The Visual/Music Discussion Thread

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Re: The Music Discussion Thread - Your favourite Pink Floyd albums ?

Post by 1964white »

Muppet the Cat wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 10:09 pm
I just think Sandinista rambles on needlessly just Jones/Strummer wanted to make a point and fill 6 sides - a classic case of quantity, not quality.
What :shock:

Not just post-punk then ?

You won't enjoy Strummer's solo works then Cat ?
Muppet the Cat

Post by Muppet the Cat »

1964white wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 6:53 am What :shock:

Not just post-punk then ?

You won't enjoy Strummer's solo works then Cat ?
No, to be honest I don't rate it. I did try with the Earthquake Weather album in the late 80's but no it left me a bit cold and I never liked The Mescaleros phase either.

Mind you, to be fair I never rated Mick Jones's efforts with BAD either.

The Clash were a great band, but the individual members never, in my opinion, did anything to write home about afterwards.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Re: The Music Discussion Thread - Your favourite Clash albums ?

Post by The Subhuman »

Whereas PiL surpassed the Pistols .....I do like BA D in the main, though the albums are patchy at times. I do have a couple of Strummer albums but I really have to be in the mood these days.
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
NorfolkWhite
Manager
Manager

Post by NorfolkWhite »

Muppet the Cat wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 11:26 am No, to be honest I don't rate it. I did try with the Earthquake Weather album in the late 80's but no it left me a bit cold and I never liked The Mescaleros phase either.

Mind you, to be fair I never rated Mick Jones's efforts with BAD either.

The Clash were a great band, but the individual members never, in my opinion, did anything to write home about afterwards.
They were on Absolute 80s the other night with E=MC2 so they must be good ;-)

Gonna upset 64 here, but another vote for London Calling as their best album (also the first single I ever bought) - big fan of Sandinista as well though. Favourite track from LC "Lost in the Supermarket" - probably not the best but always just been one of my faves.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

NorfolkWhite wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 4:13 pm They were on Absolute 80s the other night with E=MC2 so they must be good ;-)

Gonna upset 64 here, but another vote for London Calling as their best album (also the first single I ever bought) - big fan of Sandinista as well though. Favourite track from LC "Lost in the Supermarket" - probably not the best but always just been one of my faves.
No upsetting me at all Norfolk. I expected most would go for London Calling.

I enjoy being in a minority 8-) Sandinista is a much more varied album & an ambitious piece of work
NorfolkWhite
Manager
Manager

Post by NorfolkWhite »

1964white wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 4:25 pm No upsetting me at all Norfolk. I expected most would go for London Calling.

I enjoy being in a minority 8-) Sandinista is a much more varied album
I know you're not really that easily upset :)
Muppet the Cat

Post by Muppet the Cat »

NorfolkWhite wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 4:13 pm They were on Absolute 80s the other night with E=MC2 so they must be good ;-)

Got to agree, Norfolk Lost in the Supermarket is my favourite track from the album as well................followed by Spanish Bombs, The Card Cheat, Four Horseman and Wrong 'em boyo
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Always loved Rudi can't Fail ...
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Muppet the Cat

Post by Muppet the Cat »

faaip wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 11:38 am Whereas PiL surpassed the Pistols .....I do like BA D in the main, though the albums are patchy at times. I do have a couple of Strummer albums but I really have to be in the mood these days.
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

How can anything PIL did ever surpass the likes of Pretty Vacant, Anarchy......, God Save...., Holidays.... !! and to be honest every other track on NMtB.

OK, the PIstols are in effect only a one album band...............but what an album !!!
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Oh I love PiL
1964white

Post by 1964white »

faaip wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 7:11 pmOh I love PiL
PiL above the Pistols for me :tup:
Muppet the Cat

Post by Muppet the Cat »

1964white wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 7:18 pm PiL above the Pistols for me :tup:
:shock: :roll: :shock: :roll: :shock: :roll: :shock: :roll:
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Muppet the Cat wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 7:19 pm :shock: :roll: :shock: :roll: :shock: :roll: :shock:
:rol: :rol: :rol:
Muppet the Cat

Post by Muppet the Cat »

Your first single.........always a good one, but quite often an embarrassing choice on later reflection, when your musical taste, you think, is somewhat more refined

To start us off, of which I'm quite proud of my 8yr old self, mine was in 1972........The Jean Genie by David Bowie
(I recall I had to say up about 5 weeks pocket money, which from memory was 5p a week to get it..........and I bought in a record shop in York, just down from what was the Polar Ford garage/showroom. The bargain bonus was that the B side was Ziggy Stardust, which to this day is one of my favourite tracks. I played that single to death and still have it)

:moggy:
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Oh the countdown has begun it seems...another false dawn? I hope not ....whisper it real quiet

Tool are back
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

a very small taster from the greatest band on the planet, It's been 12 years and counting and will be the fifth album in 25 years
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

It's gonna be a Tool weekend ....I can feel it

1964white

Post by 1964white »

Muppet the Cat wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 7:28 pm Your first single.........always a good one, but quite often an embarrassing choice on later reflection, when your musical taste, you think, is somewhat more refined

To start us off, of which I'm quite proud of my 8yr old self, mine was in 1972........The Jean Genie by David Bowie
(I recall I had to say up about 5 weeks pocket money, which from memory was 5p a week to get it..........and I bought in a record shop in York, just down from what was the Polar Ford garage/showroom. The bargain bonus was that the B side was Ziggy Stardust, which to this day is one of my favourite tracks. I played that single to death and still have it)

:moggy:
One of the great 'b' sides Cat :tup: from The Rise & Fall Of Ziggy Stardust album of course. Love Bowie's music 8-)

First 45rpm purchase was either the Beatles 'Twist & Shout' or 'From Me To You'
bought them both but I can't recall in what order

First LP purchase Simon & Garfunkel 'Bridge Over Troubled Water'
Muppet the Cat

Post by Muppet the Cat »

Whilst, I haven't read all the preceding 1848 pages of this thread, going back to March 2010, one thing has struck me from the pages I have read and the album and songs of the decades votes I've not seen one single reference (apologies if I've missed it) to the only UK artist who has sold >250 million records (only beaten by The Beatles and more than The Rolling Stones, Pink Floyd, Led Zep etc..)..........Elton John.

Maybe not everyone's cup of tea and these days seemingly having a bit of a pantomime dame personna, but he has made some absolutely tremendous records, albeit heavily weighted to his early/mid 1970's earlier career output.................absolute classics such as Rocket Man, Candle in the Wind, Goodbye Yellow Brick Road, your Song, Tiny Dancer, Daniel, Border Song, Don't Let the Sun Go Down On Me, Funeral for a Friend....................and many, many more.

I'm sure I read somewhere, or maybe it was on one of those BBC 4 docs that in 1972/73 one in five of all records sold in the world was by Elton John, which is just a jaw dropping statistic.

Top 5 Elton albums:
1. (without question and nailed on) - Goodbye Yellow Brick Road
2. Captain Fantastic and the Brown Dirt Cowboy
3. Don't Shoot Me, I'm Only the Piano Player
4. Honky Chataeau
5. Madman Across the Water

Of his later output a nod to 2001's 'Songs From the West Coast'

Elton, I sense is one of those artists that will only really get the recognition he so much deserves when he's no longer here. (Does that sound a bit morbid ??)
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

No I'm very high on Eltons work up to maybe Rock of the Westies, I have Capt. Fantastic at 1 though, then GYBR.