Virtual Lowfields Road - on your mobile device!

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Gino 1959
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Virtual Lowfields Road - on your mobile device!

Post by Gino 1959 »

Ronan wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:44 pm VLR in it's day was absolutely brilliant.....live commentary on in the background and at it's peak had about 50 people on board during matches....it was a joy !!!

I think live TV coverage of Leeds kind of killed it....but we used to have some great craic there...I look back on it fondly. :tup:
It was, Ronan. A total mad house and great fun especially when a match was rubbish.

I particularly enjoyed fencing with you ;-)
Beware the fury of a patient man - John Dryden.
Ronan
Manager
Manager

Post by Ronan »

Gino 1959 wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:29 pm It was, Ronan. A total mad house and great fun especially when a match was rubbish.

I particularly enjoyed felching with you ;-)
Fixed that for you ,loverboy :shhh:
Most plagiarists, like the drone, have neither taste to select, industry to acquire, nor skill to improve, but impudently pilfer the honey ready prepared, from the hive......
LUFCRACE
Manager
Manager
Twitter: lufcrace

Post by LUFCRACE »

1964white wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 6:06 am I always found VLR that way too Norm just like matchday topics on other forums which seem to go totally off topic & it all becomes somewhat silly. At least our matchday thread is concentrated around the game itself in the main. Faaip, Cjay & others do a fantastic job.
You say that like going off topic and becoming silly is a bad thing Leon - I readily admit I'm not around that much on MOT these days - but that's actually how I remember MOT to be - yes, we'd discuss the football, but there was also a VERY heavy element of off topic and silliness. That's kind of why I stuck around and read daily for so long...

If you want to believe that I am trying to pull people away from MOT, then fair enough, but you are wrong. I'm not sure what else I can say to persuade you of that.
BRING BACK BRADDERS

International English and maths study programmes for children of all ages and abilities. Give us a shout if you think your child could benefit.
www.facebook.com/KumonWakefieldNorth
Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Norm »

LUFCRACE wrote:
If you want to believe that I am trying to pull people away from MOT, then fair enough, but you are wrong. I'm not sure what else I can say to persuade you of that.
BRING BACK BRADDERS
I don't think you are trying to pull people away from MOT - after all you have to be on MOT to get in VLR.
Twiggs was very proud of it and promoted it heavily, especially when it first came in. I think it's just a case of horses for courses - I found it a bit manic at times but it was intended to be that way. I could see the attraction for somebody wanting the craic but, overall, I just prefer the matchday thread. I may try VLR once or twice to check out the new format but tend to think I'll be on the matchday thread out of choice. Best of luck with promoting it.
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Post by HarryofOz »

Norm wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:44 am I don't think you are trying to pull people away from MOT - after all you have to be on MOT to get in VLR.
Twiggs was very proud of it and promoted it heavily, especially when it first came in. I think it's just a case of horses for courses - I found it a bit manic at times but it was intended to be that way. I could see the attraction for somebody wanting the craic but, overall, I just prefer the matchday thread. I may try VLR once or twice to check out the new format but tend to think I'll be on the matchday thread out of choice. Best of luck with promoting it.
Thanks Norm, as you say, each to his/her own.
Un Marcelo Bielsa, solo hay un Marcelo Bielsa. Gracias Marcello. Marsching on together.
becchio bear
Superstar
Superstar
Twitter: @Becchiobear

Post by becchio bear »

Norm wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:44 am I don't think you are trying to pull people away from MOT - after all you have to be on MOT to get in VLR.
It's not manic now Norm, it's very sedate :P :bear:
I'm going back to 505, I saw them at Sheffield and they were amazing.
Gino 1959
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Gino 1959 »

I manage to avoid VLR and the match day thread at the same time so they can coexist...
Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Norm »

becchio bear wrote:

It's not manic now Norm, it's very sedate :P :bear:
Witch! ;-)
Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Norm »

Gino 1959 wrote:

I manage to avoid VLR and the match-day thread at the same time so they can coexist...
...yet still be mutually exclusive - very clever, even if that's not the intent. I don't have many games left before the end of the season in which to try out the new VLR and I said I would so I have to make up my mind which one I'm going to try. I remember trying to use VLR whilst keeping track of a game thread some years ago. I don't remember when it was but I'm pretty sure it was before faaip and 1964white joined us. I found it very difficult to switch back and forth from mayhem to calm and keep track of even my own points of view.
Suffice to say it was not only entertaining but also mildly exhausting. Beer was needed!
Gino 1959
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Gino 1959 »

The game was often secondary, Norm, but it was a blast in that anarchic crazy house.

A lot of the fun was in trying to keep up with multiple simultaneous conversations.

Often answers appeared out of context with predictably hilarious results.

A competition-free poll-free feast of fun.
Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Norm »

Gino 1959 wrote:
The game was often secondary, Norm, but it was a blast in that anarchic crazy house.

A lot of the fun was in trying to keep up with multiple simultaneous conversations.

I'd forgotten that part but now you mention it...
I've even forgotten what happened with VLR in the off-season. To your knowledge was it ever used for non-Leeds United sporting events? Cue for 'RACE and BB - they'll remember I'm sure, seeing as they've apparently got relatively little else to do. ;-)
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Post by HarryofOz »

Norm wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:32 pm I'd forgotten that part but now you mention it...
I've even forgotten what happened with VLR in the off-season. To your knowledge was it ever used for non-Leeds United sporting events? Cue for 'RACE and BB - they'll remember I'm sure, seeing as they've apparently got relatively little else to do. ;-)
Many years ago, we used to have a Friday night get together. Chat about any topic under the sun.
Un Marcelo Bielsa, solo hay un Marcelo Bielsa. Gracias Marcello. Marsching on together.
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Post by HarryofOz »

Gino 1959 wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:14 pm The game was often secondary, Norm, but it was a blast in that anarchic crazy house.

The game was mostly secondary because the way we've mostly played for the last 15 years hasn't been worth talking about :twisted:
becchio bear
Superstar
Superstar
Twitter: @Becchiobear

Post by becchio bear »

Norm wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:32 pm I'd forgotten that part but now you mention it...
Oy cheeky, looks like I have my first shed guest :P

I don't recall it being used for anything else though but like H says we did used to have COT (Chatting on Together) on a Friday night which was fun :bear:
I'm going back to 505, I saw them at Sheffield and they were amazing.
Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Norm »

becchio bearwrote: ↑

Oy cheeky, looks like I have my first shed guest :P

I don't recall it being used for anything else though but like H says we did used to have COT (Chatting on Together) on a Friday night which was fun :bear:
'Guest' is also the opening syllable of a well-known organisation from WWII - I can see I'll have to watch my Ps and Qs.
The time zone could be a problem for me, but it must have been a problem for H too.
If you plan to have a COT this year please let me know and I'll get involved.
Gino 1959
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Gino 1959 »

I think Ronan still runs his Coming On Together room on a Monday night...
Ronan
Manager
Manager

Post by Ronan »

Gino 1959 wrote: Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:49 pm I think Ronan still runs his Coming On Together room on a Monday night...
...and Tuesday,Wednesday,Thursday....etc :poorly:
Most plagiarists, like the drone, have neither taste to select, industry to acquire, nor skill to improve, but impudently pilfer the honey ready prepared, from the hive......