O/T Royal Wedding

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
AndyG
Ballboy
Ballboy

Re: O/T Royal Wedding

Post by AndyG »

lufc1304 wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 11:50 am I'd rather watch my own execution. £30 million to stage, when millions in this country go hungry.
Yep, with you 100%. The fact that we still have a "Royal Family" in the 21st century is an obscenity.

My wife was watching it on Sky and that stupid Kay Burly summed up what's wrong with this country (without realising it) when she said, as Markle approached the church, "She goes in for the last time as a commoner". A "commoner!!"
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

AndyG wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 4:25 pm Yep, with you 100%. The fact that we still have a "Royal Family" in the 21st century is an obscenity
Why is it because we're in the 21st century ? I don't understand your point
AndyG wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 4:25 pm My wife was watching it on Sky and that stupid Kay Burly summed up what's wrong with this country (without realising it) when she said, as Markle approached the church, "She goes in for the last time as a commoner". A "commoner!!"
Agree with you on Kay Burley & Kirsty Young (on BBC)
AndyG
Ballboy
Ballboy

Post by AndyG »

1964white wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 4:38 pm Why is it because we're in the 21st century ? I don't understand your point
Fair point. Monarchy is probably three or four centuries out of date.
Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Norm »

Funny thing but Harry hasn't got the Hewitt forehead - he has the Mountbatten forehead and narrow-spaced eyes. It's only the ginger hair but not the same hue, but people will think what they think.

I like Her Maj - I think she's done a fantastic job of representing us over the years. I'd far rather have our (immediate) Royal Family than the likes of 'non-King' Trump representing us, because that's the alternative. She's unelected, with no political power, only her gracious presence. What the future holds with Charles or William no one can tell, but they have to have learned from the example set by Her Maj.

If the Royal Family were to be disbanded forthwith, the poor in our society would probably not benefit by one penny piece because the political mob would take over their assets in ways we can't imagine. Any promises to share their wealth amongst the populace would get broken like they all are, so for me, I hope they stay like they are.

Today's wedding is a bit of a sham but millions will love it for what it is, a 'Pomp and Circumstance' special event. This is true of Americans almost more than UK citizens.

I have the right to say what I have said and have taken it - my views are my own business and nobody else's.

If anyone is offended by my words, I'm sure they'll get over it.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

AndyG wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 5:04 pm Fair point. Monarchy is probably three or four centuries out of date.
Why is it out of date ?

Take out our monarchy then our history, religious faith & good values this country stands for are gone especially with the prospect of dictatorship rule

Apart from the royal family whom are respected worldwide we have lost every tradition in all aspects of life as a nation & we are not a better place for the values we've lost !
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Norm wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 5:21 pm Funny thing but Harry hasn't got the Hewitt forehead - he has the Mountbatten forehead and narrow-spaced eyes. It's only the ginger hair but not the same hue, but people will think what they think.

I like Her Maj - I think she's done a fantastic job of representing us over the years. I'd far rather have our (immediate) Royal Family than the likes of 'non-King' Trump representing us, because that's the alternative. She's unelected, with no political power, only her gracious presence. What the future holds with Charles or William no one can tell, but they have to have learned from the example set by Her Maj.

If the Royal Family were to be disbanded forthwith, the poor in our society would probably not benefit by one penny piece because the political mob would take over their assets in ways we can't imagine. Any promises to share their wealth amongst the populace would get broken like they all are, so for me, I hope they stay like they are.

Today's wedding is a bit of a sham but millions will love it for what it is, a 'Pomp and Circumstance' special event. This is true of Americans almost more than UK citizens.

I have the right to say what I have said and have taken it - my views are my own business and nobody else's.

Great post Norm :tup:
hector

Post by hector »

1964white wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 5:45 pm Great post Norm :tup:
Ditto :tup:
Song machine is coming down....
And we're gonna have a party Uhuhu
Muppet the Cat

Post by Muppet the Cat »

hector wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 5:55 pmDitto :tup:
100% agree
AndyG
Ballboy
Ballboy

Post by AndyG »

1964white wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 5:42 pm Why is it out of date ?

Take out our monarchy then our history, religious faith & good values this country stands for are gone especially with the prospect of dictatorship rule

Apart from the royal family whom are respected worldwide we have lost every tradition in all aspects of life as a nation & we are not a better place for the values we've lost !
Really? Explain what traditions and values we've lost.

And how does dictatorship take over when monarchy goes?
1964white

Post by 1964white »

AndyG wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 5:59 pm Really? Explain what traditions and values we've lost.
You maybe watching one at Wembley now
AndyG wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 5:59 pm And how does dictatorship take over when monarchy goes?
The thought of someone like Trump/Putin at the helm is a frightening prospect !
AndyG
Ballboy
Ballboy

Post by AndyG »

1964white wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 6:04 pm You maybe watching one at Wembley now

The thought of someone like Trump/Putin at the helm is a frightening !
The FA Cup not kicking off at 3pm you mean? Not really that devastating a loss to our traditions and values is it? Is that all you've got?

I'll give you Putin but Trump is not a dictator and will be replaced by a democratic system. Many countries have got rid of monarchies and not become dictatorships.
fred
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by fred »

The queen is a reptilian if I`m informed correctly...
AndyG
Ballboy
Ballboy

Post by AndyG »

Norm wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 5:21 pm Funny thing but Harry hasn't got the Hewitt forehead - he has the Mountbatten forehead and narrow-spaced eyes. It's only the ginger hair but not the same hue, but people will think what they think.

Although I don't agree with what you say, you definitely have the right to say it and I don't see why anyone should be offended by it.
fred
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by fred »

Norm wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 5:21 pm If the Royal Family were to be disbanded forthwith, the poor in our society would probably not benefit by one penny piece because the political mob would take over their assets in ways we can't imagine. Any promises to share their wealth amongst the populace would get broken like they all are, so for me, I hope they stay like they are.
The Royals aren`t aloud to interfer with politics. But fact is that the queen has massiv influence, of course following her own agenda.

What puzzles me is how anybody could believe to be represented adaequately by any other person.
O.k., the big mass of averageness maybe...
John in Louisiana
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by John in Louisiana »

lufc1304 wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 11:50 am I'd rather watch my own execution. £30 million to stage, when millions in this country go hungry.
I teach this stuff at a university here in the US.............

Thirty million is actually sort of insubstantial compared to the tourism money - direct and indirect - events like this generate. It will be a net positive for the country.

Not being British it certainly isn't my place to say this, but the royal family's tourism value is one of the best arguments for keeping them around.
Last edited by John in Louisiana on Sat May 19, 2018 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Norm »

AndyG wrote:

Although I don't agree with what you say, you definitely have the right to say it and I don't see why anyone should be offended by it.
Thank you Andy - I appreciate the thought and respect your views. :tup:
liggy
First Team
First Team

Post by liggy »

becchio bear wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 6:58 amI just don't like the Markle, cannot warm to her at all. She comes across as false and rather sly and don't get me started on her "
MEEEEE-OWWWWW :shirtw:

I was in floods & her mam lady merkle looked lovely in lilac :love:
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

No interest in the Royals, quite happy we have them. They're quintessentially British....and well said Norm.
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
AndyG
Ballboy
Ballboy

Post by AndyG »

John in Louisiana wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 6:38 pm I teach this stuff at a university here in the US.............

Thirty million is actually sort of insubstantial compared to the tourism money - direct and indirect - events like this generate. It will be a net positive for the country.

Not being British it certainly isn't my place to say this, but the royal family's tourism value is one of the best arguments for keeping them around.
That's a line that's often trotted out by Royalists but please explain how that works exactly.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

AndyG wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 6:13 pm The FA Cup not kicking off at 3pm you mean? Not really that devastating a loss to our traditions and values is it? Is that all you've got?
My god where do I start

Old traditions diminishing/dying

Sporting Events
Local cricket/bowls clubs
Record shops
Banks
Building Societies
Pubs
High Street shops
Religion
Meaning of Christmas
Bonfire night
Morris dancing in villages
Communicating & caring with your neighbours
Respect, humanity & courtesy
a) (holding doors open for someone behind you)
b) (giving up your seat for a lady/pensioner on public transport)
Children playing out in streets & on parks
Children showing a lack of respect to adults
Comedy/sense of humour down to the pc world that we now live in !