what a player is about, can be seen in a young age. You`ll very seldom see that a player adds an aspect to his game that wasn`t to be seen in early years. You learn the game, automatisms grow, your playing intelligence, but technically, that is in regard to football abilities in a narrow sense, I doubt that you get much better.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

fred wrote: Thu Apr 05, 2018 6:33 pm Yeah, but is he or should he be played solely as a holding midfielder? I remember him being much more attack minded, now he hardly ever comes near to the oponents penalty area. But even as a holding midfielder I find him too static, needn`t rum a marathon, but a bit more movement couldn`t harm. But this critizism may well be down to my wrong perspective.

And yeah, to say that players don`t develope after the age of 20 was a bit over the top. I do believe though that all the relevant parts of what a player is about, can be seen in a young age. You`ll very seldom see that a player adds an aspect to his game that wasn`t to be seen in early years. You learn the game, automatisms grow, your playing intelligence, but technically, that is in regard to football abilities in a narrow sense, I doubt that you get much better.
All see different things, entitled to your view.

He isnt perfect by any means but at his age few players are.

Said about Lewis Cook when he left (not here i wasnt on here) but Lewis is the only Leeds player ive ever said im sure he will become an England international about. (Over the last 15 years of course)

Ronaldo Vieira will be an England international one day.

Imo he is as good as Cook, just Cook has more talented teammates, which helps.
Signed

King Cjay

fred
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by fred »

Cjay wrote: Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:20 pm All see different things, entitled to your view.

He isnt perfect by any means but at his age few players are.

Said about Lewis Cook when he left (not here i wasnt on here) but Lewis is the only Leeds player ive ever said im sure he will become an England international about. (Over the last 15 years of course)

Ronaldo Vieira will be an England international one day.

Imo he is as good as Cook, just Cook has more talented teammates, which helps.
Are they comparable though? Cook a box to box midfielder, Viera a `holding` midfielder.
Cook was above all other youngsters (except maybe C. Taylor when he was on form.)
It takes years to develope an understanding of the game, what you should be doing etc.
Cook seems to have chosen the right club to progress further. Wouldn`t be surprised to see him
near the England squad either. Viera though is miles away from that... but I admit that I haven`t a
clue wether or not he can or will get better as a player. In my eyes he needs to be more versatile than he
is at present...being only a holding midfielder seems a rather limited version of a good midfielder, or not?
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

A lot comes down to how people see things. Cjay certainly saw a lot more in Cook than I did. I saw Cook as a bit of a headless chicken - good at running with the ball but no end product. Perhaps a typical english midfielder with the great engine, box to box etc but lacking the final product.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

weasel wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:53 am A lot comes down to how people see things. Cjay certainly saw a lot more in Cook than I did. I saw Cook as a bit of a headless chicken - good at running with the ball but no end product. Perhaps a typical english midfielder with the great engine, box to box etc but lacking the final product.
To me you just described Kalvin Phillips.

Thats how i see him.

Lewis Cook had a calmness on the ball as a youngster, his ball retention was really good which is rare for one so young.

Reminded me of Steven Gerrard.

Vieira is similar imo, not as good a passer as Cook but not awful, decent running with the ball when he gets a chance plus he has that tenacity Cook lacked a bit that Gerrard had.
Signed

King Cjay

fred
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by fred »

weasel wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:53 am A lot comes down to how people see things. Cjay certainly saw a lot more in Cook than I did. I saw Cook as a bit of a headless chicken - good at running with the ball but no end product. Perhaps a typical english midfielder with the great engine, box to box etc but lacking the final product.
True, but I believe he can work on this aspect of his game...much easier than to develope a player in regard to technical abilities etc.
You Need experience to evaluate when and where to run etc.
Still think Cook has the most potential from the buch of kids who came through the academy in th last 5-7 years.
fred
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by fred »

Cjay wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 3:02 pm To me you just described Kalvin Phillips.

Thats how i see him.

Lewis Cook had a calmness on the ball as a youngster, his ball retention was really good which is rare for one so young.

Reminded me of Steven Gerrard.

Vieira is similar imo, not as good a passer as Cook but not awful, decent running with the ball when he gets a chance plus he has that tenacity Cook lacked a bit that Gerrard had.
Agree mostly. Philipps is behind Cook and Viera in regard to their football qualities. But then Viera is way nearer to Philipps than Cook in my eyes.
But I`ll be happy to see Viera prove me wrong. (Can`t see Philipps being more than a hard working but average Championship midfielder.)
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

https://mobile.twitter.com/LUFCDATA/sta ... gr%5Etweet

Ball retention, brilliant Ronnie V, if that means he keeps it simple thats fine, rather keep the ball.
Signed

King Cjay

The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

His job is break up the attack, play the simple first time ball. Saying that though his visionary passing is improving...bar one obvious example Saturday
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2018/05/06/ia ... do-vieira/

Singled out for special praise.

Havent looked but thought he was excellent and probably made more passes and touched the ball more then any other players for us today.

Just looked at his stats.
62 passes-87.2% accuracy.
Only Adam Forshaw and Gianni Alioski had a better accuracy, 89% and 88% respectively.
Significantly less passes though, 37 and 25.

Highest long ball pass accuracy. 8/13

2nd most touches, 71, only Luke Ayling had more with 79.
Signed

King Cjay