Our strikers....

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Our strikers....

Post by SG90 »

Ratscoot wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:24 am Hi ok I’m going to say it, I never thought I’d say this but here goes, gulp!! I’d rather have..... no I’m gonna say it I’d rather have Steve Millwall Morrison here than that useless lump Lassie, I know SMM wasn’t much good but at least he tried and that’s far more than you can say for Lassie :evil: :evil: :evil:

Sorry rant over
The same guy who scored as many as Ekuban and Grot?
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Those are poor stats no doubt.

Still think as a fanbase we decide players are crap far to quickly.

Grot especially, he's 19 years old, ffs give him a a chance.

What if Dalby or Edmondson get stuck on for the final 3 games for 15 mins at the end and do nothing.

Are they crap?

Or what if Jack Clarke starts vs Barnsley and doesnt do anything of note.

Is he crap?
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Cjay wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:40 pm Those are poor stats no doubt.

What if Dalby or Edmondson get stuck on for the final 3 games for 15 mins at the end and do nothing.

Are they crap?

Is he crap?
Problem is they are not ready for championship football

Blame Radz/Orta they signed & threw them in the lion's den

Christiansen/Hecky had precious little alternatives so had to play them CJay
1964white

Post by 1964white »

The other issue is :

Why should 20,000 fans pay for a season-ticket in the championship & watch League One footballers or players that are not ready at championship level ?

I've bought my 2018/19 S/T, will it be devalued once again watching players who are clearly not good enough ?
Dalton
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Dalton »

i guess many are thinking we get more TV money and have more season ticket HOLDERS than Brentford and Millwall get in their average gate combined

yet they seem to do ok, we are in freefall and are rudderless at all levels at the club

or so it seems
My my my, such a lot of guns around town and so few brains
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by andrewjohnsmith »

The timing of Wood's departure was unfortunate. It left us scrambling around at transfer deadline and you would have thought Lassoga (for the short term) and Grot and Cibicki (for the long term) were a decent response. In fairness they identified the weakness and signed Tyler Roberts. What happened there was also unfortunate.

I'm not sure what was envisaged when they brought in Ekuban, most likely that he would have bided his time behind Wood and Roofe. And his first team minutes have probably been more than were predicted at the start of the season. The start of season plan is out the window now. Wood is gone. Lassoga was a decent replacement for a while. The problem is that ever since we've been out of contention, we really don't need Lassoga any more - even more so he's just an inconvenience to our plans for next year - and that's probably contributed a great deal to his drop in form and lethargic demeanor.

What we're left with is Tyler Roberts for next year and a glaring need for an out and out striker. Ekuban and Roofe might do a job off the bench and Grot probably needs League One loan deal.
danhirons
Manager
Manager

Post by danhirons »

1964white wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:03 pm Someone told me he is out of contract at the end of this season with his parent club Hamburg looking likely to be relegated. So Lassoga is gonna have to take a serious look at his finances as I can't see any club paying him the same salary rate he's on now
unfortunately for Hamburg its the end of next season that his contract expires!
1964white

Post by 1964white »

danhirons wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:34 pm unfortunately for Hamburg its the end of next season that his contract expires!
Hamburg will definitely be looking to offload him then

Imagine paying 55k a week to a player playing in the 2nd tier
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

1964white wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:47 pm Problem is they are not ready for championship football

Blame Radz/Orta they signed & threw them in the lion's den

Christiansen/Hecky had precious little alternatives so had to play them CJay
No there not.

Bit disappointed in EKuban, his finishing is poor, but he has shown intelligence with his running so just have to hope.

Grot is as raw as an uncooked steak, but physically he is perfect for a striker so we shall see.

Little thought i have had.

Radz wanted to sack TC for a while, our January was ok but centre back and striker was clearly ignored.

And as it turns out the left back and midfielder we got arent playing anyways because we only sign injured players.

They brought in Tyler Roberts, despite reports and opinions, statistically he wasnt much use in league 1 and could just be poor.

£2.5mil we spent on him, double that we have the top scorer in league 1 or perhaps Mitrovic on loan.

Could the reason they didnt show ambition in January be down to Radz not wanting to spend money on players TC wants but another manager doesnt?

Then once they sacked TC there 1st choice turned us down (i have to believe Hecky wasnt 1st choice) and then we end up with Hecky.
Signed

King Cjay

Elland back
Youth Team
Youth Team
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Post by Elland back »

Cjay wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:40 pm Those are poor stats no doubt.

Are they crap?

Is he crap?
Well said about Grot. The lad needs to go out on loan to a lewague 2 side, get his confidence up as well as his match fitness.

People look at his size and don't realise he is not as mature as the others
Elland back
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Elland back »

1964white wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:53 pm The other issue is :

Why should 20,000 fans pay for a season-ticket in the championship & watch League One footballers or players that are not ready at championship level ?

I've bought my 2018/19 S/T, will it be devalued once again watching players who are clearly not good enough ?
With 3 games left, we need to give to at least establish whether our youth will be ready for next season

If Lonners hadn't been injured and Felix so short on confidence, who here would have given Peacock Farrell a chance?

Nothing is expected of them, if they can step up a la Viera two seasons ago, fantastic....

Let's not forget it was luck that DOL discovered exactly how good the likes of Smith, Kewell, Robbo and Woodgate actually were.
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by andrewjohnsmith »

Elland back wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:31 pm Let's not forget it was luck that DOL discovered exactly how good the likes of Smith, Kewell, Robbo and Woodgate actually were.
So what you're saying is that we should promote Carlos Corberan to manager and we'll have the same success :)
Elland back
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Elland back »

andrewjohnsmith wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:53 pm So what you're saying is that we should promote Carlos Corberan to manager and we'll have the same success :)
I'm not but it couldn't get any worse. Shame Corberan can't speak any English (to speak of).
Clive
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Clive »

SG90 wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:28 am The sad thing is Lasogga isn't even that bad player, it's poor coaching and loss of confidence. I guess when you're dropped to the bench for someone who can't score it won't be good for your morale.
It's something like 10 goals in 20 starts I think, which really isn't bad at all.

I'd fancy him with a one on one more than Wood, too.

No one is blaming Peacock-Farrell for not keeping clean sheets, yet they expect Lasogga to score goals in a team that's playing badly.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Elland back wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:31 pm Let's not forget it was luck that DOL discovered exactly how good the likes of Smith, Kewell, Robbo and Woodgate actually were.
O'Leary had been working closely with the youth team and had been suggesting to George Graham that some of the players were ready. It also was a good idea for DOL to bring the younger players in because they would probably have been more willing to listen to him and his ideas than some of the older players would have been given that he had no managerial experience.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Clive wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:17 pm It's something like 10 goals in 20 starts I think, which really isn't bad at all.

I'd fancy him with a one on one more than Wood, too.

No one is blaming Peacock-Farrell for not keeping clean sheets, yet they expect Lasogga to score goals in a team that's playing badly.
Interesting how many people on here were singing PH's praises and saying how he was getting the best out of Lasogga in the first few matches of PH's reign. Obviously nothing to do with the fact Lasogga had gotten over his injuries and had probably gotten more settled with his homelife with his missus and baby now living in Leeds. Seemingly his second half performance v Millwall hadn't actually happened just as we are told that the players who topped the league and had been top 6 for ages are all actually cr*p.
Clive
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Clive »

weasel wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:14 pm Interesting how many people on here were singing PH's praises and saying how he was getting the best out of Lasogga in the first few matches of PH's reign. Obviously nothing to do with the fact Lasogga had gotten over his injuries and had probably gotten more settled with his homelife with his missus and baby now living in Leeds. Seemingly his second half performance v Millwall hadn't actually happened just as we are told that the players who topped the league and had been top 6 for ages are all actually cr*p.
I remember watching him in the Millwall game. He missed a few chances but he was getting into good positions and I always felt he would score. He's one of those strikers who needs to start and work his way into a game, he's no good off the bench.

These players are apparently so crap that none of them deserve the player of the year award.
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

Clive wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:25 pm I remember watching him in the Millwall game. He missed a few chances but he was getting into good positions and I always felt he would score. He's one of those strikers who needs to start and work his way into a game, he's no good off the bench.

These players are apparently so crap that none of them deserve the player of the year award.
All of his goals this season have been really good finishes, not tap ins or penalties. Once he gets this season out the way, he'll be a monster next season, sadly it won't be for us. I said the exact same thing about Wood and I was right.

People moan about his performance on Friday, but I said I bet he'll come on with 10 mins left and it will be pointless. It's not like we created anything for him anyway.
Clive
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Clive »

SG90 wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:31 pm All of his goals this season have been really good finishes, not tap ins or penalties. Once he gets this season out the way, he'll be a monster next season, sadly it won't be for us. I said the exact same thing about Wood and I was right.
Yeah I saw a player in Wood. His first season was decent to say he was in a poor team and had injury problems.

You can see why Lasogga got in the Germany squad, there's talent there.

I also put a bet on Becchio to be Championship top scorer at 40/1 when we went up. I felt with Beckford leaving he'd step up and get all the goals and I was right. He was close to being top scorer, too.

McCormack always looked good, too, but Grayson favoured Billy Paynter.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Elland back wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:18 pm Well said about Grot. The lad needs to go out on loan to a lewague 2 side, get his confidence up as well as his match fitness.

People look at his size and don't realise he is not as mature as the others
Your right there.

He doesnt look like a boy, he is bigger then most full grown men, think people forget how young he is.
Signed

King Cjay