The Visual/Music Discussion Thread

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Re: The Music Discussion Thread - Your favourite Pink Floyd albums ?

Post by 1964white »

faaip wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 6:17 pm Sorrow from Pulse played through a proper hi fi is just downright dirty .....Marantz SACD system through Floor standing Mission speakers ...Next door has to go out
We had a new patio laid by our builder/friend Rob last week. He had his iPod on, I told him to turn it up, he replied "you are the only client to ask me to turn the music up, normally I'm asked to turn the volume down". Rob loves his new music so I played him the Dead South song 'In Hell I'll Be In Good Company' well it freaked him out so much so he said "I must go buy that album" Next morning he turns up looking gloomy as he couldn't find the album on iTunes.
Anyway next day he parks up his van in our driveway windows down with Dead South blasting out, he jumps out of his van with a gleeful look on his face equipped with his music blaster, then the four of us ended up doing the dance on our lawn inspired by Jill, thankfully our neighbours couldn't see our frolicking at eight 'o' clock in the morning :shock:
He played the album all day long
1964white

Post by 1964white »

John in Louisiana wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 7:11 pm Animals has always been my favorite. Gilmour's playing is monstrously good.
One of the eight Floyd albums I played today John

Gilmour's guitar is superb as you say :tup:
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

1964white wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 7:58 pm We had a new patio laid by our builder/friend Rob last week. He had his iPod on, I told him to turn it up, he replied "you are the only client to ask me to turn the music up, normally I'm asked to turn the volume down". Rob loves his new music so I played him the Dead South song 'In Hell I'll Be In Good Company' well it freaked him out so much so he said "I must go buy that album" Next morning he turns up looking gloomy as he couldn't find the album on iTunes.
Anyway next day he parks up his van in our driveway windows down with Dead South blasting out, he jumps out of his van with a gleeful look on his face equipped with his music blaster, then the four of us ended up doing the dance on our lawn inspired by Jill, thankfully our neighbours couldn't see our frolicking at eight 'o' clock in the morning :shock:
He played the album all day long
Good to hear, happy to have bought them to the forum. hit him with some Larkin Poe tomorrow,

"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Rob has finished the work but I'll pass your recommendation on as he lives in our village
Gandalf
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Gandalf »

I'd struggle between Meddle, WYWH, and Division Bell. Strangely, the ones I'm playing the most at the moment are the two David Gilmour live sets, Gdansk and Pompeii. All the old Floyd standards, plus his solo stuff. Gdansk has the final live appearance of Richard Wright before his death, which makes it doubly immense.
Delapsus Resurgam - When I fall I shall rise!
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Gandalf wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 9:20 pm I'd struggle between Meddle, WYWH, and Division Bell. Strangely, the ones I'm playing the most at the moment are the two David Gilmour live sets, Gdansk and Pompeii. All the old Floyd standards, plus his solo stuff. Gdansk has the final live appearance of Richard Wright before his death, which makes it doubly immense.
'Meddle' another firm favourite :tup:
NorfolkWhite
Manager
Manager

Post by NorfolkWhite »

faaip wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 6:17 pm Sorrow from Pulse played through a proper hi fi is just downright dirty .....Marantz SACD system through Floor standing Mission speakers ...Next door has to go out
Always been a bit of a hi-fi nut myself, one of my darkest days when I lost my entire LP collection when we had a flood in our house whilst on holiday a few years back - distraught when I sold my Clearaudio TT :verysad: Managed to replace just about everything with CD now but couldn't face trying to source all that vinyl again. Currently on Lector CDP / DAC, Unison Research Amp and Leema speakers, very analogue sound.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

So before I head onto the next band on today's playlist

Cat, Faaip, Gandi, Hector, John & myself are the true Floyd fans on here ?
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

God this is a voice and a half isn't it? Add to that some great song writing....Introducing Barns Courtney

Born in England, Seattle raised til 14 then back to Blighty
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
NorfolkWhite
Manager
Manager

Post by NorfolkWhite »

1964white wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 12:28 pm So before I head onto the next band on today's playlist

Must confess to not being a PF aficionado but if you're widening it out to Roger Waters - Pros and Cons of Hitchhiking is one of my faves (and another one for a decent hifi).
1964white

Post by 1964white »

NorfolkWhite wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 3:31 pm Must confess to not being a PF aficionado but if you're widening it out to Roger Waters - Pros and Cons of Hitchhiking is one of my faves (and another one for a decent hifi).
I much prefer 'Amused To Death' Norfolk
Muppet the Cat

Post by Muppet the Cat »

1964white wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 12:28 pm So before I head onto the next band on today's playlist

First song that popped up on my iPod 'shuffle all songs' this morning was 'Lord of This World' from Sabbath's Master of Reality album - fantastic and well worthy of 5 stars

On the lines of your 5 best Floyd albums, with Sabbath it's probably a far easier choice needing less thought............basically the first 5 (although I do like the Dio era, Heaven and Hell), albeit I struggle between which one to put 1st - MoR or Paranoid.

I recall going to see the Heaven and Hell date in Queen's Hall, would have been '80, maybe 81...............but had never seen them with Ozzy, until last Feb, when I saw the last date of The End, in Birmingham, which was brilliant :moggy:
hector

Post by hector »

1964white wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 6:28 pm I much prefer 'Amused To Death' Norfolk
that is my fav Waters album too Mr 64
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Muppet the Cat wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 7:02 pm 64,
First song that popped up on my iPod 'shuffle all songs' this morning was 'Lord of This World' from Sabbath's Master of Reality album - fantastic and well worthy of 5 stars

On the lines of your 5 best Floyd albums, with Sabbath it's probably a far easier choice needing less thought............basically the first 5 (although I do like the Dio era, Heaven and Hell), albeit I struggle between which one to put 1st - MoR or Paranoid.

I recall going to see the Heaven and Hell date in Queen's Hall, would have been '80, maybe 81...............but had never seen them with Ozzy, until last Feb, when I saw the last date of The End, in Birmingham, which was brilliant :moggy:
First five Sabbath for me too Cat

Believe it not 'Sabbath Bloody Sabbath' is my favourite
NorfolkWhite
Manager
Manager

Post by NorfolkWhite »

1964white wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 6:28 pm I much prefer 'Amused To Death' Norfolk
Both good albums, surprised we don't have a nomination for a Waters album in our League.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

NorfolkWhite wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 7:56 am Both good albums, surprised we don't have a nomination for a Waters album in our League.
Well several of you will have the opportunity to nominated Floyd related albums soon

I'm surprised two of their No.1 albums 'Wish You Were Here' & 'Atom Heart Mother' plus the magnificent 'Meddle' have't received nominations.

The only three successful obscure albums nominated so far are both Midlake albums & Counting Crows 'August'
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Here we go again

One band that came late to me was The Clash thanks to an ex-member on here & my patience & persistence to listen to their albums pressing the repeat button.

My favourite albums in this order (played over the last two days)

Sandinista - Absolutely sublime, it features funk, reggae, jazz, gospel, rockabilly, folk, dub, rhythm and blues, calypso, disco, and rap. Sandinista has everything 8-)

Kingston Advice : Live in Jamaica - Brilliant live bootleg album

Live : From Here To Eternity - Another cracking live album from the London boys. Great live band

London Calling - Majority will claim LC is their greatest work.....sorry to disappoint it isn't.

The Clash - One of the greatest punk albums of all-time

Favourite songs

The Magnificent Seven
Guns Of Brixton
Hitsville UK
plus many more.......

Clash chart facts

Give 'Em Enough Rope & Combat Rock reached No.2, their highest chart albums.
Combat Rock was their only top ten album in the USA.
The Clash had to wait until 1990 for their first their first & only No.1 single with the re-released 'Should I Go Or Should I Stay' which originally charted at No.17 in 1982, their only top ten hit in the UK.
Rock The Casbah was the band's only top ten hit in the USA.
Muppet the Cat

Post by Muppet the Cat »

1964white wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 8:25 pm Here we go again

One band that came late to me was The Clash thanks to an ex-member on here & my patience & persistence to listen to their albums pressing the repeat button.

My favourite albums in this order (played over the last two days)

Sandinista - Absolutely sublime, it features funk, reggae, jazz, gospel, rockabilly, folk, dub, rhythm and blues, calypso, disco, and rap. Sandinista has everything 8-)

Kingston Advice : Live in Jamaica - Brilliant live bootleg album

Live : From Here To Eternity - Another cracking live album from the London boys. Great live band

London Calling - Majority will claim LC is their greatest work.....sorry to disappoint it isn't.

The Clash - One of the greatest punk albums of all-time

Favourite songs

The Magnificent Seven
Guns Of Brixton
Hitsville UK
plus many more.......

Clash chart facts

Give 'Em Enough Rope & Combat Rock reached No.2, their highest chart albums.
Combat Rock was their only top ten album in the USA.
The Clash had to wait until 1990 for their first their first & only No.1 single with the re-released 'Should I Go Or Should I Stay' which originally charted at No.17 in 1982, their only top ten hit in the UK.
Rock The Casbah was the band's only top ten hit in the USA.
Got to disagree 64 London Calling is without doubt the finest Clash album and one of the best albums ever (certainly in my Top 5).

Followed by The Clash, Black Market Clash, Give 'Em Enough Rope (very underrated and contains the great track 'Stay Free') and then I guess Combat Rock.

Nod an album I know, but a fab EP - The Cost of Living EP (inc. the classics Capital Radio, Gates of The West, I Fought the Law)

I just think Sandinista rambles on needlessly just Jones/Strummer wanted to make a point and fill 6 sides - a classic case of quantity, not quality.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Re: The Music Discussion Thread - Your favourite Clash albums ?

Post by The Subhuman »

Agreed London Calling is the master piece.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Muppet the Cat wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 10:09 pm Got to disagree 64 London Calling is without doubt the finest Clash album and one of the best albums ever (certainly in my Top 5).
I knew I'd be in a minority :)

The Clash moved on & showed their class unlike so many other bands whom play safe