Aston Villa

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Aston Villa

Post by SG90 »

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/20 ... ds-threat/

I know everyone laughed and loved it when it was us, but I can't understand why fans of other clubs celebrate when others are in trouble. I know how painful it is for the fans. Another good club destroyed by terrible ownership.

On a side note, I wonder if any of their players would be available on loan or low fees. I know they'd be on huge wages, but I'd love Chester and Adomah if we could get them.
Muppet the Cat

Re: Aston Villa

Post by Muppet the Cat »

Have read the Telegraph piece SG90.

The name of Trevor Birch seems to get wheeled out whenever any 'bigger' club has got themselves into a financial pickle. I'm sure he was used by Leeds back when we started going pear shaped financially. He must be minted, with all th work he gets !
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Feel sorry for Villa fans.

Rivalry aside, wouldn't want to see another big old club go through the s**t like us.

But, the thing about there owner struggling to get cash out of CHina makes sense.

Its apparently why the Wanda Group (whose founder and Chairman on his own is worth £22billion) its why they sold there stake in Atletico Madrid.

All very complicated apparently, but if they struggled can see why a small fry ( compared to Wanda) like Tony Xia would have issues.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
NorfolkWhite
Manager
Manager

Post by NorfolkWhite »

I don't mind Villa as a club and feel for their fans but a couple of things stand out to me.

- Dr Xia says "we have invested heavily in the last two seasons" - what he means is "we have gambled heavily in the last 2 seasons" - and now we are in the do do because it didn't come off.....where was the contingency plan to cover not getting promoted and planning where the cash was to come from to plug the gaps. If his money is tied up abroad then surely he could have had a sniff of that coming?

- "Bruce may walk because of the financial position". Ok, this is just a comment and he may well not do, but it would be good to see Bruce coming out in support of the club and pledging his future to work with them to get through a difficult period....or does he just fancy a tilt with another club where there is a bit more cash sloshing around to try and buy another promotion?

Villa fans will be there to deal with what's left of the mess, sounds all too familiar.
Gandalf
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Gandalf »

SG90 wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:00 pm https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/20 ... ds-threat/

I know everyone laughed and loved it when it was us, but I can't understand why fans of other clubs celebrate when others are in trouble. I know how painful it is for the fans. Another good club destroyed by terrible ownership.

On a side note, I wonder if any of their players would be available on loan or low fees. I know they'd be on huge wages, but I'd love Chester and Adomah if we could get them.
So it appears that you don't like clubs getting in financial difficulties, but you don't mind picking at the carcass. Much as other clubs did with us when we were in that state.
Delapsus Resurgam - When I fall I shall rise!
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

Gandalf wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:35 pm So it appears that you don't like clubs getting in financial difficulties, but you don't mind picking at the carcass. Much as other clubs did with us when we were in that state.
I don't like sneering at others or the vitriol, or laughing at the fans who will suffer and low paid staff who will lose their jobs.

However I'm angry that clubs can spend ridiculous sums of money thanks to parachute payments or sugar daddies and we can't compete with them, despite being in a better financial state. I'm pleased the club haven't got away with it in a way, but for every Villa, there's a Fulham, Wolves, Cardiff, Brighton, Bournemouth etc who get away with it and face no punishment.

It's about time actual financial implications were brought in and clubs can only live off their actual turnover, not the billionaire owners wallet or sky tv failure money. This will keep happening until something is done.
danhirons
Manager
Manager

Post by danhirons »

SG90 wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:53 pm I don't like sneering at others or the vitriol, or laughing at the fans who will suffer and low paid staff who will lose their jobs.

However I'm angry that clubs can spend ridiculous sums of money thanks to parachute payments or sugar daddies and we can't compete with them, despite being in a better financial state. I'm pleased the club haven't got away with it in a way, but for every Villa, there's a Fulham, Wolves, Cardiff, Brighton, Bournemouth etc who get away with it and face no punishment.

It's about time actual financial implications were brought in and clubs can only live off their actual turnover, not the billionaire owners wallet or sky tv failure money. This will keep happening until something is done.
None of those clubs spent big apart from wolves!

I bet preston and other teams are looking at us being like how can you be spending 4.5 million on one player (forshaw).
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

danhirons wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:19 pm None of those clubs spent big apart from wolves!

I bet preston and other teams are looking at us being like how can you be spending 4.5 million on one player (forshaw).
Yes they did. Bournemouth were fined for failing ffp and had 237% turnover on wages, Brighton lost £40m and had debts of £170m, Cardiff had debts of £100m, Fulham lost £20m every season and had an embargo after they bought McCormack.

Preston are making loses every year and spend more turnover on wages than us. We're the only club who live off our own generated income, not a sugar daddy or parachute payments.
dezzy
Manager
Manager

Post by dezzy »

Sad to see what happening at Villa, a side that went for it, like we are hoping to do, but looking at their spending and wages, it’s ludicrous, wages must be that of lower premiership sides.
Hopefully we’ll go for it, but not quite so full on and poorly!!
I realised I was dyslexic when I went to a toga party dressed as a goat..
danhirons
Manager
Manager

Post by danhirons »

SG90 wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:25 pm Yes they did. Bournemouth were fined for failing ffp and had 237% turnover on wages, Brighton lost £40m and had debts of £170m, Cardiff had debts of £100m, Fulham lost £20m every season and had an embargo after they bought McCormack.

Preston are making loses every year and spend more turnover on wages than us. We're the only club who live off our own generated income, not a sugar daddy or parachute payments.
Didn't realise they had those huge debts fair enough I take it back.

Though surely a sugar wouldn't make much of a difference anyway because of financial fair play. They can't just pump in millions without risking paying huge fines...?
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

danhirons wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:37 pm Didn't realise they had those huge debts fair enough I take it back.

Though surely a sugar wouldn't make much of a difference anyway because of financial fair play. They can't just pump in millions without risking paying huge fines...?
Well that's the problem, it isn't. Ffp was supposed to make clubs live off their own means, but wages and overspending in the Championship is completely unsustainable. The sad thing is if every club had to live off their own backs, we'd walk it, but we pay the price for being well run.
BrewerLeeds
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by BrewerLeeds »

You need turkeys to vote for Christmas in order to enact real change that is needed.

Problem is it's a balancing act that is needed. Something that prevents clubs over reaching, but that doesn't overly penalise smaller clubs who may not have the same foundations or base as the big ones and therefore cannot maybe attract the right quality of player.

While it's good the points deduction for administration has been increased to 12 points as a deterrent, I think a new ruling is required on wages and transfer fees as a % of turnover that could be along the lines of further points deducted.

Take away the competitive advantages of overspending and clubs won't keep doing it.

Finally I know it's slightly off topic but I like the Chinese league rule that you have to spend a % of a transfer fee on youth development. I think that would be perfect here (maybe even throw in community outreach in there too) and it would start to stop this silly money that's going around at the moment.
Brader
First Team
First Team

Post by Brader »

Another case of a club thinking they would walk the league after throwing money at it. It’s absolute madness looking at their wage bill. Few on 70k a week - more than a handful on 40k.

It’s a real shame for them - I can see a few players going for cheaper than market price. Whoever can offer most cash up front will take players like greylish. Similar to smith to United.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Aston Villa say they have reached an agreement with HM Revenue & Customs over their £4m tax bill

The Championship side have also confirmed there are no insolvency practitioners or administration advisors working with the club.

Villa have paid HMRC £500,000 and will pay another £1.2m by the end of the week, it was reported on Wednesday.

Owner Dr Tony Xia said he wanted to reassure fans that plans were being put in place to move the club forward.

Xia has warned of "severe Financial Fair Play challenges" after Villa lost to Fulham in the Championship play-off final last month, costing them at least £160m in revenue.
Gandalf
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Gandalf »

1964white wrote: Sun Jun 10, 2018 12:12 pm Aston Villa say they have reached an agreement with HM Revenue & Customs over their £4m tax bill
err....
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/20 ... -45m-bill/
Delapsus Resurgam - When I fall I shall rise!