England World Cup Squad 2018

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

England World Cup Squad 2018

Post by 1964white »

Screenshot 2018-05-16 at 21.51.06.png

Goalkeepers: Jack Butland (Stoke), Jordan Pickford (Everton), Nick Pope (Burnley).

Defenders: Trent Alexander-Arnold (Liverpool), Gary Cahill (Chelsea), Fabian Delph (Manchester City), Phil Jones (Manchester United), Harry Maguire (Leicester), Danny Rose (Tottenham Hotspur), John Stones (Manchester City), Kieran Trippier (Tottenham Hotspur), Kyle Walker (Manchester City), Ashley Young (Manchester United).

Midfielders:Dele Alli (Tottenham Hotspur), Eric Dier (Tottenham Hotspur), Jordan Henderson (Liverpool), Jesse Lingard (Manchester United), Ruben Loftus-Cheek (Chelsea).

Forwards:Harry Kane (Tottenham), Marcus Rashford (Manchester United), Raheem Sterling (Manchester City), Jamie Vardy (Leicester), Danny Welbeck (Arsenal).

Standby: Lewis Cook (Bournemouth), Tom Heaton (Burnley), Adam Lallana (Liverpool), Jake Livermore (West Brom), James Tarkowski (Burnley).
Gandalf
Superstar
Superstar

Re: England World Cup Squad 2018

Post by Gandalf »

Other than Lallana and Ryan Bertrand, I think that that squad is the best that could be hoped for. It would have been nice to see Lewis in there, but realistically, it has come too early for him.
Delapsus Resurgam - When I fall I shall rise!
Muppet the Cat

Post by Muppet the Cat »

I think Cahill's lucky to be included and the same could be said for Welbeck, although to be fair his goals/game ratio for England isn't bad, so maybe he's a bench warming option...............and we're not really blessed with alternatives at the moment.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

FIXED

Goalkeepers: Jack Butland (Stoke), Jordan Pickford (Everton), Nick Pope (Burnley).

Defenders: Trent Alexander-Arnold (Liverpool), Gary Cahill (Chelsea), Fabian Delph (Leeds), Phil Jones (Manchester United), Harry Maguire (Leicester), Danny Rose (Leeds), John Stones (Manchester City), Kieran Trippier (Tottenham Hotspur), Kyle Walker (Manchester City), Ashley Young (Manchester United).

Midfielders:Dele Alli (Tottenham Hotspur), Eric Dier (Tottenham Hotspur), Jordan Henderson (Liverpool), Jesse Lingard (Manchester United), Ruben Loftus-Cheek (Chelsea).

Forwards:Harry Kane (Tottenham), Marcus Rashford (Manchester United), Raheem Sterling (Manchester City), Jamie Vardy (Leicester), Danny Welbeck (Arsenal).

Standby: Lewis Cook (Leeds), Tom Heaton (Burnley), Adam Lallana (Liverpool), Jake Livermore (Leeds), James Tarkowski (Burnley).
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Dalton
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Dalton »

Wellbeck usually cant hit a barn door but like it has been said, does seem to hit the back of the net occasionally for England
My my my, such a lot of guns around town and so few brains
Genghers
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Genghers »

Can't believe Jones is going ahead of Lascelles.

Livermore over Shelvey is questionable as well considering how much he's played.
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

Should have taken Sancho and Lookman. We desperately need some x factor to mix it up from the bench, our subs are always like for like or very limited in what they offer. There's little creativity there.
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by andrewjohnsmith »

Welbeck is a surprise and completely undeserved. I hear the comments about guys like Jones and Cahill but we need some experience in defence. I probably would have considered Smalling for the same reason. Only other issue I have is the lack of depth in center midfield. Dier and Henderson have to play - does that make Delph, who doesn't even play there for club the only back up? Given that Dier might drop into a back 3 for injury or tactical reasons, there must be some contingency planing on Southgate's part that I don't see. For that reason I would have definitely included Wilshere at the expense of Alexander-Arnold.