Marcelo Bielsa

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
becchio bear
Superstar
Superstar
Twitter: @Becchiobear

Re: Marcelo Bielsa

Post by becchio bear »

I've just been reading about it in the online papers :-D :bear:
I'm going back to 505, I saw them at Sheffield and they were amazing.
NorfolkWhite
Manager
Manager

Post by NorfolkWhite »

Well he's here....well not actually here yet, but on the way - great show of intent from Radz, a gamble yes but as others have said must have taken the job on the back of promises of transfer funds for players he approves, should also unlock and persuade players who may not have come otherwise.

Thumbs up from me - should be interesting whatever happens!
Gurj
Manager
Manager

Post by Gurj »

I don't think, in all my near 40 years of supporting Leeds United, I have ever been so excited at a managerial appointment.
Wilko was outstanding and we will forever be in he's debt for he's achievement but this is just extraordinary for us to pull off the capture of El Loco.

Yes, it may all fall flat and quickly but at least and at long last we are witnessing a real show of ambition. I am convinced he will be backed and with the contacts and respect Bielsa has inside football, I am sure we will be able tap into a much higher calibre of footballer either through permanent signings but more likely via loans from clubs such as City/Spurs for example, what with admiration the likes of Pep/Poch have openly stated for our new coach.

It may be a short bumpy ride we are in for all but I for one cant wait to ride along with it :-)

A great article here ( apologies if someone has already posted it) that details the man, he's career path and he's way of working.

https://trainingground.guru/articles/ma ... lt-manager
LEEDS AND FOREVER PROUD TO BE !!
Ratscoot
Manager
Manager

Post by Ratscoot »

All I can say is WOW :) :) :)
A bumble bee under the laws of physics shouldnt be able to fly, but it does because no one has told it that it can't
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by andrewjohnsmith »

It's a great coup. Glad it finally happened. I'm sure a big part of the negotiations would have been over player wage and salary budget and hopefully that's going to mean some good quality signings coming in. I' sure quite a few will be on their way out too as several don't seem to fit his formation - unless he can retrain them into new positions. His 3-3-1-3 might see a new life for guys like Anita and Dallas too. Who knows? I'm sure it's going to be a busy month ahead.

And I'm sure he's only a short term signing. He never seems to stay anywhere long. But if he gets us through that tight gate (promotion) and into the promised land (premier league) it will be job accomplished.
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by andrewjohnsmith »

And when we get back there - I'll remove that profile picture of the last time we were there
joelufc20
First Team
First Team

Post by joelufc20 »

Wow I'm so excited about this. I've never we been excited about a new manager since well George Graham. After the shitty season we have had I'd just about given up. Faith restored but only if we bring in quality players instead of the usual journeymen and donkies I'm back

That's the key, I don't think the board have any options not to back him as he'll be off if they don't give him what is required, then we'd be back to square one. I'm surprised so many fans turned up to watch that dirge last season, good to hear you haven't totally given up on LUFC Joe
REST IN PEACE GARY SPEED LEEDS UNITED LEGEND

[url}http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/gallery ... n-pictures[/url]
Richard
Subs Bench
Subs Bench
Twitter: @northantsmanvan

Post by Richard »

He wouldn’t have been my choice, far from it but....

He is no yes man, he obviously wants a major say on transfer deals and targets and if the club wanted him badly enough to sign a contract of terms that he set outlining he’s requirements then they surely mean serious business this coming season.

I’m not excited by Bielsa or his ability, I’m far more excited about what this may mean for the signings on the field. If we really are chasing targets like Vydra and Abel then at this level it will make a huge difference on last season.
Haighy
First Team
First Team

Post by Haighy »

Mmmmhh.
Jury's out on this one.
Will he get the financial backing?
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

joelufc20 wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 4:57 am Wow I'm so excited about this. I've never we been excited about a new manager since well George Graham. After the shitty season we have had I'd just about given up. Faith restored but only if we bring in quality players instead of the usual journeymen and donkies I'm back
That's the key, I don't think the board have any options not to back him as he'll be off if they don't give him what is required, then we'd be back to square one. I'm surprised so many fans turned up to watch that dirge last season, good to hear you haven't totally given up on LUFC Joe
Richard
Subs Bench
Subs Bench
Twitter: @northantsmanvan

Post by Richard »

Poor Jerry what’s his name has no chance of joining now, that’s got to be a positive
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Richard wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:46 am Poor Jerry what’s his name has no chance of joining now, that’s got to be a positive
Orta will be disappointed :-D
Bally
First Team
First Team

Post by Bally »

No idea if this will be a good appointment or not just hope he's given time and the fans don't start to get on his back if they don't win in 4 or 5 games,its time for some stability.
gessa

Post by gessa »

Bally wrote: Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:55 am No idea if this will be a good appointment or not just hope he's given time and the fans don't start to get on his back if they don't win in 4 or 5 games,its time for some stability.
Totally agree Bally, they've gone all out to get him, whether it will work out we don't know but they must firmly believe in him, so he needs to be given time, it's ridiculous the amount of managers we get through.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Phil Hay

@PhilHayYEP

Bielsa, speaking via translator: "I had to convince myself (about the job). No-one had to convince me. I was convinced by the strength of Leeds United as a club and an institution, and in a sporting sense." #lufc

Phil Hay

@PhilHayYEP

Bielsa on his tactics in the Championship: "We have an obligation as a managers to put into place what we believe is right. We can't expect people to follow us if we don't believe it ourselves." #lufc

Phil Hay

@PhilHayYEP

Bielsa: "The fans want the protagonist out there on the pitch, rather than just talking about what might happen. I want people to take the game by the scruff of the neck and spend more time in possession of the ball." #lufc

Phil Hay

@PhilHayYEP

Bielsa on transfers: "For the moment we're not intending to bring too many new faces in. From my point of view the club have got plenty of players I feel should remain here, who we should keep." #lufc

Phil Hay

@PhilHayYEP

Bielsa on transfers: "In terms of the process, I get names from Victor Orta, I then give my opinion on them. If we can arrive at an agreement, that's when the process starts."

Phil Hay

@PhilHayYEP

Bielsa on promotion this season: "It's imprudent to promise something you can't be totally certain of. But at the same time it would be impossible not to be dreaming about that. What drives you is having that hope, desire and belief." #lufc

Phil Hay

@PhilHayYEP

Bielsa on what would constitute success this season: "There are many ways to ask questions which you cannot answer. I much prefer to do things by demonstrating, rather than trying to predict."

Phil Hay

@PhilHayYEP

Bielsa on which players won't be staying: "We're trying to keep players who we can promise plenty of game time. I've seen all 51 games that Leeds United played last season so I've got opinions in my head about all the players - but I've not had that day-to-day contact with them."
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Phil Hay

@PhilHayYEP

Bielsa: "The club have got 15 players more than they need. And we still have four or five positions on the field where we need to strengthen."

BEST BIT SO FAR
Signed

King Cjay

Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Phil Hay

@PhilHayYEP

Bielsa says he doesn't want the squad to be "top heavy", with too many players who aren't featuring regularly. "There might be departures so the numbers aren't excessive. Anybody leaving would be more to do with me wanting a lean squad."

Phil Hay

@PhilHayYEP

"But obviously I can't ignore the fact that there are 46 games in this competition (the Championship). We've got one or two youngsters coming through who will be useful in that respect but we might need to add some experienced faces."

Phil Hay

@PhilHayYEP

Bielsa: "We go round the houses in our answers to avoid naming names!" #lufc

Phil Hay

@PhilHayYEP

Dead serious is Bielsa, and making no eye contact with anyone, but slipping little quips in here and there.

Phil Hay

@PhilHayYEP

Bielsa on praise from Guardiola: "I don't like false modesty. Guardiola is the best manager in the world and his ideas have been created by he himself. In any of his teams, I've never seen any traits of my style."

Phil Hay

@PhilHayYEP

in short, taking no credit for Guardiola's managerial career or Pochettino's.
Signed

King Cjay

Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Phil Hay

@PhilHayYEP

Bielsa on budgets: "I spoken at length about what we need and what our aims are. We all agreed that our needs weren't to be exaggerated. We could find solutions." #lufc

Phil Hay

@PhilHayYEP

Bielsa said the signing of his contract took a while because he's "very meticulous and careful in these processes." #lufc

Phil Hay

@PhilHayYEP

Journalist here from Bilbao, asking how Bielsa will cope with the language barrier: "I'm conscious of the importance of getting the written or spoken word across. The biggest factor that gets players going is emotion. But there are other ways of getting things across." #lufc

Phil Hay

@PhilHayYEP

says he managed to get his point across in every country he worked in and "found out the essence of what motivates players." #lufc

Phil Hay

@PhilHayYEP

Bielsa asked about his time at Lille: "Marseille was an unforgettable memory for me. On a football front, Lille has been the saddest moment of my career as a manager."
Phil Hay

@PhilHayYEP

Bielsa on the start to next season: "You never think about easy games as a manager. We're naturally optimistic most of the time. Having my first game at home is something to be excited about."

hil Hay

@PhilHayYEP

Bielsa: "I know everything that a foreign person could possibly know about Leeds United." #lufc

Phil Hay

@PhilHayYEP

Bielsa on last season's failings: "I don't like to evaluate seasons which I didn't take part in. I don't think it's fair to judge managers or players if you haven't been involved. I'd rather excuse myself from that reply, rather than give an empty answer.

hil Hay

@PhilHayYEP

Bielsa says he sees video analysis as "invaluable and indispensable". Says he enjoyed watching Leeds' 51 games. "I see it as a professional obligation to look into things in that detail. I don't want you to think I've looked into them for the sake of it." #lufc

Phil Hay

@PhilHayYEP

Bielsa joking about the club's confidence in him: "If it goes well here it will be down to me. If it goes badly, it will be down to them." #luf

Phil Hay

@PhilHayYEP

Bielsa says he has no plans to make the players sleep at Thorp Arch. "But I'll take it as a suggestion." #lufc
Signed

King Cjay

Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Bielsa's had a little look at his watch. Asks the translator whether he's worn out. Not yet, and we're carrying on....

Phil Hay

@PhilHayYEP

Bielsa on taking English lessons: "I've got lots to thank my mother for but she sent me to English lessons for 15 years as a kid, hoping that today I'd be conducting this in English. I'm going to try (and learn) but I said the same in France and didn't manage it."

Phil Hay

@PhilHayYEP

Bielsa on the Championship: "I've heard that it's supposed to be the sixth or seventh best league in the world. The stadiums here are all great. I've got a flavour for it and a real desire to get going." #lufc

Phil Hay

@PhilHayYEP

Bielsa on his El Loco nickname: "I've got a pre-prepared answer. I was given this nickname because my style of replies in press conferences is quite different. I don't know if you believe that." #lufc

Bielsa on pre-season: "First and foremost is trying to communicate a style, a way of playing. That's especially what it's about." #lufc
Signed

King Cjay

Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Phil Hay

@PhilHayYEP

Bielsa saying this press conference is too much about him. Onto the final question, after 1hr and 20 mins....
Signed

King Cjay