The Visual/Music Discussion Thread

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Re: The Music Discussion Thread - Your favourite Bad Company albums ?

Post by 1964white »

gessa wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:05 pm I have the fiirst 5 on vinyl, Bad Co and Straight Shooter being my favourites but rarely play them now, never got to see Free but saw Bad Co twice.
I also saw Bad Co twice.

Free was my first gig ever :-D
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Had a Beach Boys marathon yesterday. I have 21 Beach Boys albums on my shelves so impossible to play them all

Playlist & my Top 5 albums

Pet Sounds - probably one of my top ten albums of all-time
Smile Sessions
Surfs Up
Beach Boys Today
Friends

And the rest
Summer Days (And Summer Nights!!)
Wild Honey
20/20
Sunflower
Holland
L.A. (Light Album)

One of my favourite later BB songs has to be 'Lady Lynda' from their 1979 album L.A. (Light Album)

Chart stats

The Beach Boys never had a No.1 album in the UK or the USA, Pet Sounds reached No.2 in the UK.
Good Vibrations & Do It Again are the only two BB songs to raech the No.1 spot in the UK
Muppet the Cat

Post by Muppet the Cat »

1964white wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:44 pm Had a Beach Boys marathon yesterday. I have 21 Beach Boys albums on my shelves so impossible to play them all

Playlist & my Top 5 albums

Pet Sounds - probably one of my top ten albums of all-time
Smile Sessions
Surfs Up
Beach Boys Today
Friends

And the rest
Summer Days (And Summer Nights!!)
Wild Honey
20/20
Sunflower
Holland
L.A. (Light Album)

One of my favourite later BB songs has to be 'Lady Lynda' from their 1979 album L.A. (Light Album)

Chart stats

The Beach Boys never had a No.1 album in the UK or the USA, Pet Sounds reached No.2 in the UK.
Good Vibrations & Do It Again are the only two BB songs to raech the No.1 spot in the UK
Sorry 64, but I just can't agree with you on The Beach Boys.

I only had one BB album, Pet Sounds - which I only bought because it always seems to appear in the upper reaches of 'Top 10 Albums of all time' lists and so I thought that I should like it. I really tried, but just didn't. So Pet Sounds found its way to a charity shop many years ago.

Also, (although nothing to do with the music), but it must have one of the worst album covers ever - whatever convinced the BB's that a photo of themselves feeding some goats would make for great album art ?!?!?!?

So all in all if they were playing in the pub down the road and the tickets were free I probably wouldn't bother going.

In fact I like the Katy Perry and Snoop Doggy Dog California Gurls better than the BB's California Girls !! :moggy:
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Re: The Music Discussion Thread - Your favourite Beach Boys albums ?

Post by The Subhuman »

I'm like that with the Rolling Stones ...don't get the attraction. Ooh and Queen
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Muppet the Cat wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:54 pm Sorry 64, but I just can't agree with you on The Beach Boys.

I only had one BB album, Pet Sounds - which I only bought because it always seems to appear in the upper reaches of 'Top 10 Albums of all time' lists and so I thought that I should like it. I really tried, but just didn't. So Pet Sounds found its way to a charity shop many years ago.

Also, (although nothing to do with the music), but it must have one of the worst album covers ever - whatever convinced the BB's that a photo of themselves feeding some goats would make for great album art ?!?!?!?

So all in all if they were playing in the pub down the road and the tickets were free I probably wouldn't bother going.

In fact I like the Katy Perry and Snoop Doggy Dog California Gurls better than the BB's California Girls !! :moggy:
No apologies needed Cat, we all hear music differently :)
1964white

Post by 1964white »

faaip wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:37 pm I'm like that with the Rolling Stones ...don't get the attraction
Are we talking about the greatest rock & roll band in the world here 8-)
hector

Post by hector »

1964white wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:37 pm Are we talking about the greatest rock & roll band in the world here 8-)
No....

we are talking about the over-rated Stones :) :)
Song machine is coming down....
And we're gonna have a party Uhuhu
1964white

Post by 1964white »

hector wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:27 am No....

we are talking about the over-rated Stones :) :)
In your opinion Hector

Billions of music fans would disagree :)
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Tbf billions of music fans love one direction
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
gessa

Post by gessa »

faaip wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:50 am Tbf billions of music fans love one direction
That made me chuckle :)
hector

Post by hector »

gessa wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:30 am That made me chuckle :)
Ditto :tup: :tup:
1964white

Post by 1964white »

faaip wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:50 am Tbf billions of music fans love one direction
Ha ha :)

Tbh many major artists such as the Beatles, Stones, Bowie, Floyd, Queen, Smiths, U2 etc are branded overrated which is totally untrue. Much of it down to the prejudices of their front men, people take a dislike them so their music is labelled crap
All the above artists have written & recorded many great songs & deserve their high status in the history of music.
I'm not a big Queen fan & only enjoy U2's awesome earlier works in the main but all the same they have made a huge contribution over the years
1964white

Re: The Music Discussion Thread - Your favourite Black Sabbath albums ?

Post by 1964white »

Before I went on holiday two weeks ago I was listening to one of Ges's favourite bands, hadn't listened to their albums in a very long time

Black Sabbath

Favourite five albums

Sabbath Bloody Sabbath (strange choice for my favourite Sabbath album I suspect)
Paranoid
Black Sabbath
Vol 4
Masters Of Reality

Remember seeing Sabbath in 1970 at Leeds Town Hall when I was a bit of a head-banger :lol: Paranoid is one of the great rock singles of the 70's

Chart stats

Paranoid was Sabbath's only Top 5 single in the UK

Sabbath's first six studio albums made the UK Top 10 with Paranoid their only No.1 album until the release of their latest album 13 five years ago. I doubt 13 sold nowhere near their earlier back-catalogue albums
Muppet the Cat

Post by Muppet the Cat »

1964white wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:49 am Before I went on holiday two weeks ago I was listening to one of Ges's favourite bands, hadn't listened to their albums in a very long time

Black Sabbath

Favourite five albums

Sabbath Bloody Sabbath (strange choice for my favourite Sabbath album I suspect)
Paranoid
Black Sabbath
Vol 4
Masters Of Reality

Remember seeing Sabbath in 1970 at Leeds Town Hall when I was a bit of a head-banger :lol: Paranoid was one of the great rock singles of the 70's

Chart stats

Paranoid was Sabbath's only Top 5 single in the UK

Sabbath's first six studio albums made the UK Top 10 with Paranoid their only No.1 album until the release of their latest album 13 five years ago. I doubt 13 sold nowhere near their earlier back-catalogue albums
Black Sabbath are one of my favourite bands, although as in the early seventies (at their initial peak) I was of an age where I was still spending my pocket money on Slade, Sweet, Mud and David Bowie singles so didn't come to appreciate them until later.

In terms of Top 5 albums I would go for
1.= Master of Reality or Paranoid (I can never decide which one)
3. Vol 4
4. Black Sabbath
5. Heaven and Hell

Perhaps a surprising choice to include a non Ozzy album, but I think H&H is a great album and in a way halted a slide that the band were on. Also I like Dio's stuff with Rainbow - so although different from Ozzy, he was a great rock vocalist IMO.

I'd never seen Sabbath with Ozzy until going to the last night of the 'The End' tour at the Genting Arena in Birmingham in Feb last year. Whilst Ozzy clearly showed signs of his R&R excess over the years it was a great night :moggy:
gessa

Post by gessa »

Muppet the Cat wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:08 pm Black Sabbath are one of my favourite bands, although as in the early seventies (at their initial peak) I was of an age where I was still spending my pocket money on Slade, Sweet, Mud and David Bowie singles so didn't come to appreciate them until later.

In terms of Top 5 albums I would go for
1.= Master of Reality or Paranoid (I can never decide which one)
3. Vol 4
4. Black Sabbath
5. Heaven and Hell

Perhaps a surprising choice to include a non Ozzy album, but I think H&H is a great album and in a way halted a slide that the band were on. Also I like Dio's stuff with Rainbow - so although different from Ozzy, he was a great rock vocalist IMO.

I'd never seen Sabbath with Ozzy until going to the last night of the 'The End' tour at the Genting Arena in Birmingham in Feb last year. Whilst Ozzy clearly showed signs of his R&R excess over the years it was a great night :moggy:

I was there too, took my young lad, who loves then too and he also likes Rival Sons, so was a double whammy for him.
Did see them on their final tour with Ozzy first time round too :)
gessa

Post by gessa »

Also went to the Heaven and Hell tour with Dio, not Sabbath imo, should have reformed as a new band ,but good album and show.
hector

Post by hector »

Think I will book to see them on their next final tour......
1964white

Post by 1964white »

hector wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:24 pm Think I will book to see them on their next final tour......
:rol:
gessa

Post by gessa »

Black Sabbath
Paranoid
Sabbath Bloody Sabbath
Master Of Reality
Vol 4
1964white

Post by 1964white »

gessa wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:37 pm Black Sabbath
Paranoid
Sabbath Bloody Sabbath
Master Of Reality
Vol 4
We have the same top three but in a different order mate :tup:

Sabbath Bloody Sabbath was such an underrated album probably because it was their 5th release